Importance of being active as a kid/teenager

Zanderlini

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
There is a number of research articles that made a connection to childhood activity and health and physical development as an adult. Yet we see obese kids now more then ever, and from my teacher friends a lot of todays kids are sedentary, ipad, videogames, tik tok etc. In my opinion this is setting your kid up for failure later on in life.

My question is have any of you lived sedentary childhoods/teenage years then got in shape as adults. How did you become fit, what was the motivator? If you trained any combat sports did you notice any lack of coordination that you had to overcome? How did you deal with it.

Reason I ask some guys seem to have such a harder time picking up grappling, or developing power in their striking than an average person. Almost always that person had a sedentary childhood (in my observations).

Last question is to the parents. Is having a sedentary kid a form of child abuse, whether obese or rail thin? Thoughts?

I was never athletic as a child or a teen. Same as my parents. Sports were just not part of my upbringing. I hated gym class and shied away from physical competition.

It wasn't until my early 20s that I got into fitness, and martial arts were the motivator. On a whim, I joined a university karate club. I had no talent for it, but I discovered I enjoyed being active. I wanted to get stronger, so I started lifting weights. I wanted to have better endurance, so I started running.

It's been 25 years since then, and I've continued to stay active and enjoy working out. I've put time into a lot of different activities over the years, from strength training to yoga to boxing. Jiu-jitsu is the thing I've done the longest and the most.

I still have no talent for any of this stuff. I'm not flexible, I have slow reaction times. I do think my sedentary childhood and youth has been a factor.

But perseverance and technique can take you a long way. Pre-pandemic, when my BJJ gym was still open, I was regularly rolling up guys much younger and more athletic than me. A lot of that can be attributed to sheer mat time and grappling experience. But I also sense I know my own body better than most. Proprioception? Is that the word for it?

So my formative years were not active. But, at this point, I've spent more years in my adulthood being active.

Yeah, did nothing until 20's then longboarded, then in 30's took up kickboxing and was immediately good at it, I just treated it like a computer game with consequences. Have always been coordinated. Motivator was not being comfortable throwing a punch. I won 13 amateur fights, lost zero, in 7 years.

I think you'll find that often uncoordinated people choose to be sedentary, then when they choose to do something they are still uncoordinated.

To your question about parenting, you should give your kid exercise, not feed them in to being fat. Kids are different tho. I have twins, girl is super athletic, learned a push kick from one demonstration aged 5, runs everywhere. Son has hyper mobility, loves comp games, hates running. We get him to do enough but pushing it would alienate him from us.

You gotta listen to the kid.

I competed competitively in soccer from 7-14 years old.

Then I moved away stopped playing. But I joined wrestling around 17 years old and now I'm 22. I think my footwork speed all came from soccer which helped me in my wrestling when moving and going low singles cutting directions etc.

Played multiple sports from 4-collegiate age, TKD, gymnastics. Decades later still look forward to 6 day workouts.

Let my son choose everything he wanted to do and didn't force him to stay in anything. At one point we were leaving TKD, going to baseball and leaving baseball to go to soccer. That was actually too much on small human. Had to drop to 1 sport at a time so he didn't burn out and could play outside.

I didn't do any sports when I was a child, picked up martial arts when I was 18, and stuck with BJJ and some boxing, added in olympic weightlifting/general strength training and have been playing rugby for a few years now. I feel like deliberate practice as well as trying to get in a lot of "play time" to improve coordination have helped me a lot. Play ball with your kids.

Did karate and judo when I was 5-8 maybe.
Was asthmatic so did me some good.

Got bitch slapped in judo in my first event and never did it again.

Took up swimming and tennis until 12 years old. Got ill with 'the hippie disease' (ME) at about 12 then didn't do anything really until 17.
Did some Kempo JJ and then did KB at uni from 18 until 20.
Unexpected parental death drove me a little off the deep end so ended up lifting and transitioned to MT.

