*In puré BJJ (gi, no-go, whatever), Who's superior: Prime Maia or prime Burns?*

Burns competed in gi and no gi more recently, so I thought Burns easy. But Maia took his back for a little.

Burns competed in gi and no gi more recently, so I thought Burns easy. But Maia took his back for a little.
way past his prime maia took burns back with relative ease, imagine prime MW maia ...

We'll never know. Both were great. I still believe Maia adapted his BJJ to MMA better than just about anyone, but damn Burns is becoming one of the most well rounded fighters in his division.

Burns doesn't seem as effective in mma as Maia, and doesn't have that same aura, he is still better than everyone else, but not Maia level. Would have been nice to see him and Askren on the ground, even though he would have probably ko'd Askren before it got there.
I'm not sure about pure bjj, don't really watch, I only remember he had a close match with Tonon and got caught with a heelhook

I don't care who would win.

Maia's style is simply more aesthetic. He does not rely on explosive movements. Everything is just smooth and flowing.

Back