Economy Intel Corp To Lead DoD US Manufacturing Initiative (+TSMC's American Mega-Factory / Industrial Park)

iirc, qualcomm openly denied this during their conference call (~2 days after intel's PR), so there's an additional grain of salt here.

It would be some shit if they flat out made up and published a direct quote from Qualcomm's CEO. <Lmaoo> This was picked up and reported on by at least a dozen different 'tech' outlets and I haven't seen it rescinded. I'm sure it's contingent on Intel actually being able to deliver. Qualcomm is also part of this DoD initiative as well on a design front (and Intel will certainly be manufacturing those chips) but hasn't gone public with it for whatever reason.

Qualcomm had the Snapdragon and Intel had the whatever. Qualcomm is brilliant but picks too many fights and doesn’t do any in-house manufacturing which is good for being lean but can be bad for leaking IP.

I love how they aren't saying shit. <45>

Intel, Qualcomm Will Design Advanced Chips For US Military

24 August 2021

Chipmakers Intel and Qualcomm have been awarded a contract by the National Security Technology Accelerator (NSTXL) to devise and manufacture chips for the US military.

The two companies were handed the deal as part of the Rapid Assure Microelectronics Prototypes - Commercial (RAMP-C) program, the objective of which is to ensure the US Department of Defense (DoD) has reliable access to the latest 7nm and sub-7nm foundry technologies on home soil. The value and duration of the contract remains unclear, as does the specific role of Qualcomm (as a fabless semiconductor company), but the agreement is supposed to fulfil the “long-term leading edge microelectronics fabrication needs for DoD-specific designs”.

As the NSTXL explains, US chip designers currently rely predominantly on offshore companies (the likes of TSMC and Samsung) for fabrication. For national security and supply reasons, the US DoD would prefer not to have to outsource the manufacturing of its semiconductors. Intel is the largest US-based chip manufacturer, but has repeatedly delayed the rollout of its 7nm process (recently rebranded to Intel 4), which is now set to debut in 2022.

In its own announcement, Intel explains it will partner with a number of domestic companies - including IBM, Cadence and Synopsis - and the first test chips developed for the DoD will be fabricated on Intel 18A, a process technology planned for early 2025. Although Intel has gone public with the contract announcement, Qualcomm has remained silent thus far. TechRadar Pro has asked the chip designer for comment on the significance of the contract and role it will play in the project.

<Dany07>

This is Big Benny. :)

20210824-095712.jpg

20210824-095023.jpg

{<jordan}

That’s awesome. And for jobs that’s great as well.
That’s some serious crane business there. Hundreds of trucks? That’s like the Karl Gustov cannon in wwii. It’s firing officer was a battalion commander or something ridiculous

anyways. Just good stuff all around here

It would be some shit if they flat out made up and published a direct quote from Qualcomm's CEO. <Lmaoo> This was picked up and reported on by at least a dozen different 'tech' outlets and I haven't seen it rescinded. I'm sure it's contingent on Intel actually being able to deliver. Qualcomm is also part of this DoD initiative as well on a design front (and Intel will certainly be manufacturing those chips) but hasn't gone public with it for whatever reason.

k

Hi. This is Sandeep Ramani for Tim Arcuri. I have a couple of questions. Maybe the first one, just given the recent Intel announcement where you're partnering with Intel on IFS, what sort of commitment is this on your part? Is that sort of a volume commitment at this point? I realize it's some ways out, but would it be fair to say that it's going to service the U.S.

consumer?

Cristiano Amon -- President and Chief Executive Officer

Thanks for the question. Look, it's actually very simple. Qualcomm, we're probably one of the few companies that, given our scale, is able to have multi-sourcing at the leading node. We have two strategic partners today, which is TSMC and Samsung.

And we're very excited and happy about Intel deciding to become a foundry and investing in leading node technology to become a foundry. I think that's great news for the United States fabless industry. We are engaged. We are evaluating their technology.

We don't yet have a specific product plan at this point, but we're pretty excited about Intel entering the space. I think we all determined that semiconductors are important and resilient supply chain is only going to benefit our business.

