IN DEPTH Review: Black Lucky Gi & FightPlanet.ca Service Review * PICS *

Although it may be a defective material/product, i can see why Fightplanet wasn't able to offer an outright exchange; it was a limited run product.

I'm fine with Fightplanets service.... Just not so thrilled about OTMshop and how they basically shoved some oversized gi my way thinking it would be a good replacement :(

It can't be limited, if their still selling them. Like I said I have never had a problem with FightPlanets service. I just feel that OTM should step up and ship you or FightPlanet a new pair of pants. If they can order the Gi's right from Lucky, I'm sure Lucky would have no problem "making" you a new pair of pants seeing how water is putting holes in them. If it was my company I'd have sent you a new pair months ago. They're not custom Gi's, made per person.

I got my gi directly from OTM...Candace there was very nice and was willing to give me a refund for the whole thing if I wasnt happy with the 2nd pair of pants they sent...Overall wasnt impressed at all, so sent back for refund...I mean washing once and getting holes in the pants? It was funny that they couldnt even get the drawstring right in the pants either...All of the above experiences would be ridiculous on a $100 gi, and the was a $250 gi..Some people obviously have better experiences, since they sell all of these things, but I wont be taking another chance with one...OTM's service was friendly and prompt for me though...

Bought my A2 black lucky gi about two months ago.

I gotta say, I love it.

Perfect fit. Pants are holding up fine. Have only hung dry, and I wear it on average, twice a week.

Still holding up. I do several sets of gi pull ups with them, and they're fine. The knee pad stitching holds up fine. I actually use the top to sop of some of my sweat in some of my training.

Yeah, one of the lapel corners at the very bottom is giving out a little, but what do you expect for a a gi that you push to the limits?

BTW, I'm one that doesn't mind a little fade in the gi. Demonstrates that you're putting in work.

Thank you, Scotty and OTM.

BTW, to the TS, here is why you messed up your gi:

So this was something that I NEVER expected to happen. After putting the pants and top in the wash and dryer I took it out to exam.

What does it say IN BOLD LETTERS RIGHT ON THE ON THE LABEL?

93918898.jpg

Why you would reject the directions on such a pricey gi? I don't know.

Now the whole internet thinks these gi's are faulty because you didn't follow directions.

Just sayin.

Sorry Christian Medina,

You are incorrect on this one.

OTMSHOP has already admitted that they had a bad run on the Black Lucky Gi pants. The have also stated that they've since changed their fabric house and also the manufacturer.

If you have read this thread in its entirety then u will also note that others who bought the Black Lucky Gi have also experienced the same defects.

BTW, to the TS, here is why you messed up your gi:

What does it say IN BOLD LETTERS RIGHT ON THE ON THE LABEL?

Why you would reject the directions on such a pricey gi? I don't know.

Now the whole internet thinks these gi's are faulty because you didn't follow directions.

Just sayin.

That's a damn shame because I was considering buying one in the new year. The 60 dollar gi I've worn for 6 months heavily doesn't have a single hole in it.

Hey,

It is a painful experience to get a fancy new product and then be let down. You get so pumped up, you forget how much hard earned $ you spent on what sometimes ends up a bust...
This can only be made worse when you discover you had a hand in the bubble busting...

Following the wash/cleaning instructions on a 270 dollar gi or a 270 dollar leather jacket is PARAMOUNT! You think that expensive means super durable or super carefree. The sad truth is that most expensive stuff requires MORE care and MORE attention to detail because it is specialized/fancy.

Lucky gis are made by Woldorf.
They are not of particular high quality.
They have super fancy embroidery and are "the flavor of the week."

Supply and demand drives rediculous prices on everything from tulip bulbs to gis.
-Yes, history repeats; everyone just forgets...

So, what do you do??? There are great companies making great gis, like Gameness, Koral, Keiko Raca, Padilla, Fuji, Mizuno, Fujita, Isami, Venum and others. These same great companies also occasionally let a bogus gi through quality control.

So, choose wisely and buy from a company using Paypal or a credit card with Online buyer protection. -AND remember, spending more money does not insure you are getting more gi.

My company mynewgi.com tries to make selecting and purchasing a gi seamless.
I have rolled in all the gis I sell and can offer intimate product knowledge.
We offer VERY fair prices and do PRICE MATCH in stock gis.
We ship 3 day USPS, not two week UPS ground...

