Television INVINCIBLE - Dragonlord's Recommendation (Season 2 Returns March 14)

If you have seen the entire season one of INVINCIBLE, how would your rate it?

• Total voters
Of the four comic book series I've watched this year - WandaVision, Invincible, FATWS and Jupiter's Legacy, Invincible is the best. And it's not even close:cool:
I didnt know all these were actually comic book series. I view this as anime style video. Since you're at it, I would say the most recent series I watched that felt much better..... Vinland saga...... if you're going to watch invincible, might as well see other anime at the same time..... that's why I think it's only an ok series at best.

dare I say it's a bit childish and predictable

"Pet" Debbie is laughably out of touch, that it's unbelievable...... that .... could be the title of the show.....
double crossed brutes, you can see a mile away....
bully scene :rolleyes:
evil cyborg robot engineer :rolleyes:
omniman thinking he could actually get away and not get caught :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:, it was an epic scene, I'll give them that.

omniman little to no depth
invincible, and every other teen, no depth, but sort of expected
amber is a dolt
twins, who cares
robot.....
monster girl is wack
atom eve is a brat
rex is a typical jock
heck, I expected more from Cecil

put it this way, out of all the characters, who would hurt you most if they died?

debbie? yes, that would hurt
anyone else, is disposable if they started season two. It could be the pacing wouldnt allow for it, not sure.
the storyline is made for teenagers, the violence for adults

I was gonna start Jupiter last night, but the reviews made me not get around to it. Is this one of the audience loves but critics hate shows?

597cpf.jpg

I have a question for those who's read the comics, and I don't want it to be answered here with anything other than 'Its left ambiguous' or 'yes, its answered, and it'll be in season 2 or 3.'

So Omni-Man is basically all powerful with very few weaknesses. So he was sent to Earth to 'weaken our defenses' to prepare for an invasion, right?

So... why does he act as a double-agent for 20 years? Why defend Earth from monsters? Why aid the Guardians Of The Globe? And what exactly was the event that make him decide that he must kill all of the Guardians?

Was it Mark getting his powers?

And Omni-Man's race must be billions in number, why is the 'Weaken Earth's defenses' mission even neccessary? It's be BILLIONS of Omni-Mans against a very few of Earth's Super Heroes. They'd be completely overwhelmed by just Omni-Man, much less billions of them.

I have a question for those who's read the comics, and I don't want it to be answered here with anything other than 'Its left ambiguous' or 'yes, its answered, and it'll be in season 2 or 3.'

So Omni-Man is basically all powerful with very few weaknesses. So he was sent to Earth to 'weaken our defenses' to prepare for an invasion, right?

So... why does he act as a double-agent for 20 years? Why defend Earth from monsters? Why aid the Guardians Of The Globe? And what exactly was the event that make him decide that he must kill all of the Guardians?

And Omni-Man's race must be billions in number, why is the 'Weaken Earth's defenses' mission even neccessary? It's be BILLIONS of Omni-Mans against a very few of Earth's Super Heroes. They'd be completely overwhelmed by just Omni-Man, much less billions of them.
As per the last part did you miss the scene where he tells Mark they all fought eachother in a hunger games esque battle till only the strongest remained?

Yes, it's answered later on

Of the four comic book series I've watched this year - WandaVision, Invincible, FATWS and Jupiter's Legacy, Invincible is the best. And it's not even close:cool:

I think it obviously has the benefit of not being a smaller side plot like the Marvel series which while mostly well made were lacking in stakes and reheating previous drama.

Again though the main attraction for me was [rian johnson]subverting[/rian johnson] a typical comic story not just by playing on cliches but by merging it with a kind of lovecraftain horror. Not the first "evil superman" I spose but I think much more effective than say Brightburn because it stayed mostly rooted in the conventional so seeing Nolan annihilating an entire planet had a lot more impact to it.

My main worry would be can that style be sustained effectively over time? espeically how do the characters themselves react to it? the original reveal is more direct viewer reaction to the shock of it but just going by that is unlikely to last forever.

I think it obviously has the benefit of not being a smaller side plot like the Marvel series which while mostly well made were lacking in stakes and reheating previous drama.

Again though the main attraction for me was [rian johnson]subverting[/rian johnson] a typical comic story not just by playing on cliches but by merging it with a kind of lovecraftain horror. Not the first "evil superman" I spose but I think much more effective than say Brightburn because it stayed mostly rooted in the conventional so seeing Nolan annihilating an entire planet had a lot more impact to it.

