Economy Intel Corp To Lead DoD US Manufacturing Initiative (+TSMC's American Mega-Factory / Industrial Park)

The city went directly to TSMC's headquarters to court them. The Mayor along with reps from both the Commerce Authority and Greater Phoenix Economic Council all traveled to Taiwan several times and then TSMC started sending delegations to Phoenix. A few of them became friends and threw birthday parties together (serious, lol). A 3,500 acre site of undeveloped land was rezoned for the purpose of creating a science and technology park.

TSMC committed an initial $12 billion investment to build a factory on it and bought up 1,130 acres of the park, which tipped the hand that they would be building more than one. The city agreed to cover $205 million for water infrastructure, wastewater improvements and a couple miles worth of new roads. The site broke ground a couple months ago and TSMC has since tripled down on capex to bring the Phase 1 spending to almost $36 billion, with two more phases on the development plan.

It's probably going to be around $100 billion by the time they're finished, with a dedicated American-based R&D center and at least six factories on the site.
Ok that’s proof, modern media has no ability to do any research. You’ve poured out tons of info that given probably a few hours of calls and such, anyone could have uncovered.
And that’s a crazy amount of investments and glad your area isn’t over paying to get them to come

glad your area isn’t over paying to get them to come

as long as it's legit (ie: not another foxconn debacle) , there pretty much is no over paying for tsmc... it's kinda like a mastercard commercial.

as long as it's legit (ie: not another foxconn debacle) , there pretty much is no over paying for tsmc... it's kinda like a mastercard commercial.
True.
But there is a point where you are not getting a bargain. Glad they are smart there

Correct.

20210908-032238.jpg

@Deorum just wanna say thanks for linking a YT channel called Asianometry, I'm very picky with what I watch and subscribe to.

@Deorum just wanna say thanks for linking a YT channel called Asianometry, I'm very picky with what I watch and subscribe to.

Yeah, he drops some quality infoz.

The only key player missing from that is Applied Materials and they form the 'Big 3', which I suppose you could really expand to five with Lam Research and KLA Corporation. You can't manufacture cutting edge integrated circuits without them.

Applied Materials, Inc. is an American technology corporation that supplies equipment, services and software for the manufacture of semiconductor (integrated circuit) chips for electronics, flat panel displays for computers, smartphones and televisions, and solar products. The company also supplies equipment to produce coatings for flexible electronics, packaging and other applications.

The company develops and manufactures equipment used in the wafer fabrication steps of creating a semiconductor device, including atomic layer deposition (ALD), chemical vapor deposition (CVD), physical vapor deposition (PVD), rapid thermal processing (RTP), chemical mechanical polishing (CMP), ion implantation and wafer inspection.

Wow I didn’t realize they were that far away from among their own machines. I’m sure they’d re on it like they were on their ball pen plan years ago. But this will take many more layers to succeed

lol @ Made In China 2025, ain't happening.

A bit of history. Fifty years ago this November, America’s Intel laid the foundation of the digital era with the 4004, the world’s first microprocessor. The project had started in 1969 as a partnership with Japan’s Busicom, which had negotiated exclusive rights for the 4004 in calculators. Intel kept the rights for other uses, which by the end of the 1970s would come to include the personal computer. The rest, as they say, is history. Intel, which both designs and manufactures chips, has never given up its overall global sales lead and enjoys the advantages of global scale.

China gets semiconductors. It is the world’s second-largest consumer of semiconductors, a bit behind the U.S. and will soon catch up. But mainland China is miles behind the U.S. when it comes to making advanced microprocessors, which power everything from giant server farms to the world’s 5 billion mobile phones. Thus far, China’s major role in the semiconductor world has been that of assembler and packager.

The absence of a mainland-based company from the top global semiconductor ranks is a strategic black hole for Beijing. Of the world’s top 15 semiconductor companies by sales, eight are in the United States; two each are located in Europe, South Korea and Taiwan; Japan has one. Since semiconductors are the fourth-most traded product in the world (by value) behind only crude oil, refined oil and automobiles, it is puzzling why China has not yet cracked the top 15. One assumes Xi knows this cannot stand if China is to achieve core technological independence by 2025.

