If 20 year old Mike Tyson started training mma in 2010 how would he have done

This is obviously just a game, but a motivated Mike Tyson, with his head screwed on tight with 2 years of training the rest of mma skills would absolutely be a legitimate thread to any division he decides to fight in. Mike Tyson in 4 ounce gloves with almost no rules, omg....People tend to remember the bad with Mike, as his bad was spectacular, but he has a lot of positives as well. He is a very intelligent guy, and could think well in the ring. He wasn't just an extreme athlete....he was a package of skill, athleticism, ferociousness and dominating boxing style that would absolutely translate to mma had this been possible. It is sad really that Mike's athletic peak was cut so short due to all this madness around him, really by the time Mike came out of prison he was in decline, he was just a circus show at that point.

I would've loved to have seen prime Mike Tyson vs prime Kevin Randleman in PRIDE. I always thought Randleman was physically the closest thing mma had to Tyson. I mean, I know Randleman was a wrestler and Tyson obviously a puncher....but physically those 2 going at it full force with 4 oz gloves would've been amazing to see.

Not very well. He’s too short to add meaningful kicks to his game and even at 20 he had so many years boxing training under his belt I don’t see him changing his stand up to include much else.

question then becomes could be become a successful grappler. No one knows.

I just wouldn’t back him against someone who could use knees elbows and kicks. And there are a lot of wrestlers that would dominate him even if he picked up a few tricks.

Also lack of heart is a big factor in MMA. As soon as he starts losing grappling I could see a lot of complaining to the ref to stand up or simply giving up positions and quitting.

not every well is my bet.

Back