Been in the military for the last 10 years and turned in to someone that doesn't have the schedule to support skills based training, but I try and run, lift and hit the bag when I can. Current pandemic aside for lose of gyms.

Being a father now, I'll be getting the boy involved in what I can when I can.
I cannot moan too much at him for his lack of stamina as he is not even 2 yet, but he tries to do pull ups when I get home from work and has a go at ab wheel roll outs.

Yeah, did nothing until 20's then longboarded, then in 30's took up kickboxing and was immediately good at it, I just treated it like a computer game with consequences. Have always been coordinated. Motivator was not being comfortable throwing a punch. I won 13 amateur fights, lost zero, in 7 years.

I think you'll find that often uncoordinated people choose to be sedentary, then when they choose to do something they are still uncoordinated.

To your question about parenting, you should give your kid exercise, not feed them in to being fat. Kids are different tho. I have twins, girl is super athletic, learned a push kick from one demonstration aged 5, runs everywhere. Son has hyper mobility, loves comp games, hates running. We get him to do enough but pushing it would alienate him from us.

You gotta listen to the kid.
That's an interesting point that uncoordinated people tend to choose to be sedentary. That's mostly true. Not always tho, my sedentary brother would get in the olympic pool once a year and smoke my friend who placed 3rd in the state in H.S swimming, but he never wanted to be active. I'm sure he could have at the very minimum got a full ride scholar ship on a college swim team, but you couldn't drag him to be active as a teenager. I always been the opposite if I'm not training something I feel like shit. My sedentary brother probably had better genetic potential but now in our mid 30s I'm probably at least twice as strong as him in every aspect.

I was never athletic as a child or a teen. Same as my parents. Sports were just not part of my upbringing. I hated gym class and shied away from physical competition.

It wasn't until my early 20s that I got into fitness, and martial arts were the motivator. On a whim, I joined a university karate club. I had no talent for it, but I discovered I enjoyed being active. I wanted to get stronger, so I started lifting weights. I wanted to have better endurance, so I started running.

It's been 25 years since then, and I've continued to stay active and enjoy working out. I've put time into a lot of different activities over the years, from strength training to yoga to boxing. Jiu-jitsu is the thing I've done the longest and the most.

I still have no talent for any of this stuff. I'm not flexible, I have slow reaction times. I do think my sedentary childhood and youth has been a factor.

But perseverance and technique can take you a long way. Pre-pandemic, when my BJJ gym was still open, I was regularly rolling up guys much younger and more athletic than me. A lot of that can be attributed to sheer mat time and grappling experience. But I also sense I know my own body better than most. Proprioception? Is that the word for it?

So my formative years were not active. But, at this point, I've spent more years in my adulthood being active.
I think it's great you were able to do that in your 20s, you said martial arts were the motivator, was it a martial arts movie or more like self defense/being able to fight that was the motivator.

I think it's great you were able to do that in your 20s, you said martial arts were the motivator, was it a martial arts movie or more like self defense/being able to fight that was the motivator.

Yeah, I always liked kung fu and karate movies. My av is Michiko Nishiwaki, a Japanese martial artist and fitness model who was in a bunch of Hong Kong action movies in the 1980s.

I’ve been pretty active ever since starting wrestling when I was 16.

one thing I’ve heard and I agree with is that doing a lot of road work at a young age makes it much easier to do when you’re older. I say this because I’m 37 and got into running more at 34 and I still fucking suck at it.

I didn't play any sports competitively as a kid (sure did the neighborhood sports stuff) but I was always thin. I started lifting when I was 18 and stopped at 21.

I hired a personal boxing trainer at 30 and fought competitively for about five years. Oddly enough, I think the lack of stress on my body when I was younger made it easier for me to train in my 30s. I stopped boxing a few years ago and just started getting serious about lifting about 1.5 years ago. I feel like the lifting I did from 18-21 gave me a good head start when returning too it. Assuming I dont do something stupid in the gym, I feel like I'll be able to keep going hard in my 40s as I've been lucky to avoid injuries my whole life.