The investment needed to achieve Xi’s dream of core tech independence, just in semiconductors, is estimated to cost between $1 trillion to $3 trillion. But reaching that goal will take more than just money. It will take trust in the scientists, engineers, bold thinkers and mavericks, along with experimentation and creative finance required to make it happen. It can’t automatically happen by top-down command. Meanwhile, Intel, Samsung, TSMC and others are not sitting still.

A bit of history. Fifty years ago this November, America’s Intel laid the foundation of the digital era with the 4004, the world’s first microprocessor. The project had started in 1969 as a partnership with Japan’s Busicom, which had negotiated exclusive rights for the 4004 in calculators. Intel kept the rights for other uses, which by the end of the 1970s would come to include the personal computer. The rest, as they say, is history. Intel, which both designs and manufactures chips, has never given up its overall global sales lead and enjoys the advantages of global scale.

China gets semiconductors. It is the world’s second-largest consumer of semiconductors, a bit behind the U.S. and will soon catch up. But mainland China is miles behind the U.S. when it comes to making advanced microprocessors, which power everything from giant server farms to the world’s 5 billion mobile phones. Thus far, China’s major role in the semiconductor world has been that of assembler and packager.

The absence of a mainland-based company from the top global semiconductor ranks is a strategic black hole for Beijing. Of the world’s top 15 semiconductor companies by sales, eight are in the United States; two each are located in Europe, South Korea and Taiwan; Japan has one. Since semiconductors are the fourth-most traded product in the world (by value) behind only crude oil, refined oil and automobiles, it is puzzling why China has not yet cracked the top 15. One assumes Xi knows this cannot stand if China is to achieve core technological independence by 2025.

The investment needed to achieve Xi’s dream of core tech independence, just in semiconductors, is estimated to cost between $1 trillion to $3 trillion. But reaching that goal will take more than just money. It will take trust in the scientists, engineers, bold thinkers and mavericks, along with experimentation and creative finance required to make it happen. It can’t automatically happen by top-down command. Meanwhile, Intel, Samsung, TSMC and others are not sitting still.

Good. Hopefully they won’t have any of that this decade. Anything outside that, I don’t have much confidence in though

Good. Hopefully they won’t have any of that this decade. Anything outside that, I don’t have much confidence in though.

Even the CCP knows they haven't got the capital goods.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-56316943.amp

8 March 2021

China is at least 30 years away from becoming a manufacturing nation of great power, a government advisor told party delegates on Sunday.

Many observers already see China as the "world's factory" given that more than a third of global output from cars to phones comes from there. But China's leaders are concerned about its heavy dependence on the US for high-tech products like semiconductors.

"Basic capabilities are still weak, core technologies are in the hands of others" and China runs the risk of "being hit in the throat" warned Mr. Miao Wei, who was Minister of Industry and Information Technology for a decade.

"China's manufacturing industry has made great achievements in recent years, but the situation of being big but not strong and comprehensive but not good has not been fundamentally changed," Mr. Miao added.

Have you heard about what the Chinese are doing with private schools and tutoring?

I mean just imagine trying to create intelligent and creative people when the state is trying to control fucking tutors.

If American business wasn’t constantly giving them free money, they would already be free falling, IMO. I wonder where all the stupid cock suckers who said Xi was this great president are at. They conflate having extraordinary power with competent rule. Although I suppose if locking down your nation and expelling foreigners is the standard, he is mega competent, he’s like the 3rs iteration of the first Ming Emperor

Okay Okay Okay, but should invest in Intel NOW? Or should I wait 10 years and then invest in them?

Wait a minute, wait a minute, are Intel and TSMC BOTH trying to Make American Great Again? Son of a bitch! They are!

I need you to tell me how to FEEEEEEL about Intel.

Last edited:
Okay Okay Okay, but should invest in Intel NOW? Or should I wait 10 years and then invest in them?

