Economy Industrial High Tech (Redux)

Pretty cool news from right in my backyard,

IBM Unveils World's First 2 Nanometer Chip Technology

In a shining example of the inexorable march of technology, IBM has unveiled new semiconductor chips with the smallest transistors ever made. The new 2-nanometer (nm) tech allows the company to cram a staggering 50 billion transistors onto a chip the size of a fingernail.

IBM’s new chips pip them all, with transistors now measuring just 2 nm wide – for reference, that's narrower than a strand of human DNA. That, of course, means the tiny transistors can be squeezed onto a chip far more densely than ever before, boosting the device’s processing power and energy efficiency in the process. The company claims that, when compared to current 7-nm chips, the new 2-nm chips can reach 45 percent higher performance or 75 percent lower energy use.

TL;DR: Protect Your Ass & National Assets. This thread is for all things industrial sector, integrated circuits and their intersection with geopolitics. The title is in reference to a bill that was introduced in the 116th U.S. Congress (2019-2020), also known as the Creating Helpful Incentives to Produce Semiconductors (CHIPS) For America Act. A bipartisan, bicameral piece of legislation aimed to establish incentives and investments that support U.S. semiconductor research and development, manufacturing and supply chain security. They're as incompetent and late as they've ever been. Why do these tech components matter so damn much? You don't have to take my word for it.

R1.png

R2.png

In 1945, the U.S. manufacturing sector accounted for over 40% of the entire American workforce; by 2020, that had dwindled down to less than 10%. Despite the heavy losses, elimination and offshoring of factory work in consumer goods and light manufacturing, the US has never lost heavy industry or the production of capital goods. In fact, the sector as whole has only continued to expand in terms of real output and is still responsible for driving 35% of productivity growth, 60% of exports, and 70% of private sector R&D. Every dollar spent in manufacturing contributes $1.89 in growth for industries such business services, retailing and transportation. Along with surplus natural resources, a skilled labor force and penchant for entreprenuership, capital goods are one of the backbones of America's advanced economy.

As we know, integrated circuits are the brains of modern electronics and fundamental to enabling advances in computing, communications, defense, energy, health care, medical devices and transportation, in addition to next generation artificial intelligence, quantum computing and wireless networks. The US spawned this industry into existence following World War II and heading into the 2020s, maintains a roughly 50% global market share. It directly employs over 250,000+ Americans and supports an additional one million US jobs, is one of the country's top three global net exports (aircraft and refined oil) and America's number one contributor to labor productivity growth. None of this should be taken for granted.

In a country that values profit over patriotism, it's great to have multinationals who decide to plant their own corporate flag firmly on U.S. soil. The American semiconductor industry doesn't base a majority of its production in the United States necessarily out of loyalty, but more pragmatic reasons of IP protection and legit concern over industrial espionage (they do not base production in the People's Republic of China). The result and benefit to the country is the same, and for what it's worth they're also far from being the most egregious beneficiaries of government subsidies and tax breaks. In fact, they probably deserve more of them if remaining on the cutting edge of technology is a national priority. It's doubly beneficial when companies based in nations of geopolitical allies make foreign direct capital investments in American manufacturing and stateside job creation.

Of course, there's other well known global players wanting into this high technology game but as they've found out the hard way over decades in embarrassing failed efforts, the know-how to both engineer and manufacture semiconductors at the scale of being competitive in the global market truly is that complex and difficult. The barrier to entry really is that high. Smug @NoDak was right, other Sherdoggers were wrong and he forgives them. It's made all the more seemingly impossible when the kingpin progenitor constantly slams the door on the foreign acquisition of tech assets and implements export controls to choke off access to the materials, machinery, equipment, software and services required to raise their own domestic industry. It's an overtly hostile tool of economic warfare, and the result of being full fledged blacklisted is invariably an inevitable collapse of that corporation.

rzs1.jpg

As far as the aforementioned "CHIPS For America Act", it's an obvious no-brainer for automatic acceptance and chump change given the spending of the federal government these days. It probably doesn't go far enough in some respects given how capital intensive and difficult it is to set up a modern semiconductor fabrication manufacturing plant: An investment tax credit of 40% for semiconductor equipment or facility costs through 2024; $12 billion towards R&D in a variety of subindustries, related fields, and training programs; $10 billion in federal matching to local and state funding in support of advanced manufacturing; $750 million in support of transparency, policy negotiations with foreign powers, and consistency in the semiconductor industry; new programs to boost the nationwide STEM workforce, 5G leadership, and advanced assembly; DoD funding for related projects including the Defense Production Act tie-ins to support rapid production as needed.

