Intermittent fasting

TCE

"That's fucking illegal"
Pink Belt
Reaction score
Hey, Sherbros. I wanna know if anyone here has done it or is currently doing it, and what's the best way to do it, in your opinion?

I've been fasting, I have lost weight according to the scale and my belly is shrinking but I can't seem to shift this fat on my face. Since me and the missus broke up a month ago, I went from 12 stone to 11.2 stone in a month, that's about 10 pounds. I'm 5'9" and I'm 31. I've never been a massive guy, small bone dexterity. But since 2016 I put on loads of weight and got pretty fat and unhealthy.

I've been working out for a month now and I am eating healthy, and eating very little. I have about 1 large meal and 1 small meal a day (2 meals in total) but I snack on small amounts of healthy foods in between so I guess that's not really fasting?

I'm wondering what's the best meal plan to follow, what worked best for you? I wanna lose these chubby cheeks and double chin quickly, and just generally lose all the weight and tone up.

Thanks in advance.

What you're describing is more time restricted eating as opposed to a fast. Compressing your eating window makes it difficult to over eat so it's a good tool for weight loss....not great for putting on muscle/weight. Sure it can be done to bulk, but cramming in all of those calories over a period of 2-8 hours is uncomfortable. If you're fasting for health reasons(improved insulin sensitivity/autophagy being the biggest) then you're looking at at least 24 hours between meals to see/feel real benefits.

IF isn't a magic bullet and it seems like the proposed benefits of things like increased growth hormone are pretty overblown. I've done IF and I've also eaten/grazed throughout the day. I've gained, maintained, and lost weight intentionally doing both......and that mainly comes down to the amount you eat and your activity level. Right now I'm trying gain a little weight so I just eat when I'm hungry and track my calories to make sure I'm in a moderate surplus of about 300 per day. I suggest getting a food scale, using MyFitnessPal or Cronometer, and tracking your calories to get a good idea of what adjustments you need to make to your diet to suite your goals.

Most proponents of time restricted eating will suggest a maximum eating window of 8 hours to get your calories in. Where you fit that in throughout the day is up to you. Could be 8am to 4pm, 12pm to 8pm.....whatever is most convenient for you and easy to stick to. What and how much you eat are almost always going to be more important than when.

Just wait 16 hours from your last meal. Don’t drink anything other than water after dinner until the fast is over, also I would put kerrigold butter in my coffee in the morning to hold off any hunger and low energy until it’s time to eat again.

It works good, mostly because it makes it easier to eat less calories, but isn’t some magical weight loss solution. The best way I’ve lost weight was low fat, high carb, high protein macros, along with weight training

Hey, Sherbros. I wanna know if anyone here has done it or is currently doing it, and what's the best way to do it, in your opinion?

I've been fasting, I have lost weight according to the scale and my belly is shrinking but I can't seem to shift this fat on my face. Since me and the missus broke up a month ago, I went from 12 stone to 11.2 stone in a month, that's about 10 pounds. I'm 5'9" and I'm 31. I've never been a massive guy, small bone dexterity. But since 2016 I put on loads of weight and got pretty fat and unhealthy.

I've been working out for a month now and I am eating healthy, and eating very little. I have about 1 large meal and 1 small meal a day (2 meals in total) but I snack on small amounts of healthy foods in between so I guess that's not really fasting?

I'm wondering what's the best meal plan to follow, what worked best for you? I wanna lose these chubby cheeks and double chin quickly, and just generally lose all the weight and tone up.

Thanks in advance.
I found IF really worked for me for a maintenance/slow weight loss over a long period (about 4 months solid) but it didn't result in major weight loss as I found it difficult to get the calories really low without feeling very hungry and having low energy. Ate a high protein, med fat, low carb diet (paleo+). Tried to keep to 200g protein daily.

For feeling better overall however it really worked; a clearer mind, less sluggish, slept really well, no indigestion etc. I also found fasted workouts really worked including weights which surprised me.

I stuck to a 5 hour window following this pattern:

Mon-Fri:
Fasted cardio (7am) - then only water, green tea and black coffee.
Weights or boxing (1.30pm-2.45pm) - immediately BCAAs + creatine in juice and multi vit
3pm-8pm eating window - fruit/veg smoothie + protein powder then 2 small meals, at 8pm a casein shake and omega 3.

Saturday eat all day (just try and be sensible).
Sunday all day fast.

In terms of fast weightloss and that "chubby" look the best I've found is keto - but its a ball ache and I dont think its healthy long term.

Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate it.

I have that MyFitnessPal app but don't have a clue how to use it, lol.

Just wait 16 hours from your last meal. Don’t drink anything other than water after dinner until the fast is over, also I would put kerrigold butter in my coffee in the morning to hold off any hunger and low energy until it’s time to eat again.

It works good, mostly because it makes it easier to eat less calories, but isn’t some magical weight loss solution. The best way I’ve lost weight was low fat, high carb, high protein macros, along with weight training

Atrocious advice. Butter in the morning coffee would break the fast.

Thanks in advance.

In my experience fat on the face and neck area / generally looking bloated results essentially from alcohol.

I know that wisdom says that calories are fungible but my anecdotal experience says otherwise.

Atrocious advice. Butter in the morning coffee would break the fast.
Idgaf about some fast, the butter keeps the hunger away until my eating window is open. Furthermore, if you really care that much about it being a fast, lots of people who think a fast is real say a tablespoon of real butter won’t break it, as it has no carbs or sugar. Either way it keeps hunger away until the feeding window opens

Idgaf about some fast, the butter keeps the hunger away until my eating window is open. Furthermore, if you really care that much about it being a fast, lots of people who think a fast is real say a tablespoon of real butter won’t break it, as it has no carbs or sugar. Either way it keeps hunger away until the feeding window opens

Ok, if you DGAF about the fast, that's great, but why do you fast in the first place then?
And you are wrong. Processing fat will absolutely break a fast.

