Ian Entwistle still not finishing heel hooks....

BTW I e-mailed Eddie Cummings a link for this thread, asked him to drop in and clarify in his words the finish protocol in perspective of these gifs etc.

[email protected]

That's the address I could find for him - unless anyone has a more up to date one?
Eddie is focused on finishing grad school and at most he trains 1 or 2 times a week these days. He’s definitely not going to post anything in this thread.

So, he's an idiot because he goes for exciting and high-risk techniques in pursuit of a spectacular finish? It's funny how things change, because about 10 years ago, people on Sherdog would hold a guy like that in special esteem.

The insults and disrespect Entwistle is getting in this thread is pretty ridiculous.
No, he as an idiot because he has no reliable way of getting takedowns aside from pulling guard/leg scissor/leg rolls. It looks really nice when it works, but his style looks pretty ridiculous whenever he fights someone who is kind of good, because it just doesn't work much in mma. Even Ryan Hall has kicks in his game to try and set up imanari rolls/clinches - not going to work against Topuria, but I digress.

Entwistle seems to have forgotten about the other areas in grappling and maxed out leg locks; although, he seems to be doing something wrong, so maybe more like 80/100.

^^ To give due, he's got in the finishing position pretty much within the first minute of every single fight he's had.

I don't think scissor takedowns are the issue.

It's what happens AFTER the takedown, i.e. being unable to finish the heel hook.

If he could finish a heel hook properly, his record would be all W's.

Unfortunately his wiki page says he blew out his own knee in that last attempt to heel hook his opponent.

BJJ dorks who don't compete in mma give me the creeps also, with their ZERO personality.

Lachlan Giles instruction vids on how to finish via rotation are all sorts of incompetent; I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he's intentionally perpetuating misinformation cause that what ZERO personalities do.

No, he as an idiot because he has no reliable way of getting takedowns aside from pulling guard/leg scissor/leg rolls. It looks really nice when it works, but his style looks pretty ridiculous whenever he fights someone who is kind of good, because it just doesn't work much in mma. Even Ryan Hall has kicks in his game to try and set up imanari rolls/clinches - not going to work against Topuria, but I digress.

Entwistle seems to have forgotten about the other areas in grappling and maxed out leg locks; although, he seems to be doing something wrong, so maybe more like 80/100.
Well, his style has worked pretty well. It's gotten him to a 9-4 mark that includes a heel-hook victory in the UFC. And as far as scissors and rolling leglocks; they're just another class of takedown. If you do them right, they can work great and can allow you to bring superior wrestlers and grapplers directly into highly advantageous positions. They've worked countless times in MMA.

But that's really beside the point. Just ripping a fighter like that, especially one who has been posting in this very thread, is just rude and uncalled for. You wanna criticize, criticize, but calling a guy who put it all on the line in front of everyone an idiot because of shortcomings you perceive in his approach is uncalled for.

BJJ dorks who don't compete in mma give me the creeps also, with their ZERO personality.

Lachlan Giles instruction vids on how to finish via rotation are all sorts of incompetent; I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he's intentionally perpetuating misinformation cause that what ZERO personalities do.
What is going on in this thread. Now you're attacking Lachlan, too?

What is going on in this thread. Now you're attacking Lachlan, too?

I'm attacking BJJ dorks and that entire subculture, yes.

They have success in a discipline and think they're Johnny-Bad-Ass all of a sudden.
I'm been to umpteen gyms and seen the same thing - I puke at it.

In fact there was a segment on TUF of Matt Serra saying exactly what i'm saying.

Not mma fighters that use BJJ effectively cause the nature of the character to do one bares no resemblance to the nature of the character to do the other.

A vid was posted earlier of Giles blatently showing incorrect technique;
It could be intentional, or just incompetence, but either way it deserves ridicule.

Can we ban this guy yet? I mean it’s clear as day he was banned previously as the poster EatmyShorts. Isn’t making another account to continue to do the same stupid behavior a bannable offense?

@Peteyandjia
@ any other mod here

A vid was posted earlier of Giles blatently showing incorrect technique;
It could be intentional, or just incompetence, but either way it deserves ridicule.
Maybe, just maybe, he knows something you don't.

Can we ban this guy yet? I mean it’s clear as day he was banned previously as the poster EatmyShorts. Isn’t making another account to continue to do the same stupid behavior a bannable offense?