Global Industry Snapshot.

rzs2.jpg

rzs3.jpg

SMIC?

cgb.gif

687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f486673535a56332e676966

Pretty cool news from right in my backyard,

IBM Unveils World's First 2 Nanometer Chip Technology

In a shining example of the inexorable march of technology, IBM has unveiled new semiconductor chips with the smallest transistors ever made. The new 2-nanometer (nm) tech allows the company to cram a staggering 50 billion transistors onto a chip the size of a fingernail.

IBM’s new chips pip them all, with transistors now measuring just 2 nm wide – for reference, that's narrower than a strand of human DNA. That, of course, means the tiny transistors can be squeezed onto a chip far more densely than ever before, boosting the device’s processing power and energy efficiency in the process. The company claims that, when compared to current 7-nm chips, the new 2-nm chips can reach 45 percent higher performance or 75 percent lower energy use.

That's really great to see, especially from IBM.

How 'bout old Big Blue, @ElKarlo? Still fighting.

It almost makes you like me, huh? :p

TL;DR: Protect Your Ass & National Assets. This thread is for all things industrial sector, integrated circuits and their intersection with geopolitics. The title is in reference to a bill that was introduced in the 116th U.S. Congress (2019-2020), also known as the Creating Helpful Incentives to Produce Semiconductors (CHIPS) For America Act. A bipartisan, bicameral piece of legislation aimed to establish incentives and investments that support U.S. semiconductor research and development, manufacturing and supply chain security. They're as incompetent and late as they've ever been. Why do these tech components matter so damn much? You don't have to take my word for it.

R1.png

R2.png

In 1945, the U.S. manufacturing sector accounted for over 40% of the entire American workforce; by 2020, that had dwindled down to less than 10%. Despite the heavy losses, elimination and offshoring of factory work in consumer goods and light manufacturing, the US has never lost heavy industry or the production of capital goods. In fact, the sector as whole has only continued to expand in terms of real output and is still responsible for driving 35% of productivity growth, 60% of exports, and 70% of private sector R&D. Every dollar spent in manufacturing contributes $1.89 in growth for industries such business services, retailing and transportation. Along with surplus natural resources, a skilled labor force and penchant for entreprenuership, capital goods are one of the backbones of America's advanced economy.

As we know, integrated circuits are the brains of modern electronics and fundamental to enabling advances in computing, communications, defense, energy, health care, medical devices and transportation, in addition to next generation artificial intelligence, quantum computing and wireless networks. The US spawned this industry into existence following World War II and heading into the 2020s, maintains a roughly 50% global market share. It directly employs over 250,000+ Americans and supports an additional one million US jobs, is one of the country's top three global net exports (aircraft and refined oil) and America's number one contributor to labor productivity growth. None of this should be taken for granted.

In a country that values profit over patriotism, it's great to have multinationals who decide to plant their own corporate flag firmly on U.S. soil. The American semiconductor industry doesn't base a majority of its production in the United States necessarily out of loyalty, but more pragmatic reasons of IP protection and legit concern over industrial espionage (they do not base production in the People's Republic of China). The result and benefit to the country is the same, and for what it's worth they're also far from being the most egregious beneficiaries of government subsidies and tax breaks. In fact, they probably deserve more of them if remaining on the cutting edge of technology is a national priority. It's doubly beneficial when companies based in nations of geopolitical allies make foreign direct capital investments in American manufacturing and stateside job creation.

Of course, there's other well known global players wanting into this high technology game but as they've found out the hard way over decades in embarrassing failed efforts, the know-how to both engineer and manufacture semiconductors at the scale of being competitive in the global market truly is that complex and difficult. The barrier to entry really is that high. Smug @NoDak was right, other Sherdoggers were wrong and he forgives them. It's made all the more seemingly impossible when the kingpin progenitor constantly slams the door on the foreign acquisition of tech assets and implements export controls to choke off access to the materials, machinery, equipment, software and services required to raise their own domestic industry. It's an overtly hostile tool of economic warfare, and the result of being full fledged blacklisted is invariably an inevitable collapse of that corporation.

rzs1.jpg

As far as the aforementioned "CHIPS For America Act", it's an obvious no-brainer for automatic acceptance and chump change given the spending of the federal government these days. It probably doesn't go far enough in some respects given how capital intensive and difficult it is to set up a modern semiconductor fabrication manufacturing plant: An investment tax credit of 40% for semiconductor equipment or facility costs through 2024; $12 billion towards R&D in a variety of subindustries, related fields, and training programs; $10 billion in federal matching to local and state funding in support of advanced manufacturing; $750 million in support of transparency, policy negotiations with foreign powers, and consistency in the semiconductor industry; new programs to boost the nationwide STEM workforce, 5G leadership, and advanced assembly; DoD funding for related projects including the Defense Production Act tie-ins to support rapid production as needed.

