IN DEPTH Review: Rafael Lovato Jr Lucky Gi in White

BJJ_addiction

White Belt
Reaction score
General Overview

This is my 2nd Lucky Gi that I've owned now. The first one, the Black Lucky Gi review can be found HERE. It is a great read to compare the differences between the two, so I would recommend reading that one before this review.

I won't be going over FIGHTPLANET.ca's customers service this time, because there isn't a better Canadian MMA/BJJ gear supplier out there than them. Quick, helpful, and reliable. Support 'em if you live in Canada; they don't ship to the USA currently.

This review will be broken down into the following...

Part 1: Lovato Gi Details
- material description
- construction
- Recent updates / how this Gi differs from the other Lucky Gi

Part 2: Lovato Gi Fit (Pre-wash)
- how it fits before wash
- how the Size compares to the Black Lucky Gi before wash

Part 3: Lovato Gi Fit (Post-wash)
- how it fits after wash
- how the Size compares to the Black Lucky Gi after wash

Part 4: Durability / Rolling / Feel... tba
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part 1: Lovato Gi Details

Material Feel

One of the very first things I noticed about the Lovato Gi is how SOFT it is. When you keep hearing about how soft the gi feels inside AND out, they are not lieing. Especially on the INSIDE. I've seen some descriptions of people saying that there is a seperate layer inside the gi, like some sort of seperate soft lining, that is not true; there is not a seperate lining on the inside that's sawn in. It's one of piece fabric, the inside is more soft than the outside, but both sides are quite soft comparing to other Gi's like Atama, or even the regular Lucky Gi's.

The inside of the Gi almost feels like the inside of a zip up hoody. It's soft and almost fuzzy to the touch. I've never worn a gi that felt that way before. If you ever got gi rash burns on ur arms/body, you're probably not going to get it from this Gi lol.

The regular Black and White Lucky Gi series have been described by the manufacturer as being "620 grams, which puts the weight right in-between a typical single weave and a double weave."

Here is a close up picture of exterior material on the regular Black Lucky Gi

107436746.jpg

The new LOVATO gi on the otherhand, has a description of being "made from a super light weight weave."

Here's a close up of the exterior of the Lovato Gi
107436747.jpg

As I was saying before, the INSIDE of the Lovato Gi is extreeeeeeeeemely soft like the inside of a zip up hoody. Take a look at the material on the inside:

107436755.jpg

Construction

No update here really, refer to the other Black Lucky Gi review for construction overview, but they are made identical, and are reinforced in the same spots as well.

Example of the reinforcement in the side of the skirt
107436759.jpg

Recent updates / how this Gi differs from the other Lucky Gi's

The 2 biggest differences you are going to notice between the regular Lucky Gi's and the Lovato Gi is 1.) Material construction (it's softness, and possibly weight) and 2.) The lack of knee pads.

Without having the gi shrunk down to my perfect fit yet, I can't comment too much on the cut. Keep in mind that Lucky Gi's are designed for people with an athletic build.

Photos of the Lovato Gi

Here are some photos of the Lovato Gi and the details that you'll find on it.

Gi Top

107436732.jpg

107436734.jpg

107436736.jpg

107436739.jpg

Gi Pants: Notice, no "built in knee pads", but don't worry, the material in the knee area is double layered

107436684.jpg

Gi Pants Side Patch: Same detail as the black lucky gi

107436688.jpg

Back of the Lovato Gi:

107436767.jpg

Black trim around the bottom front and back of the Gi top

107436768.jpg

Part 2: Lovato Gi Fit (Pre-wash)

Alright, so the main question that EVERYONE has about shopping for a Gi online is "how much does it shrink?". Well, let me tell you, Gi's can shrink quite a bit!!!

Keep in mind I wear an A2, and all pictures are of A2 size gi.

Check out the size difference between my old Lucky and the new Lovato:

Pants:

107436726.jpg

The pants shrunk in length and incredible 15cm's!!!!!! Due note that I have put my pants in the dryer on hot several times to get it down to what I want. These days, I ONLY hang dry, then I will tumble dry with just air to get the fabric soft.

107436728.jpg

Gi Top Comparison:

107436743.jpg

The sleeves shrunk 8 cm's in length! Perfect!!!

107436751.jpg

Pre-wash Wearing the Gi:

As you can see, the Lovato Gi looks MASSIVE on me right now. The sleeves are long, and the pants are even longer!!!!! It's almost scary seeing it this long, it definately feels like it doesn't fit at the moment :redface: but I am confident I can get it shrunk down like my Black lucky.

Lovato BEFORE wash:

107436674.jpg

Black Lucky BEFORE wash:

93918875.jpg

Lovato BEFORE wash:

107436675.jpg

Black Lucky BEFORE wash:

93918877.jpg

Lovato BEFORE wash: Check out the view from the back lol! Looks hella nice, but the pants are so long my heels are riding the bottoms so hard

107436680.jpg

Stay tuned for post-wash pics.

Meerry xmas everyone! I'm goin to have some dinner now hahahaah

It looks like it is the same size as your black lucky before the wash.

My Shoyoroll looked massive on me as well, but it is shrinking nicely.

Good luck and keep us updated.

so far so good, BJJ_addiction.
can't wait for the rest of the review

BTW, what are all those trophies for?

I see you also have an Atama Mundial gi.
what do you do for a living that allows you to have all the most expensive gis?

