Law Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act: Signed into law 11/15/21

Here is the voter roll call
https://www.senate.gov/legislative/...ote_cfm.cfm?congress=117&session=1&vote=00313

Notable Nay Votes:
Cotton
Cruz
Ernst
Hawley
Lee
Paul
Rubio
Sasse
Scott (FL)
Scott (SC)
Toomey (Wtf? He was closely apart of the bill?)

Notably No Vote
Graham

So a lot of the Senators likely considering a 2024 run went the no route.

Edit- That link might just be one of the procedural votes. Can't seem to find the passage one yet on the Senate's site. Regardless, the vote looks to be the same names above under the no column.

Last edited:
Calling it a win for the people is taking a political stance on the bill, it’s saying those who voted against it were voting for an American loss. It’s more of an opinion than a fact. Calling this a win for Biden is more factual because it is a bill that he has been championing.

Now that I think about it, you might want to put Trump in L column if the bill ends up staying popular. He pushed for it to not go through and the fact a lot of GOP senators still voted yes might signal he has less grip on the party now.

Edit: This was also something during his term that he constantly mentioned a plan was in the works and nothing ever got released. A bunch of empty infrastructure weeks.

Now that I think about it, you might want to put Trump in L column if the bill ends up staying popular. He pushed for it to not go through and the fact a lot of GOP senators still voted yes might signal he has less grip on the party now.

Edit: This was also something during his term that he constantly mentioned a plan was in the works and nothing ever got released. A bunch of empty infrastructure weeks.
Trump was the master of "I'll tell you what my health care plan is...it's great, but you have to re elect me before I tell you how awesome it is".

I'm scared to think of how many millions of people bought that.

Does this mean Biden will be cutting more checks?

Tied inextricably together from a political standpoint. I remain steadfast in my decision to post it here with absolutely no commentary associated.

BTW, the political calculations for Republicans on these two infrastructure plans are the most fascinating part. For 19 Republicans to vote for the Biden backed plan, there must be huge pressure from local Republicans to get something for their communities. Donnie is losing his grip.

So to the NY times, its a Biden being handed a Bipartisan win. I get it but like, how about it could be a win to the people of the US? Especially since we are paying for it? I'm not blaming Biden because he didn't write the headline. And I don't know him so it doesn't really matter anyway.

Infrastructure spending is a win for the people because it is incredibly popular with the people and has been needed for a long time. Even Trump ran on it.

Infrastructure spending is a win for the people because it is incredibly popular with the people and has been needed for a long time. Even Trump ran on it.

My point was that should have been the headline. Not that it was a win for Biden. :)

Bill Gates Pledges $1.5 Billion for Infrastructure Bill’s New Climate Projects
The Wall Street Journal
Microsoft Corp. co-founder Bill Gates said his climate investment fund will commit $1.5 billion for joint projects with the U.S. government if Congress enacts a program aimed at developing technologies that lower carbon emissions.

A roughly $1 trillion infrastructure bill passed by the Senate this week would give the Energy Department $25 billion for demonstration projects funded through public-private partnerships, part of more than $100 billion to address climate change. The House hasn’t yet approved the legislation.

Mr. Gates, in an interview with The Wall Street Journal, said a fund run by his Breakthrough Energy could spend the money over three years on projects aimed at slowing the greenhouse-gas emissions that cause climate change. The Breakthrough projects, which would have to compete with other applicants for the funds, could include emissions-free fuel for planes and technology to suck carbon dioxide out of the air.

A possible sign that the bipartisan infrastructure bill and budget reconciliation bill aren't going to be an all or nothing proposal. The infrastructure bill that already passed the Senate will get a vote in the House by the end of the month. Biden has already mentioned he will vote for either bill that gets to his desk but is confident he will get both. Pelosi initially was pushing that this bill wouldn't be going through unless the Senate passed the 3.5T budget reconciliation but that appears it will take longer than to Sept 27th to reach the House with the current disagreements between the 50 democratic senators.