@Peteyandjia
@ any other mod here
I think his thirst for grappling knowledge is great. But there's a certain level of humility you have to employ when you're disputing the way someone with great success in the art you're attempting to learn more about goes about doing things. Not only that, a certain level of decorum; if you disagree with the way a move is demonstrated, you don't go and call someone a liar or essentially a fraudster, for example. Or in the case of the subject of this thread, you can analyze someone's technique critically without insulting him or presuming that you certainly know better.

That’s my biggest issue with him. Im pretty sure he’s half trolling at this point but at the same time he reminds of that blue belt at the gym who tries to teach everyone when he’s got about 75% understanding overall of what he’s talking about. He’s not technically wrong, but he’s trying to pass his word as law. It’s like saying stuff like the best way to finish an arm bar is thumb to the sky. Not wrong but you sure as hell can finish it at other angles as well.

I actually don’t mind very opinionated people here but when it comes at the cost of giving newer grapplers the wrong idea or possibly driving away actual successful high level grapplers then that’s when I say there’s a problem.

Last edited:
That’s my biggest issue with him. Im pretty sure he’s half trolling at this point but at the same time he reminds of that blue belt at the gym who tries to teach everyone when he’s got about 75% understanding overall of what he’s taking about. He’s not technically wrong, but at he’s trying to pass his word as law. It’s like saying stuff that the best way to finish an arm bar is thumb to the sky. Not wrong but you sure as hell can finish it at other angles as well.

I actually don’t mind very opinionated people here but when it comes at the cost of giving newer grapplers the wrong idea or possibly driving away actual successful high level grapplers then that’s when I say there’s a problem.
I agree completely. A little intellectual humility can go a long way.

@Peteyandjia
@ any other mod here
At the very least I think there should be dubs considered for fighter bashing. Thus type of stuff legitimately pushes away great resources to the community and understandably makes them not want to be here.

So, he's an idiot because he goes for exciting and high-risk techniques in pursuit of a spectacular finish? It's funny how things change, because about 10 years ago, people on Sherdog would hold a guy like that in special esteem.

The insults and disrespect Entwistle is getting in this thread is pretty ridiculous.

Agreed. Similar to what I said before (I'm not going to go back and quote what I said), the man tried (and at times successfully executed) the technique at what most accept is the highest level of the sport that 99.9% of us plebs would not reach and he's the one that's wrong. A bit of perspective please, people.

Ohhhh, the opinion of a successful competitor gets contradicted.....

"Fighter bashing".

lol - God forbid a dude could have his own point of view on matters.

Humility in this game is nothing but hypocrisy.
Martial arts is not about respect, it's about DISrespect.

So for the record, no insults have appeared in ANY of my posts, criticisms yes - insults no.

And if ya'll expect me to reword things to sound more "humble", I got just one gif for ya'll:

<JonesDXSuckIt>

Fighter bashing may be extreme, but doesn’t negate the fact that telling guys like Lachlan they are doing heel hooks wrong is beyond asinine.

It’s like telling OSP he’s got a poor understanding of the von flue choke.

Ohhhh, the opinion of a successful competitor gets contradicted.....

"Fighter bashing".

lol - God forbid a dude could have his own point of view on matters.

Humility in this game is nothing but hypocrisy.
Martial arts is not about respect, it's about DISrespect.

So for the record, no insults have appeared in ANY of my posts, criticisms yes - insults no.

And if ya'll expect me to reword things to sound more "humble", I got just one gif for ya'll:

<JonesDXSuckIt>
Actually, you did straight up insult Lachlan Giles and basically every BJJ competitor. Clearly. None of that was constructive or intelligent criticism. You called him a liar and then basically went on to insult him and everyone top-level BJJ competitor.

Fighter bashing may be extreme, but doesn’t negate the fact that telling guys like Lachlan they are doing heel hooks wrong is beyond asinine.

It’s like telling OSP he’s got a poor understanding of the von flue choke.
It went way beyond giving critical analysis of his technique. He called him a liar and then basically talked about how every top level BJJ competitor was a nerd or whatever.

One can see how, by cupping under the ankle with his near hand on one side, and sheling their toes against his neck on the other, he creates a strong steering wheel structure that imparts rotational torque on the leg, taking all of the slack out, and thus making the hip extension to finish almost effortless.

Back