Opinion If you could add a Constitutional Amendment, what would it be?

#1 is absolutely get money out of politics. If there is no money to be made, the only people that are going to want to get involved are people that want power or want to actually help. You should get paid a fairly salary but you shouldn't be able to get rich working in government. If you are somehow became rich after working in government, something is wrong and you should be audited.

- Lobbying would be illegal
- Voting would be a right - not a privilege. You are pre-registered to vote at birth. Whether you choose to vote is still your choice. You never lose your right to vote.
- Term limits for certain positions but you should be able to move around if you desire.

I understand that everyone finds lobbying in the abstract to be distasteful, but how can you ban it without completely getting rid of freedom of speech? I guess that doesn't bother populists?

I would do something around reparations. Something along the lines of giving all African Americans a certain amount of money, tax breaks, business incentives, etc upon their 18th birthday.

Only took 3 posts for the dumbass “get rid of electoral college” propaganda to pop up.

It should be a general right to privacy which includes limitations on how corporations can use our personal information, at least that's what I think.

How about:
If a company, organization, institution, corporation receives federal money....they too must follow the Bill of Rights.

I'd add an amendment that gives me the power to add an unlimited number of anendments

Balanced budget obviously. We stole like a motherfucker from my grandchildren last 35-40 years (few years of Clinton not withstanding). Banks will rule us one day like Greece instead of who we vote for.
Austerity has proved again and again to be most damaging to the people of the country who are least able to weather it.

Only individuals are allowed to donate to political campaigns, and its limited to 2500 dollars a year total. This would include a ban on any big ticket meals, meet and greets, ect ect. You are also banned from donating to politicians outside of your area, so no more money flowing from all over the country into local races where donaters have no real skin in the game.

I agree with this, but it conflicts with the first amendment which allows people to donate to candidates. But there has to be limitations at some point but neither side wants to cut off that cash but it has made certain people more powerful than many many others combined

Nothing matters more than this....

28th Amendment - Taking Money Out of Politics

Only U.S. Citizens of voting age may donate to political campaigns. The limit per year is $5,000 per citizen in total contributions. A citizen may not donate to any campaign outside of their geographic impact.

Impact:
  • No: foreign countries or citizens, corporations, unions, special interest groups can contribute.
  • This includes all ballot measures.
  • Citizens cannot donate to any politician or measure outside of their residency.

Now the government answers to "We the People". Regardless of your ideology, you should be for this, unless you are Pro-Oligarch.... and yes, Citizen's United was an abomination.

Illegalize bribery in the form of lobbying and campaign contributions. All elections publicly financed. How are politicians supposed to work for the people if they believe their job security is controlled by corporations.

Back