I didn't play any sports competitively as a kid (sure did the neighborhood sports stuff) but I was always thin. I started lifting when I was 18 and stopped at 21.

I hired a personal boxing trainer at 30 and fought competitively for about five years. Oddly enough, I think the lack of stress on my body when I was younger made it easier for me to train in my 30s. I stopped boxing a few years ago and just started getting serious about lifting about 1.5 years ago. I feel like the lifting I did from 18-21 gave me a good head start when returning too it. Assuming I dont do something stupid in the gym, I feel like I'll be able to keep going hard in my 40s as I've been lucky to avoid injuries my whole life.
I think just being outside playing games with your buddies did you good, some kids have a shitty football/wrestling coach that wrecks their bodies before they ever graduate highschool. It's definitely a mileage thing. I'm 35 and my training philosophy definitely switched in the last year in order to keep myself from doing stupid stuff at my age. Training a year just to get injured and spend another 6months getting to where I was before seems to be counter productive at this time.

some kids have a shitty football/wrestling coach that wrecks their bodies before they ever graduate highschool..

Truth to that. Our coach thought it was a great idea to pair the freshmen with seniors so the older guys could show proper lifts. The difference in a 13-14 yr old and 17-18 yr old was 100s in lifts. They would get tired of taking weights off between sets and tell you just to try and lift it. Back stayed fked up.

Truth to that. Our coach thought it was a great idea to pair the freshmen with seniors so the older guys could show proper lifts. The difference in a 13-14 yr old and 17-18 yr old was 100s in lifts. They would get tired of taking weights off between sets and tell you just to try and lift it. Back stayed fked up.
hahaha that's fucked up

I have always been uncoordinated due to having asperger's. I did join a summer basketball league when I was ten but stopped after one season because I wasnt very good. I was placed in remedial pe classes during elementary and middle school. Most of the middle schools remedial program consisted of lifting with machine weights. I guess Tony middle school thought it would help develop my coordination.
In my junior and senior year of high school,I was recruited to join my high school's track team to compete in shot put and discus . Practice consisted of running a half a hour for the warm up , then lifted weights for about a hour , followed by a hour of practicing throwing our weightlifting sessions were not very well structured and we mostly did things like leg presses and bench pressing.I never placed at events but, I did improve my averages distances during my second year on the team.
I was obese as a teen and continued to gain weight after high school. I got up to 275 when I was around 20 and I'm only around 5'8 -5'10. I started doing about a hour and a half of cardio a night and got down to 200.
I'm around 180 now.
I started taking karate when I turned 24 and I'm currently a blue belt. I've considered cross training in boxing or muay thai or both but , I'm 35 now so I'm probably too old now. I would also like to take a grappling art once
The pandemic ends and gyms start opening up again.
I wish I had started training in martial arts at a younger age . I think it might have helped my development as a child / teenager

I have always been uncoordinated due to having asperger's. I did join a summer basketball league when I was ten but stopped after one season because I wasnt very good. I was placed in remedial pe classes during elementary and middle school. Most of the middle schools remedial program consisted of lifting with machine weights. I guess Tony middle school thought it would help develop my coordination.
In my junior and senior year of high school,I was recruited to join my high school's track team to compete in shot put and discus . Practice consisted of running a half a hour for the warm up , then lifted weights for about a hour , followed by a hour of practicing throwing our weightlifting sessions were not very well structured and we mostly did things like leg presses and bench pressing.I never placed at events but, I did improve my averages distances during my second year on the team.
I was obese as a teen and continued to gain weight after high school. I got up to 275 when I was around 20 and I'm only around 5'8 -5'10. I started doing about a hour and a half of cardio a night and got down to 200.
I'm around 180 now.
I started taking karate when I turned 24 and I'm currently a blue belt. I've considered cross training in boxing or muay thai or both but , I'm 35 now so I'm probably too old now. I would also like to take a grappling art once
The pandemic ends and gyms start opening up again.
I wish I had started training in martial arts at a younger age . I think it might have helped my development as a child / teenager
Congratulations on losing 100 pounds that's absolutely nuts. I'm 35 too when this covid craziness stops I'm going straight back to my old muay thai gym. You won't have any problems in a good muay thai gym. Look for a gym with a mixed bag of people. Everything from pro/ammy fighters and your older "tough guys" to teenagers and women looking to get in shape. What that tells me is that experienced guys have control and there is a good coach there making sure people develop their skills without unnecessarily hurting each other.