Global Industry Snapshot.

rzs2.jpg

rzs3.jpg

SMIC?

cgb.gif

But but but China Joe??????

Word man. Was going to wait til I got on my PC to post this. Yeah man looks like it will change how everything runs. Way more efficient and cooler. From phones to possibly cars. Can’t believe IBM finally got this out and did it right. As they walked away from even fabless 5 years ago

They never really stopped innovating they just focused more resources on AI, Quantum and software development they are basically what's left of the Silicon Valley of the east. Most big tech. companies that where started on the east coast have been bought out by California or Texas based companies. These are hardware technology companies not bio-tech seems to have been growing on the east coast but one has to wonder about Biden moves that favor putting patents out to dry how that will effect big bio-tech firms.

Last edited:

lol, well lets just put it this way, whatever our disagreements on other issues, I believe that when someone does something good they should receive due credit and praise. I really do enjoy your efforts in this area and think you are doing good work here.

Word man. Was going to wait til I got on my PC to post this. Yeah man looks like it will change how everything runs. Way more efficient and cooler. From phones to possibly cars. Can’t believe IBM finally got this out and did it right. As they walked away from even fabless 5 years ago
They never really stopped innovating they just focused more resources on AI, Quantum and software development they are basically what's left of the Silicon Valley of the east. Most big tech. companies that where started on the east coast have been bought out by California or Texas based companies. These are hardware technology companies not bio-tech seems to have been growing on the east coast but one has to wonder about Biden moves that favor putting patents out to dry how that will effect big bio-tech firms.

This is the last 'big thing' I remember out of IBM, which to be fair wasn't that long ago (May 2019). It's hard not to think of it as being past their peak, but I don't think IBM ever really dropped out of being one of the world's top ten technology corps. The longevity is definitely admirable.

This is the last 'big thing' I remember out of IBM, which to be fair wasn't that long ago (May 2019). It's hard not to think of it as being past their peak, but I don't think IBM ever really dropped out of being one of the world's top ten technology corps. The longevity is definitely admirable.

Too bad IBM can’t use AI like this. Man what a waste of potential.
Anyhow would like to see how easily it is made when mass produced. When costs come down and it hits mainstream things like iPhones and what not, will create a new cellphone cycle

Chip shortages are getting really bad Ford is filling up race tracks with inventory on unfinished trucks.

Chip shortages are getting really bad Ford is filling up race tracks with inventory on unfinished trucks.

We need to drop off a ton of Pfizer vaccines on Taiwan. It's tragic how rich, productive allies in East Asia are doing so poorly with vaccinations.

We need to drop off a ton of Pfizer vaccines on Taiwan. It's tragic how rich, productive allies in East Asia are doing so poorly with vaccinations.

+1.

Taiwan's initial response was pretty incredible too.

+1.

Taiwan's initial response was pretty incredible too.
Would make a nice trade. Seems that a lot of places are reaching exhaustion in Covid response. Japan is falling apart now numbers wise

Would make a nice trade. Seems that a lot of places are reaching exhaustion in Covid response. Japan is falling apart now numbers wise

It's been somewhat shocking to me, but I haven't really followed COVID news too closely since the end of last year.

It's been somewhat shocking to me, but I haven't really followed COVID news too closely since the end of last year.
Yeah I come in and out. But Israel was going to pieces before they got the vaccine. Taiwan is starting by to come apart as is South Korea and Singapore.
You can only suck it in so long before you have to let your belly back out

F Intel and their poor chips

we need to give money to nvidia rtx 3090s for all Americans

It just doesn't stop, now here comes the federal government.

It just doesn't stop, now here comes the federal government.

I wonder if anything from the previously-mentioned American Foundries Act made its way into this bill.

The American Foundries Act was introduced almost a year ago but never got off the ground.

Back