That's a lot of expensive gis for a white belt. You must be quite sure you are going to stick with it.

That's a lot of expensive gis for a white belt. You must be quite sure you are going to stick with it.

thats what I was going to say. I never understood why people will buy the most expensive gear right off the bat. A friend of mine spent a couple hundred on some muay thai training equipment and didn't go anywhere with it. There's a guy at my Academy that wears the bright yellow Vulcan I think and he has a red one...he's a white belt.

We have alot of metro guys on sherdog into the latest bjj fashion. Seriously.

Nice gi though.

thats what I was going to say. I never understood why people will buy the most expensive gear right off the bat. A friend of mine spent a couple hundred on some muay thai training equipment and didn't go anywhere with it. There's a guy at my Academy that wears the bright yellow Vulcan I think and he has a red one...he's a white belt.

I don't really know how the market for used gi is, but I will say that if you have the money, why not? Why go thru using crappy gear for the first weeks/months/years if you can get the best stuff right away? It's not like you get better if you use less expensive gears.

I remember when I first started playing guitar. Instead of getting an entry level $100 guitar, I got a $700 one. I did get tired of it after half a year, I sold it for about $500ish on eBay. If I bought the cheap guitar, it would have close to zero resale value and I would be playing with an inferior instrument.

I don't really know how the market for used gi is, but I will say that if you have the money, why not? Why go thru using crappy gear for the first weeks/months/years if you can get the best stuff right away? It's not like you get better if you use less expensive gears.

I remember when I first started playing guitar. Instead of getting an entry level $100 guitar, I got a $700 one. I did get tired of it after half a year, I sold it for about $500ish on eBay. If I bought the cheap guitar, it would have close to zero resale value and I would be playing with an inferior instrument.

to each his own, I figure it's the same way with someone who has never rode a motorcycle and buys a brand new R1 versus a starter bike, or like my same friend that spent hundreds of dollars on snowboarding equipment yet still three years down the road cannot do a single trick. If someone has the cash then I guess that's good for them.

Epic review!!!!

heheheh your dog got in on the photos!!!

so far so good, BJJ_addiction.
can't wait for the rest of the review

BTW, what are all those trophies for?

I see you also have an Atama Mundial gi.
what do you do for a living that allows you to have all the most expensive gis?

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the compliments on the review. MORE to come shortly, my gf is kinda peeeeeved that I'm spending so much time on this review on xmas day / boxing day ahhaahah. I think she regrets buying this for me ahahahah. She's the one that bought the Gi for me for an x-mas gift, and I bought her a new Burton board/bindings set so I think we're square :icon_twis

The trophies are from car shows etc, I was balls deep in the scene before, recently got out of it... growing older I guess.

I'm in finances... I am not rich so please dont think that! I'm just good at budgeting :icon_chee

I respect everyone's opinions here on Sherdog, but honestly there really isn't any substance or relevance to this review commenting on WHY I own the Gi's that I own. There is no rule that I have to wear shytty gear until I'm a brown belt, so why not just stop beating a dead horse?

I'm trying to give you guys insight on a product that barely anyone does a review on, so I hope most of you appreciate that :icon_chee

Part 3: Lovato Gi Fit (Post-wash)

Alright. So I had a chance to wash the gi top and bottom yesterday.

Wash and Dry Process:
- Super Soak Cycle (Hot water wash, cold water end cycle rinse) - Wash time of ~25mins
- 2 tsp of RETAYNE. Retayne is a dye lock for cotton, it can be had at most Fabric stores for < $5 a bottle. I decided to not use vinegar and just went for something that is commercially used.
- Dry cycle = 35 mins hot dryer

Results

The results of the 'shrink to fit' process again was wicked!! First wash, and it's shrunk DRAMATICALLY.

Check out the comparison between the Black gi and the Lovato.

Pants (Before and After):

medium.jpg
medium.jpg

Pants Measured (Before and After):

medium.jpg
medium.jpg

Gi Top (Before and After)

medium.jpg
medium.jpg

Nice review. I liked the lucky gi tattos on the inside i wish they would have kept them.

And lets check out how it fits after the wash/dry cycle.

Gi On (Before and After)

medium.jpg
medium.jpg

medium.jpg
medium.jpg

medium.jpg
medium.jpg

medium.jpg
medium.jpg

So, as you can see from the before and after pictures, this Gi can/will shrink down significantly if you want it to. My recommendations for anyone wanting a perfect fit with this Gi (or any other gi brand) is to:

1.) Color treat it with Retayne the FIRST wash. No detergent the first wash, just retayne and hot water wash cycle, and KEEP AN EYE out for when the rinse cycle is so that you can switch the water to COLD for the rinse cycle

2.) Hot dryer 30-45 minutes to shrink down the gi.

3.) After you try it on, and it hasn't shrunk down enough, get the gi wet in cold water, spin it till it's 'dry' then throw it in the hot dryer again to get the size down.

After the gi fits perfectly, all future washes should be in COLD WATER ONLY, and hand dry.

Question: When I hang dry my gi, it always turns out feeling stiff like cardboard. What can I do??

Answer: Always hang dry your gi. If it DOES feel like cardboard after, just throw it in your dryer on the AIR setting for 20 minutes. Air only, no heat. What I find is that the tumbling will soften the fabric. It's the exact same effect if you spend 10 minutes shaking it down and slapping it down on the ground. I'm lazy, so I'll stick it in the dryer for an air cycle. Works PERFECT :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back