Maybe intermittent fisting could be more your thing?

Ok, if you DGAF about the fast, that's great, but why do you fast in the first place then?
And you are wrong. Processing fat will absolutely break a fast.

Maybe intermittent fisting could be more your thing?
Because it’s an easy way to keep calories down. Anyone who’s worth a shit says the same thing, there is no magical effect of fasting other than it’s a way to keep your daily calories lower. Fisting as in shoving a fist up my ass?

Whenever I fast--just 16:8, I get really freaking cold. Especially in the hands and feet. Its brutal.

Thanks in advance.
Any update?

How are you doing 5 weeks later?

Any update?

How are you doing 5 weeks later?

I have been losing a little fat, also lost a couple more pounds on the scale. But I do find it very hard to proper stick to it, but it is starting to get easier. My hunger pings are going down. One or two meals a day. But the thing is, I like my beer and drinking sessions, so it's a little tough....

And yesterday/last night for example, I felt a bit depressed so I delved into loads of junk food. Had way more calories than I should have. Felt guilty right after. So today I've just had one meal - a roast and I'm currently on an 18 hour fast and I hope to good I stick to it. Just need to sleep but I'm not tired lol no hunger cravings yet. I'm going to do this.

But the thing is, I like my beer and drinking sessions, so it's a little tough....

Beer is the kryptonite on weightloss.

I once reached my monthly weightloss goal of 10 pounds in a month, went to celebrate with my friends at a bar, and was amazed to see the next morning I was 12 pounds heavier.

So, learn from me. If you have to drink, drink wine.

And yesterday/last night for example, I felt a bit depressed so I delved into loads of junk food. Had way more calories than I should have. Felt guilty right after. So today I've just had one meal - a roast and I'm currently on an 18 hour fast and I hope to good I stick to it. Just need to sleep but I'm not tired lol no hunger cravings yet. I'm going to do this.

There's something I've been drinking to stay extremely hydrated and it keeps me from getting hungry.

*Use one 3-Liter jug of water.
Drink alittle off the top to add this to it.
*1/2 to 3/4 cup of lemon juice.
*Crystal Light packet of your choice (for flavor)
*Two teaspoons of unflavored fiber powder.

Ever had a huge meal and you were hungry again in an hour or two? That's because what you ate didn't have much fiber in it. It keeps you from getting hungry, and drinking alot of water also tricks your stomach into thinking you're full.

I've fasted for 3 days, easily, using that drink, and I'm strongly considering doing it for 7 days just to see how effective it is.

Beer is the kryptonite on weightloss.

I once reached my monthly weightloss goal of 10 pounds in a month, went to celebrate with my friends at a bar, and was amazed to see the next morning I was 12 pounds heavier.

So, learn from me. If you have to drink, drink wine.

There's something I've been drinking to stay extremely hydrated and it keeps me from getting hungry.

*Use one 3-Liter jug of water.
Drink alittle off the top to add this to it.
*1/2 to 3/4 cup of lemon juice.
*Crystal Light packet of your choice (for flavor)
*Two teaspoons of unflavored fiber powder.

Ever had a huge meal and you were hungry again in an hour or two? That's because what you ate didn't have much fiber in it. It keeps you from getting hungry, and drinking alot of water also tricks your stomach into thinking you're full.

I've fasted for 3 days, easily, using that drink, and I'm strongly considering doing it for 7 days just to see how effective it is.

Yeah, the beer definitely isn't helping :( really trying to cut down on that.

I caved and had a second meal, and it's quite late now (12am here). I really only wanted one meal to make up for last nights stupid junk food feast. I know two meals is okay though in your eating window but now I have to adjust my fasting window now, and I'm just going to do a 16 hour fast instead of the 18 (which I've been doing quite comfortably, mind you). Get a work out in when I wake up and aim to eat at 4pm tomorrow (16 hour fast), a salad I'm thinking with an avocado (only just started eating these, after viewing the health benefits it gives you). Have my last meal at 8 or 9 and aim for an 18 hour fast tomorrow night instead.

Thanks for the heads up with the lemon juice and fiber powder. Never thought of doing that. I do have a cup or two of black coffee with no sweeteners/sugar when I wake up, helps me through my workout.

How long have you been fasting? And is it much easier for you now? How long did it take for you to stop craving food at night?

How long have you been fasting? And is it much easier for you now? How long did it take for you to stop craving food at night?

Weightloss has been a three-year journey for me when I was at my heaviest (245 pounds) and its been a process of trial and error.

Losing 34 pounds was relatively easy, just removing unhealthy food and drink from what I ate and replacing them with healthy alternatives.

But for the life of me, I couldn't get below 211 pounds. So I began having protein shakes and intermittent fasting that got me as low as 183 pounds.

But, I got lazy, and most of the last year and a half I've been hovering around 190-200, so I've renewed my motivation to lose more weight and the tricks I used to get to 183 aren't working anymore, so I'm either doing OMAD (One Meal A Day) or fasting.

Hell, I'm even doing a line graph chart on posterboard to keep track of my weight every 12 hours.

Anyway, that's what I've been doing. I'm curious how low in weight I can get before going back to the gym after this whole quarantine is over.

Because it’s an easy way to keep calories down. Anyone who’s worth a shit says the same thing, there is no magical effect of fasting other than it’s a way to keep your daily calories lower. Fisting as in shoving a fist up my ass?

This could work actually, I'd be less likely to eat a lot if I'd just had my hand up my butthole.

Back