Wait a minute, wait a minute, are Intel and TSMC BOTH trying to Make American Great Again? Son of a bitch! They are!

I need you to tell me how to FEEEEEEL about Intel.

Bet the house on Cyrix.

Even the CCP knows they haven't got the capital goods.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-56316943.amp

8 March 2021

China is at least 30 years away from becoming a manufacturing nation of great power, a government advisor told party delegates on Sunday.

Many observers already see China as the "world's factory" given that more than a third of global output from cars to phones comes from there. But China's leaders are concerned about its heavy dependence on the US for high-tech products like semiconductors.

"Basic capabilities are still weak, core technologies are in the hands of others" and China runs the risk of "being hit in the throat" warned Mr. Miao Wei, who was Minister of Industry and Information Technology for a decade.

"China's manufacturing industry has made great achievements in recent years, but the situation of being big but not strong and comprehensive but not good has not been fundamentally changed," Mr. Miao added.
I know. I want to believe this, but we’re still flooding them with money and tech transfers. I suspect with the USA being a basket case, that others will throw in the it lot with China and it will town more power and money. All the more they will fuel it’s growth

(Reuters) - Intel Corp has broken ground on two new factories in Arizona as part of its turnaround plan to become a major manufacturer of chips for outside customers.

The $20 billion plants - dubbed Fab 52 and Fab 62 - will bring the total number of Intel factories at its campus in Chandler, Arizona, to six. They will house Intel's most advanced chipmaking technology and play a central role in the Santa Clara, California-based company's effort to regain its lead in making the smallest, fastest chips by 2025, after having fallen behind rival Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co Ltd.

The new Arizona plants will also be the first Intel has built from the ground up with space reserved for outside customers. Intel has long made its own chips, but its turnaround plan calls for taking on work for outsiders such as fabless chip designer Qualcomm and Amazon's cloud unit, as well as deepening its manufacturing relationship with the U.S. military.

Intel rival TSMC has also purchased land to build its first U.S. campus in Phoenix, not far from Intel's location, where TSMC plans up to six chip factories, Reuters previously reported.

<{jackyeah}>

"We're unapologetically pursuing becoming the top global destination for semiconductors and the semiconductor supply chain."

Ya Heard? Word.

20210929-204822.jpg

https://chamberbusinessnews.com/202...kind-national-semiconductor-economic-roadmap/

The Arizona Commerce Authority announced the formation of the National Semiconductor Economic Roadmap on Tuesday. Tasked with furthering collaboration between private industry, the public sector, and higher education “to future-proof semiconductor manufacturing in the United States,” the Roadmap is a first-of-its-kind endeavor.

Citing the surging global demand for semiconductors and microchips, stakeholders involved in the project — including the ACA, Intel, and TSMC — believe that there must be more attention paid to the semiconductor industry.

“Today more than ever, we see the strategic importance of a robust U.S. semiconductor industry,” Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger said. “Fostering deeper partnerships with our research institutions, universities, defense institutions, state leaders, and more will be critical to our long-term economic and national security, and we are pleased to join this worthwhile effort.”

TSMC Arizona’s CEO and President Rick Cassidy said there are particular elements essential to a thriving semiconductor sector. “A thriving semiconductor ecosystem requires solid infrastructure, a comprehensive supply chain, and a steady inflow of talented and dedicated people,” he said.

Both Intel and TSMC recently made historic investments in the state and their semiconductor manufacturing operations.

Arizona is going to be swimming in cash pretty soon. This is one step in an all-encompassing plan to modernize the government's structure and how it organizes itself, including the workforce.

emoji-party.gif

Intel can't get staff, not around here. Somewhat troubling as they plan some multi billion extension to be completed soon

Intel can't get staff, not around here. Somewhat troubling as they plan some multi billion extension to be completed soon

Isn't Intel already the largest private employer in the state? Hillsboro has long been the heart of their R&D operations and it was practically mandatory that D1X in Oregon was expanded and upgraded in order to be able to carry out their roadmap through 2025.

Back