Intermittent fasting

MyFitnessPal takes a little getting used to, but it's easy to navigate.

I did a protein shake fast from a Friday night through a Sunday night. Whey protein shakes... blended with just ice and milk. 50g of protein a pop three times a day. I lost two pounds in three days but paid for it by Sunday night by shitting my brains out for two days straight. I'll never do that again.

I think IT is a dumb trend. To go so long without eating and then cram a ton of eating in 8 hours is uncomfortable. Also if you do any kind of exercise is the morning you will be slow sluggish and low energy and will experience low blood sugar.

just ask Mark Wahlberg. The dude bashed IT.

I think there’s some benefit to not constantly be eating though... say not eat 2 hours before going to sleep and not eating with the first hour of waking up. So maybe 11-12 hours max. It gives your body a chance to properly digest and rest without starving yourself in an unhealthy way.

I think IT is a dumb trend
I presume you mean IF?
To go so long without eating and then cram a ton of eating in 8 hours is uncomfortable.
Missing breakfast and eating a good sized lunch and dinner (for example) is hardly cramming a ton of food into 8 hours.
Also if you do any kind of exercise is the morning you will be slow sluggish and low energy and will experience low blood sugar.
Nope, not if you have a modicum of metabolic flexibility anyway; and if you don't, IF can be a useful tool to improve insulin sensitivity (amongst other things).
I personally prefer working out fasted.
just ask Mark Wahlberg. The dude bashed IT
I asked him and he said he's changed his mind somewhat since doing a 5 day bone broth fast. He was more bashing Dr Oz 'cos he thinks he's a prick.

I presume you mean IF?

Missing breakfast and eating a good sized lunch and dinner (for example) is hardly cramming a ton of food into 8 hours.

Nope, not if you have a modicum of metabolic flexibility anyway; and if you don't, IF can be a useful tool to improve insulin sensitivity (amongst other things).
I personally prefer working out fasted.

I asked him and he said he's changed his mind somewhat since doing a 5 day bone broth fast. He was more bashing Dr Oz 'cos he thinks he's a prick.

<mma4>

Yeah, the beer definitely isn't helping :( really trying to cut down on that.

I caved and had a second meal, and it's quite late now (12am here). I really only wanted one meal to make up for last nights stupid junk food feast. I know two meals is okay though in your eating window but now I have to adjust my fasting window now, and I'm just going to do a 16 hour fast instead of the 18 (which I've been doing quite comfortably, mind you). Get a work out in when I wake up and aim to eat at 4pm tomorrow (16 hour fast), a salad I'm thinking with an avocado (only just started eating these, after viewing the health benefits it gives you). Have my last meal at 8 or 9 and aim for an 18 hour fast tomorrow night instead.

Thanks for the heads up with the lemon juice and fiber powder. Never thought of doing that. I do have a cup or two of black coffee with no sweeteners/sugar when I wake up, helps me through my workout.

How long have you been fasting? And is it much easier for you now? How long did it take for you to stop craving food at night?
Sounds like you're torturing yourself a little needlessly. First of all, the beer will increase your hunger without a doubt. Beer and junkfood are my achilles too, so I know it all too well.

There's no doubt that you will need to change your diet and lifestyle habits to lose weight and get in shape, that's just the way it is. It gets a lot easier as times goes along, but you don't have to fast to lose weight. Keto, fasting, IF, high carb, high frequency eating, flexible eating are all just tools to lose weight that will work better or worse for you depending on your preferences and circumstances. The best lifestyle is the one that you can actually follow.

You've already lost 10lbs in a month, that is really great. Well done! It's clear that you want to lose weight, but it's a marathon not a sprint. If you choose to stick to IF and give it a real go, @wufabufa gave some excellent advice, and even if you don't it's still good advice. Knowing is one thing though, doing is another, and that's why you want to pick the path of least resistance.

Anyway, keep up the good work. Keep the strength training up and appreciate the progress. You can get there.

Sounds like you're torturing yourself a little needlessly. First of all, the beer will increase your hunger without a doubt. Beer and junkfood are my achilles too, so I know it all too well.

There's no doubt that you will need to change your diet and lifestyle habits to lose weight and get in shape, that's just the way it is. It gets a lot easier as times goes along, but you don't have to fast to lose weight. Keto, fasting, IF, high carb, high frequency eating, flexible eating are all just tools to lose weight that will work better or worse for you depending on your preferences and circumstances. The best lifestyle is the one that you can actually follow.

You've already lost 10lbs in a month, that is really great. Well done! It's clear that you want to lose weight, but it's a marathon not a sprint. If you choose to stick to IF and give it a real go, @wufabufa gave some excellent advice, and even if you don't it's still good advice. Knowing is one thing though, doing is another, and that's why you want to pick the path of least resistance.

Anyway, keep up the good work. Keep the strength training up and appreciate the progress. You can get there.

Thanks for the post and advice man, really appreciate it.

I'll definitely get there. What weight loss plan are you doing, if you are doing one?

you must eat like a female then. Do you even eat/train/lift bro?
You must have grown up with some big women in your family if you associate eating two 1000+ calorie meals, plus snacks, plus a litre of kefir (a day) with eating "like a female".

You must have grown up with some big women in your family if you associate eating two 1000+ calorie meals, plus snacks, plus a litre of kefir (a day) with eating "like a female".

so you only eat 2000 calories a day? Yes I would associate that with eating like a woman! Try being a man and eat some real food. I run 2 miles per day, lift and train mma. Even a female mma fighter couldn’t live off such a small amount of food!

so you only eat 2000 calories a day? Yes I would associate that with eating like a woman! Try being a man and eat some real food. I run 2 miles per day, lift and train mma. Even a female mma fighter couldn’t live off such a small amount of food!

Dang, you lift and train ufc AND find the energy to do 15 minutes of cardio? Bro, that's crazy.

<{cruzshake}>

I'm over here doing real alpha shit, you wouldn't understand.

Reading comprehension and/or maths not your strong suit huh? That adds up to a hell of a lot more than 2000 calories.

What point is it that you're trying to make anyway? That you wouldn't be able to fit all of your meals into an eight hour (or less) eating window? How many calories do you estimate that you consume in an average day?

Reading comprehension and/or maths not your strong suit huh? That adds up to a hell of a lot more than 2000 calories.

What point is it that you're trying to make anyway? That you wouldn't be able to fit all of your meals into an eight hour (or less) eating window? How many calories do you estimate that you consume in an average day?

I am like a young Michael Phelps/Manny Pacquiao. Burning thousands of calories per day and consuming thousands of calories per day. Sorry bro but im a true athlete and when you’re an athlete you burn a ton of energy. Clearly you are inactive and need to step up your physical exercise playboy. Get some miles in

I am like a young Michael Phelps/Manny Pacquiao. Burning thousands of calories per day and consuming thousands of calories per day. Sorry bro but im a true athlete and when you’re an athlete you burn a ton of energy.
Erm, congratulations?

The magic of fasting isn't that it's the end all to be in in terms of dieting.

It's that people who fast lose less lean muscle than those who don't. People who fast generally loses more fat, just as much weight and reserve their lean muscle mass.

Now no method is for everyone nor is that what i am suggesting but fasting is a great tool in the tool box. In particular 24-48 hour fasts.

Back