Hoyer affirms House will vote Sept. 27 on bipartisan infrastructure bill
The Hill
House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) on Friday affirmed the chamber will vote on the Senate-passed bipartisan infrastructure bill on Sept. 27, signaling Democratic leaders are still plowing full speed ahead on their planned timeline even though the larger $3.5 trillion bill to invest in social safety net programs still faces tough hurdles.

In a letter to lawmakers previewing this month's legislative session, Hoyer said the House will vote on the bipartisan infrastructure bill the last week of September "pursuant to the rule passed in August."

Under that agreement between Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and a small group of moderates, the House is scheduled to vote Sept. 27 on the bipartisan infrastructure bill even though progressives have long warned they won't support it if the larger, Democratic-only social spending package isn't completed yet.

With a day picked for a vote in the House, a large group of democrats in the Progressive Caucus (96 members) believe even with Republican support, they have enough votes to block the bill. This obviously about getting the Built Back Better Act (budget reconciliation) though as well and trying to link them together as all or nothing. It seems like budget reconciliation is going to take longer than through September so we will see if this is a bluff or not. Right now, I thought the most likely scenario was this bill would get through, budget reconciliation would get through much lower than the initial 3.5T or not at all. I hadn't been putting a lot of odds on both failing but it's really possible if reconciliation stalls and the progressive house members don't budge either. Would be pretty amazing if 2021 ended with neither bill going through.

Liberals get ready to grab wheel of Dem agenda
Politico

Progressives have waited months for their turn to exert control over the Democratic agenda. Now it's here, and liberal leaders are weighing just how far to go.

Speaker Nancy Pelosi's left flank is quietly mulling whether to mobilize its roughly 100-member bloc to tank the centrist-crafted Senate infrastructure bill when it reaches the House floor within a week — unless they're assured that a mammoth Democrats-only social spending bill will also make it to President Joe Biden’s desk.

Progressive leaders see the coming House infrastructure vote as perhaps their most influential moment so far in Biden’s Washington. They were largely sidelined when Pelosi negotiated her way out of a standoff with centrist Democrats last month, and many are eager to demonstrate that the power of an emboldened left can match that of moderates who've repeatedly flexed on leadership over the multitrillion-dollar party-line spending plan.

“Even if there were Republicans that come along" to help the Senate infrastructure bill pass the House this month, said Congressional Progressive Caucus Chair Pramila Jayapal (D-Wash.), "we will have more individuals, more Democrats who are going to vote it down without the reconciliation bill."

So still looks like the infrastructure bill will come to the floor on Monday. Over the last week, GOP House leadership called for it to be voted down which is now leading to an issue if there really are enough votes with possibly 50 progressive caucus reps saying they will vote no and the majority of the GOP house reps likely not replacing those votes. Though 19 GOP senators voted on this, the House seems to always be farther right than the Senate and it's likely going to show here.

U.S. House set to debate $1 trillion infrastructure bill Monday -Pelosi
Reuters

House Democratic leaders said on Friday they intended to forge ahead next week with U.S. President Joe Biden's $3.5 trillion social agenda as well as a $1 trillion bipartisan infrastructure bill.

But with Democrats continuing to squabble over details of the social spending, it was unclear when votes would actually occur.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi wrote a letter to fellow Democrats vowing to "move forward to pass two jobs bills next week."

"The bill will come up on Monday," Pelosi told reporters, referring to the smaller of the two measures that would help spark road, bridge, airport, school and other construction projects. The Senate passed that bill with bipartisan support on Aug. 10.

Looks like 7 GOP House members at the moment have said they will support this bill:
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/...ats-say-theyll-vote-on-infrastructure-billRep.
Brian Fitzpatrick (Pa.), the co-chair of the bipartisan Problem Solvers Caucus, as well as
Reps. Adam Kinzinger (Ill.),
Tom Reed (N.Y.), Don Bacon (Neb.),
Fred Upton (Mich.),
John Katko (N.Y.)
Don Young (Alaska).

Infrastructure investment is good, and I can't think of anyone who would say otherwise. But I have no idea if 3.5 trillion is the right figure. I heard on Public Radio today that Republicans are almost exclusively against it.

Shouldn'tRepublicans be all for infrastructure spending, since one imagines a dispropotionate number of construction company owners are Republican leaning?