Yeah, it sounds promising.

There is no reason Qualcomm wouldn't welcome an additional foundry competitor into the space given the way it already plays Samsung and TSMC off eachother. There is no way there would already be a specific product plan in place or production agreement set at this point.

Intel has stuck its neck out in about a half-dozen ways since Pat along with an assortment of other golden age engineers returned to the corp earlier this year -- it will either be a monumental success or humiliating failure, gonna be great to watch unfold.

Arizona is going to be swimming in cash pretty soon.
That’s awesome. And for jobs that’s great as well. That’s some serious crane business there. Hundreds of trucks? That’s like the Karl Gustov cannon in wwii. It’s firing officer was a battalion commander or something ridiculous.

anyways. Just good stuff all around here

GPEC is crushing it.

An Arizona economic development group on Tuesday said it had made a deal with Taiwanese economic development officials aimed at making the U.S. state more attractive to Taiwan's semiconductor industry as the world's biggest chipmaker eyes a $12 billion plant in Phoenix.

The Taiwan-USA Industrial Cooperation Promotion Office, which is supported by Taiwan's Ministry of Economic Affairs, signed an agreement with economic development officials in the greater Phoenix area to find ways to bring more of Taiwan's vast semiconductor industry to the metro area. Reuters reported in May that TSMC might build as many as six fabrication plants in the area, some of which could use its most advanced technology.

Chris Camacho, chief executive of the Greater Phoenix Economic Council that signed the agreement Tuesday, said his group is working to co-locate as many TSMC suppliers and other associated companies to the area as possible. He said about 40 companies are currently evaluating Arizona for possible investment, but declined to name them due to confidentiality agreements.

"We're unapologetically pursuing becoming the top global destination for semiconductors and the semiconductor supply chain," he said in an interview.

Heheh.
PROPHET.

ndak.jpg

<36>

Not really, but I have a few personal connects on GPEC (which was just named the top economic development organization in the US). People have no idea how hard the city and state has worked to build up a thorough industry ecosystem and supply chain, no clue how badly we want this. This is decades of planning and aggressive pursuit in the making. The goal is to become nothing short of the semiconductor capital of the world.

semi.jpg
This is decades of planning and aggressive pursuit in the making. The goal is to become nothing short of the semiconductor capital of the world.

There's a reason china cant even make a decent product. It's all trash.

They're having some trouble, though you wouldn't know it if you were going off the hysterical levels of hype over the regime running the country.

Intel has some great hardware talent. They pay very well and it’s not a terrible place to work. Good for them.

Technologically speaking, the semi conductor space will be very important for the next 10-15 years, but AI is the thing we should be investing most heavily in.

There is carry over, of course, but I wouldn’t count China out in the AI race at all.

Intel has some great hardware talent. They pay very well and it’s not a terrible place to work. Good for them.

Quantum Computing: Intel's cryogenic chip shows it can control qubits even in a deep freeze

Intel's quantum computing efforts are starting to show tangible results: two years after the company first unveiled its Horse Ridge cryogenic control chip, researchers have demonstrated that the technology is delivering on its original promise, and paving the way for quantum computers to become more practical.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03469-4

The most promising quantum algorithms require quantum processors that host millions of quantum bits when targeting practical applications. A key challenge towards large-scale quantum computation is the interconnect complexity. In current solid-state qubit implementations, an important interconnect bottleneck appears between the quantum chip in a dilution refrigerator and the room-temperature electronics.

Advanced lithography supports the fabrication of both control electronics and qubits in silicon using technology compatible with complementary metal oxide semiconductors (CMOS). When the electronics are designed to operate at cryogenic temperatures, they can ultimately be integrated with the qubits on the same die or package, overcoming the ‘wiring bottleneck'.

