Instructionals that explain The Gracie defensive and offensive Pisao/ Front Kick before the clinch ?

cheachea

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
The only Instructionals that I've seen that mention them are :

CONTROL THE CHAOS 5 DVD SET WITH BJORN FRIEDRICH

and

Renzo Gracie - Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu with Craig Kukuk

https://www.budovideos.com/products...h-bjorn-friedrich?_pos=1&_sid=a072ce486&_ss=r

https://www.groundfighter.com/Renzo-Gracie-Jiu-Jitsu-Insructional-DVDs/

The
Old School 90's Gracie Instructional shows a basic form of it :

https://www.amazon.com/Gracie-Jiu-Jitsu-Basics-DVD/dp/B0018MUU6I

What other instructionals show this ?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I was taught it at one point sort of like an oblique kick to the knee
I was shown it identically to the Relson video earlier (by my coach under that lineage) and also as more of a front kick to their upper leg with the ball of your lead foot as they advance.

Since the idea is to disrupt their forward momentum and make an opening to clinch you'd probably get the same results with almost any sort of pushing type of kick i'd imagine?

I was shown it identically to the Relson video earlier (by my coach under that lineage) and also as more of a front kick to their upper leg with the ball of your lead foot as they advance.

Since the idea is to disrupt their forward momentum and make an opening to clinch you'd probably get the same results with almost any sort of pushing type of kick i'd imagine?
I would think so? Though I imagine a push kick that's lower would have less room for error in a self defense situation.

I was taught that same clinching concept, maybe a little bit less.emphasis on clinching from the side.

Learned this directly from Rorion and Royce.

I don’t like the way it’s taught in the video. I don’t remember that extra hop step off the rear leg prior to clinching. I think that little hop telegraphs the clinch.

Royce threw the kick many times without such a hop. He simply kicked downward at a near 45° to keep the opponents lead leg from advancing. It’s a distance management tool, and a rhythm breaker, not an assault kick.

When I stopped by Carley Gracie's school he showed the Pisao Technique for some stand up fighting. Like Coconutwater said it is meant to disrupt the rhythm and distant management. Ralston his younger son also showed a couple variation's to where it was similar to a Teep from MT.

Also some of the videos I do not like the way they show the Pisao.

Learned this directly from Rorion and Royce.

I don’t like the way it’s taught in the video. I don’t remember that extra hop step off the rear leg prior to clinching. I think that little hop telegraphs the clinch.

Royce threw the kick many times without such a hop. He simply kicked downward at a near 45° to keep the opponents lead leg from advancing. It’s a distance management tool, and a rhythm breaker, not an assault kick.

We worked this very technique last night. It's one of my favorite to drill with the leg sweep takedown or body lock. After 15 years of training it's still a fav

Funny you post that. Ralston (Carley's Younger son and Clark's little bro) was showing the class variations of the Pisao similar to how a teep is in Muay Thai /Kick Boxing. He said you can use it for both Damage or even to still disrupt the opponents rhythm.

It was very cool how GM Carley Gracie told the class it is similar to Muay Thai.

When I stopped by Carley Gracie's school he showed the Pisao Technique for some stand up fighting. Like Coconutwater said it is meant to disrupt the rhythm and distant management. Ralston his younger son also showed a couple variation's to where it was similar to a Teep from MT.

Also some of the videos I do not like the way they show the Pisao.
Did you get to roll with Carley? How was his instruction?

Did you get to roll with Carley? How was his instruction?
I did not get to roll with GM Carley, but I did get to roll with Ralston (Clark Gracie's younger Brother) he is just as good as Clark. As for GM Carley he is very unique in his teachings. He is very detailed when he shows the Technique but then he also has the class and students help and teach each other as well.

What was cool he did does know there is a lot of new techniques in BJJ and will even give some views and tips on what to do for adjustments I.E. Rubber Guard and such. He is more for practical BJJ but is willing to keep up with the New and evolving times as well. And last he loves to talk about his family and history it was really cool.

I did not get to roll with GM Carley, but I did get to roll with Ralston (Clark Gracie's younger Brother) he is just as good as Clark. As for GM Carley he is very unique in his teachings. He is very detailed when he shows the Technique but then he also has the class and students help and teach each other as well.

What was cool he did does know there is a lot of new techniques in BJJ and will even give some views and tips on what to do for adjustments I.E. Rubber Guard and such. He is more for practical BJJ but is willing to keep up with the New and evolving times as well. And last he loves to talk about his family and history it was really cool.
That's awesome dude. Sorry for the long response time lol don't get on the ol' f12 too much these days.

The old guys like him are treasure troves. Of COURSE they'll be able to keep up with the new stuff if they care to. Carley was one of the old guys that was known for having really clean technique, and I only hear his name spoken on the same level with Relson, Rickson, Rolls, and Carlson as far as being at the top of that second generation. IIRC he got his black belt at a very young age (18) and advanced in degrees quickly. I think it was him that had the law suit with Rorion over the name Gracie Jiu Jitsu, which is unfortunate but all families have rifts.

But anyway-- correct me if I'm wrong, I think he was THE first Gracie to teach in the US. So yeah, that's legendary. Awesome you got to train with him. I've spent the most mat time with Relson-- not a whole lot but man, there ARE levels to this. There's something about the way Relson does everything that, once he has his grips set, you just feel, OK, I'm fucked, and there is absolutely nothing I can do. It's ridiculous. I imagine Carley is similar.

Clark's game is great. My coach loves the omoplata too, and it's something I really worked a lot into my game more from purple, when I started to understand more entries to it-- it really works so well if you use it by surprise. That photo of Clark is a fucking classic.

Back