There is a number of research articles that made a connection to childhood activity and health and physical development as an adult. Yet we see obese kids now more then ever, and from my teacher friends a lot of todays kids are sedentary, ipad, videogames, tik tok etc. In my opinion this is setting your kid up for failure later on in life.

My question is have any of you lived sedentary childhoods/teenage years then got in shape as adults. How did you become fit, what was the motivator? If you trained any combat sports did you notice any lack of coordination that you had to overcome? How did you deal with it.

Reason I ask some guys seem to have such a harder time picking up grappling, or developing power in their striking than an average person. Almost always that person had a sedentary childhood (in my observations).

Last question is to the parents. Is having a sedentary kid a form of child abuse, whether obese or rail thin? Thoughts?

There are two questions here: 1) how important is starting as a kid to attaining high level in a sport; and 2) how important is training some kind of sport as a kid to not being obese as an adult. I think #2 is the more important question.

I was a sedentary kid who read books and played video games until age 15. Parents taught a generally healthy diet but no one played sports and my dad's philosophy (blue collar guy) was if you had time to play sports outside of school, you should get a job. Due to lifestyle, I had terrible cardio and was always picked last when doing playground sports with other kids.

Summer after HS freshman year, I committed to trying out for the cross country team, after two of my friends encouraged me. I spent the summer running on my own (vs. my friends who went to running camp), had a natural aptitude for it and they put me on the Varsity team after my second race, when I ran faster than my buddies and every other 9th and 10th grade kid on the team. Coming out of that, I figured I might as well run track. I competed 800m and pole vault. Wasn't great but wasn't terrible either and coming out of that figured I might as well try out for wrestling. I WAS terrible at that but by that point had developed very good cardio and mental toughness so I toughed it out, made the team and became a .50 wrestler at JV and Varsity.

By that point, I very much preferred being fit, strong and confident vs. skinny and weak. I've trained consistently for the past 30 years and am now mid-40's and still wear the same size jeans I wore in HS.

Re. question #1: I think starting as a younger kid is practically a requirement to attain high level in any sport with a deep talent pool. I didn't train any sports until age 15 and my base coordination was terrible - I did well at conditioning sports like running, lifting weights etc., but catching a ball, even natural grappling ability, forget about it. I did the best with what I had but 100% convinced my ceiling for kinesthetic awareness would be higher if I had started as a kid. My kids started sports at age 4 and I will be encouraging it until they leave for college.

Re. question #2: had I not suffered through teenage insecurity, I don't know if I would have broken out of my sedentary routine. It's fucking hard to go against years of habit. I've run into countless overweight people in their 20's and 30's who commit to a routine and maybe have some success for a year or two, but eventually fall back into their unhealthy diets and lifestyle. For those who have internalized their training habits, working out is our comfort zone. Going for a run, getting under a barbell or hitting the mats for grappling is as natural as brushing my teeth. I might skip it once in a while if I'm really feeling beat but in general, I can't live without it. For habitually overweight and sedentary people, starting a workout regimen would be like being told to start brushing your teeth for the first time at age 25. It's a PITA, a chore and why do it if you've been surviving OK without it?

Last edited:
Back