CB
mynewgi.com

Hey,

It is a painful experience to get a fancy new product and then be let down. You get so pumped up, you forget how much hard earned $ you spent on what sometimes ends up a bust...
This can only be made worse when you discover you had a hand in the bubble busting...

Following the wash/cleaning instructions on a 270 dollar gi or a 270 dollar leather jacket is PARAMOUNT! You think that expensive means super durable or super carefree. The sad truth is that most expensive stuff requires MORE care and MORE attention to detail because it is specialized/fancy.

Lucky gis are made by Woldorf.
They are not of particular high quality.
They have super fancy embroidery and are "the flavor of the week."

Supply and demand drives rediculous prices on everything from tulip bulbs to gis.
-Yes, history repeats; everyone just forgets...

So, what do you do??? There are great companies making great gis, like Gameness, Koral, Keiko Raca, Padilla, Fuji, Mizuno, Fujita, Isami, Venum and others. These same great companies also occasionally let a bogus gi through quality control.

So, choose wisely and buy from a company using Paypal or a credit card with Online buyer protection. -AND remember, spending more money does not insure you are getting more gi.

My company mynewgi.com tries to make selecting and purchasing a gi seamless.
I have rolled in all the gis I sell and can offer intimate product knowledge.
We offer VERY fair prices and do PRICE MATCH in stock gis.
We ship 3 day USPS, not two week UPS ground...

CB
mynewgi.com

All your posts are just poorly veiled attempts to get some free advertising. Cut that shit out.

UPDATE: 12/25/2008

Alright guys, if you have been following this thread, and the problems I had with the pants (material falling apart after 1st wash) and the service that OnTheMat.com provided after the Gi was purchased from an authorized dealer, then here is the POSITIVE update on the situation. :icon_chee

Scotty from OTM Shop was nice enough to send me replacement pants for the Black Lucky Gi months after purchase. I applaud him for his efforts in backing up such a great brand.

The original pants that came with the gi had some manufacturing and material defects. The pants began to fall apart after the FIRST wash, and ripped the FIRST day i rolled in them. Since then, OTM Shop (from their email) has stated they have changed their manufacturer and materials supplier.

The new pants provided feel a lot better. I will be posting a follow up review on the PANTS to see how well they hold up after a few rolls and washes.

Thanks guys.

Gi Fit After 8 Months of Usage

Alright. So I've used this gi for about 8 months now. I was the gi quite often, and since the purchase, have put the gi in the dryer a few times to further shrink it down to fit.

All I can say is it fits me PERFECT now. Pants are above my ankles, sleeves are just right. Length and everything.

BEFORE: 1st wash (cold water, 40-45min heat dryer) *march 08*

93918896.jpg

NOW: 12/25/2008

107436981.jpg

BEFORE: 1st wash (cold water, 40-45min heat dryer) *march 08*

93918894.jpg

NOW: 12/25/2008

107436975.jpg

Thanks StoicDude,

In regards to the color fade, yes it faded a lot, but it looks great still.

The photos don't do it justice (lighting condition / flash etc etc)

PS. I'll be posting up a new review of the Lovato Jr Lucky Gi in just a second :)

thanks for the update, BJJ_addiction.
the black Lucky gi fits you perfectly, now.
congrats on the three stripes, too!
and can't wait for the Lovato Jr. Lucky Gi review!!

Thanks StoicDude,

The photos don't do it justice (lighting condition / flash etc etc)

PS. I'll be posting up a new review of the Lovato Jr Lucky Gi in just a second :)

Sweet...I want to get one but, they are all sold out in my size. Looking foward to your review.

Besides OTM and Fightplanet,is anyone else in the US or Europe still selling the gi in either white or black?I've only found 1 other place in Europe that carries all the sizes.......anyone??

Black Lucky is nice. Ironically though, I think purely on looks, a white belt looks better on it than a blue belt would. For that reason alone, I'd probably choose the white Lucky's instead.

I re-dyed a black gi with the RIT dye you can buy anywhere and it came out great. Even after leaving it to soak all night, the embroidery (the P&S shark logo) didn't absorb the dye but the rest came out great.

I like it better faded. I love it when my black gis look all gray.

Back