Here we report a cryogenic CMOS control chip operating at 3 kelvin, which outputs tailored microwave bursts to drive silicon quantum bits cooled to 20 millikelvin. We first benchmark the control chip and find an electrical performance consistent with qubit operations of 99.99 percent fidelity, assuming ideal qubits. Next, we use it to coherently control actual qubits encoded in the spin of single electrons confined in silicon quantum dots and find that the cryogenic control chip achieves the same fidelity as commercial instruments at room temperature.

Furthermore, we demonstrate the capabilities of the control chip by programming a number of benchmarking protocols, as well as the Deutsch–Josza algorithm. These results open up the way towards a fully integrated, scalable silicon-based quantum computer.

Exhibit A, @Bald1. Although I've started at least a half dozen other threads of this sort across my various user handles over the last few years. <45>

Good to hear. And I particularly like that TSMC moving more of its production to the US. I feel like TSMC was unwitting bait that would encourage China to attack them and secure the technology.

this is rather crazy. Basically China stole ARM because the west is super greedy

I love how they aren't saying shit. <45>

Intel, Qualcomm Will Design Advanced Chips For US Military

24 August 2021

Chipmakers Intel and Qualcomm have been awarded a contract by the National Security Technology Accelerator (NSTXL) to devise and manufacture chips for the US military.

The two companies were handed the deal as part of the Rapid Assure Microelectronics Prototypes - Commercial (RAMP-C) program, the objective of which is to ensure the US Department of Defense (DoD) has reliable access to the latest 7nm and sub-7nm foundry technologies on home soil. The value and duration of the contract remains unclear, as does the specific role of Qualcomm (as a fabless semiconductor company), but the agreement is supposed to fulfil the “long-term leading edge microelectronics fabrication needs for DoD-specific designs”.

As the NSTXL explains, US chip designers currently rely predominantly on offshore companies (the likes of TSMC and Samsung) for fabrication. For national security and supply reasons, the US DoD would prefer not to have to outsource the manufacturing of its semiconductors. Intel is the largest US-based chip manufacturer, but has repeatedly delayed the rollout of its 7nm process (recently rebranded to Intel 4), which is now set to debut in 2022.

In its own announcement, Intel explains it will partner with a number of domestic companies - including IBM, Cadence and Synopsis - and the first test chips developed for the DoD will be fabricated on Intel 18A, a process technology planned for early 2025. Although Intel has gone public with the contract announcement, Qualcomm has remained silent thus far. TechRadar Pro has asked the chip designer for comment on the significance of the contract and role it will play in the project.

<Dany07>
You can take this to the bank Intel will be slapping AMD silly with their chips by 2023 I know Pat he is a driven technical guy and is bring back a number of guys some I knew working for EMC. They know how to design chips and squeeze performance out of technology. Many worked for Altera and risc chips with Jim Keller at DEC some went with him to Apple. Many came over from Israel and worked on low power chips for EMC back in the 90's and worked with Broadcom on their fiber channel chips. These guys have decades of experience and will likely work just a few years at Intel to get their stuff working.

this is rather crazy. Basically China stole ARM because the west is super greedy

Yeah, this got brought up by jefferz in the other Intel thread PEB started.
Is there any doubt ARM effectively transferred their IP into Chinese hands the minute they signed up for a short sighted, small profit driven bullshit joint venture? The question is what China can actually do with it. If it's anything like their x86 based processors that AMD handed the IP over for then it'll be another laughable exercise in Chinese ineptitude.

if anything, that's still an understatement. iirc, arm/softbank sold 51% of the jv stake for a whole $775M. The deal was monumentally stupid... which sadly, was pretty normal for softbank (ie: wework).

Yeah, this got brought up by jefferz in the other Intel thread PEB started.
That flew under the radar so hard. Basically China bought the IP of ARM for 775 million. Man we let them play games with us and we don’t care.
hopefully the IP becomes obsolete soon
Thanks for the links

I keep reading and seeing on things on Intel.

Time to make an investment?

You can take this to the bank Intel will be slapping AMD silly with their chips by 2023

<DontBelieve1>

i mean... sure, maybe. if it's on tsmc's 3nm process. which only opens up a different can of worms...

Back