Intermittent Fasting to Deal with Gut inflammation.

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by Steven_Universe, Mar 28, 2019.

1. ocean size

ocean size Black Belt

Interesting, a Johns Hopkins page says that since fasting decreases movement in the gallbladder which causes cholesterol to overwhelm the bile.

Maybe she will acclimate over time if that's the case...

Edit: check out this study, looks like gallbladder cholesterol peaks around 15 hours (more than 10 hr or 20 hr), but it declines over extended multi day fasts. So depending on the fasting window she's already on, if your wife really wants to do IF perhaps she could consider trying a longing fasting period.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    Oblivian likes this.
  2. HARRISON_3

HARRISON_3 Gold Belt

That's awesome.

I've been pretty diligent with it for about two weeks and am down probably 3-4 lbs or so.

I've noticed my clothes fitting much looser, too.

Added more compound movements like deadlifts and have cut back on bread, junk food (chips and salsa mostly) and booze.

D Train likes this.
  3. King59

King59 Yellow Belt

Fasting is horrible on your blood sugar!

4. wufabufa

wufabufa Black Belt

If you're an insulin dependent diabetic then sure. Otherwise your body has no problems maintaining healthy blood glucose levels.

5. ocean size

ocean size Black Belt

I hate fads and shit on keto and IF whenever it is justified. Which is why I am upset that you are making me defend IF.

Blood glucose is only elevated the first few hours of a fast. Which oddly enough is the fasting periods you get with a diet called '3 square meals and an afternoon snack'
    [​IMG]

wufabufa and KBE6EKCTAH_CCP like this.
  6. King59

King59 Yellow Belt

Maybe I just dont understand the science behind it nor have I tried it. It sort of compares to when people on Keto tell me they eat fat to lose fat. That literally defies common sense. But idk.

7. ocean size

ocean size Black Belt

There's a lot of bro science surrounding IF. But basically the science says that in a number of ways, having a window where you are fasted is good. It allows for autophagy, cleaning out damaged cells. Lowering your IGF levels decreases cancer risk. Better for triglycerides. And the window helps people lose weight by not snacking all day. People that like to take an evolutionary perspective would say that our ancestors often had periods of low or no food intake so our biology has grown to match.

Regarding keto, the ketards will go on and on about how it is magical. But ultimately, fat is filling, so you don't eat as many calories as you would not on keto. Your body doesn't care if you are eating near pure sugar or pure fat - at the end of the day whatever you take in that you don't burn is going to turn into bodyfat. The rest is just details.

8. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP

KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Québecstan S S R

I tried it briefly a year ago (16h simple one where you essentially just skip breakfast ) and did like how it made me feel, especially my intestines/digestion.

Want to try again but it's a pain in the ass in terms of schedule. Since I need to eat at the latest at 8PM if I want to start fasting early enough, it essentially means that I don't do sport in the evening when I start a fast.

Also, just wanted to add that for people deadling with gut inflammation/bloating/etc., IMO there are steps to do before even thinking about IF, such as removing refined sugar / soda, increasing vegetable intake, and limiting coffee, alcohol and spicy foods.

I know many people who can eat all the shit in the world and have perfect digestion, but for those of us who are not blessed like that, getting one's digestion back on track involves more sacrifice than just fasting, I am afraid.

9. DarkneT

DarkneT LIVERPEWL Platinum Member

I’m on my 3rd week

16-18 hour fast

Weight is coming off and I’m managing the diet well but it doesn’t feel right