The problem with such huge government expenditure is that there is going to be billions in waste and overcharing.

Infrastructure investment is good, and I can't think of anyone who would say otherwise. But I have no idea if 3.5 trillion is the right figure. I heard on Public Radio today that Republicans are almost exclusively against it.

Shouldn'tRepublicans be all for infrastructure spending, since one imagines a dispropotionate number of construction company owners are Republican leaning?

The problem with such huge government expenditure is that there is going to be billions in waste and overcharing.
The price tag number is completely meaningless unless weighed against what you get for it.

Republicans are exclusively against pretty much everything that is progressive, which by definition, human infrastructure is. The Republicans in the Senate are 100% against raising the debt ceiling for instance, by their own words they are against it only because Democrats are in charge of government.

So still looks like the infrastructure bill will come to the floor on Monday. Over the last week, GOP House leadership called for it to be voted down which is now leading to an issue if there really are enough votes with possibly 50 progressive caucus reps saying they will vote no and the majority of the GOP house reps likely not replacing those votes. Though 19 GOP senators voted on this, the House seems to always be farther right than the Senate and it's likely going to show here.

U.S. House set to debate $1 trillion infrastructure bill Monday -Pelosi
Reuters

Looks like 7 GOP House members at the moment have said they will support this bill:
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/...ats-say-theyll-vote-on-infrastructure-billRep.
Brian Fitzpatrick (Pa.), the co-chair of the bipartisan Problem Solvers Caucus, as well as
Reps. Adam Kinzinger (Ill.),
Tom Reed (N.Y.), Don Bacon (Neb.),
Fred Upton (Mich.),
John Katko (N.Y.)
Don Young (Alaska).
It won't be brought to a vote to fail...unless I'm missing some Pelosi tactic.

The 3.5 trillion package is for what the Dems are calling "human" infrastructure and what the GOP is calling Bernie's bill. It has no GOP support that I'm aware of and the Dems can't even get on the same page with it. No one knows when this will actually get a vote.

The actual infrastructure bill that is for roads and bridges and such has passed the Senate and comes to a vote in the House on Monday supposedly. It was drawn up by both parties and has bipartisan support but just how much is still unclear.

There are two different bills here. Infrastructure (this current thread) is 1T. The other bill is reconciliation / Build Back Better act which is being floated at 3.5T (other thread here). They largely have been interconnected because of progressives hopes to make the passing of the infrastucture bill contingent on reconciliation passing as well, which would then total 4.5T.

It won't be brought to a vote to fail...unless I'm missing some Pelosi tactic.

I mean, she's in a hard place here because moderate dems want the vote. I don't know if they would be on board with delay if they really though the votes won't be there or still want it. It's weird because they likely are depending on more GOP votes. This would be their chance essentially to get through infrastructure and then hold up the other human infrastructure, green energy, etc policies.

There are two different bills here. Infrastructure (this current thread) is 1T. The other bill is reconciliation / Build Back Better act which is being floated at 3.5T (other thread here). They largely have been interconnected because of progressives hopes to make the passing of the infrastucture bill contingent on reconciliation passing as well, which would then total 4.5T.

I mean, she's in a hard place here because moderate dems want the vote. I don't know if they would be on board with delay if they really though the votes won't be there or still want it. It's weird because they likely are depending on more GOP votes. This would be their chance essentially to get through infrastructure and then hold up the other human infrastructure, green energy, etc policies.
Yes, they are linked, almost to the point where two threads should become one given there is a lack of political nuance ge really on this board.

If she brings the bill to the floor for the vote, it's possible she has given up on the progressives from a standpoint of negotiation and sided with the moderates, thus putting the progressives feet to the fire and daring them to vote no. I don't think that is a likely scenario because in the event the progressives vote it down, seems that is the end of things on this subject even though they can obviously just bring it up again.

The overwhelmingly likely scenario if there is actually a vote is that the two Democrat sides (progressives and moderates) have an understanding to pass it.

Ipso facto , if she brings it, it passes. Pelosi had never played crazy brinksmanship games.

Back