My main worry would be can that style be sustained effectively over time? espeically how do the characters themselves react to it? the original reveal is more direct viewer reaction to the shock of it but just going by that is unlikely to last forever.

I liked Brightburn but agree Invincible did it better. Partly because while Brandon was always a creepy little shit even before he started murdering people, Nolan has had decades of service as the world's greatest Superhero before revealing his true nature. Which makes the shock his friends and family - and the viewer if they haven't read the comics - experience that much greater.

I liked Brightburn but agree Invincible did it better. Partly because while Brandon was always a creepy little shit even before he started murdering people, Nolan has had decades of service as the world's greatest Superhero before revealing his true nature. Which makes the shock his friends and family - and the viewer if they haven't read the comics - experience that much greater.

To be fair Invincible doesnt really depend so much on the shocking reveal, we see Nolan killing the guardians in the first episode and there are plenty of not so subtle hints he's an asshole. I think its moreso the clash between the tone of most of the show and those reveals, shifting from a witty semi obnoxious teenage power fantasy into something more like Akira.

Again I think going forward it might well depend can they move on from that? just dropping back to the tone of the first season I'm not sure I see working, a character who'se been used as a battering ram to decapitate 200 people by his father don't just go back to being a snarky teen.

Oh and I get the Viltrum/Philtrum tach joke now. ;)

Last edited:
A pretty good show. Slow at points. The false sense of stakes is a bit annoying. The gore is a nice change of pace but changes very little overall.

As per the last part did you miss the scene where he tells Mark they all fought eachother in a hunger games esque battle till only the strongest remained?

No, half of an entire planet's population is still a giant number, and supposing they're all as powerful and brutal as Omni-Man the rest of the universe would stand no chance.

And if he was sent to Earth to weaken its defenses, he certainly was going a terrible job of that by destroying so many monsters over 2 decades.

It would have been a much smarter strategy for THOUSANDS of Omni-Man's race to invade a planet so that it didn't have a chance and instill one of their own to rule over it as a new part of their empire while the rest move onto the next planet.

No, half of an entire planet's population is still a giant number, and supposing they're all as powerful and brutal as Omni-Man the rest of the universe would stand no chance.

And if he was sent to Earth to weaken its defenses, he certainly was going a terrible job of that by destroying so many monsters over 2 decades.

It would have been a much smarter strategy for THOUSANDS of Omni-Man's race to invade a planet so that it didn't have a chance and instill one of their own to rule over it as a new part of their empire while the rest move onto the next planet.
Honestly I think he says they don't have that many left but either way story breaker power so they did it this way. Lol

Not read the comics but maybe the implication is that that his very presense weakens earth? its dependance on him means that it doesnt advance its defence in other ways? When his son develops powers he see's its a time were he could expand that dependence even more so he kills the Guardians.

The ultimate intention wouldn't be to have earth in ruins surely, it would be to have it prosperous BUT dependent on his race and willing to accept them as rulers.
I didnt know all these were actually comic book series. I view this as anime style video. Since you're at it, I would say the most recent series I watched that felt much better..... Vinland saga...... if you're going to watch invincible, might as well see other anime at the same time..... that's why I think it's only an ok series at best.

dare I say it's a bit childish and predictable

"Pet" Debbie is laughably out of touch, that it's unbelievable...... that .... could be the title of the show.....
double crossed brutes, you can see a mile away....
bully scene :rolleyes:
evil cyborg robot engineer :rolleyes:
omniman thinking he could actually get away and not get caught :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:, it was an epic scene, I'll give them that.

omniman little to no depth
invincible, and every other teen, no depth, but sort of expected
amber is a dolt
twins, who cares
robot.....
monster girl is wack
atom eve is a brat
rex is a typical jock
heck, I expected more from Cecil

put it this way, out of all the characters, who would hurt you most if they died?

debbie? yes, that would hurt
anyone else, is disposable if they started season two. It could be the pacing wouldnt allow for it, not sure.
the storyline is made for teenagers, the violence for adults

I wouldnt entirely disagree with that, I think the show does kind of hover been something smarter playing on cliches and an example of them.

I do think its the juxtaposition of those two styles that makes it effective, the violence for example is I would say not just for kicks but does rather highlight the difference between the kind of romantic power fantasy of most comic books and the brutally of real conflict. I think there is a dramatic effectiveness to that seeing characters who come across as relatively innocent and naive experience and suffer that degree of brutality.

I would say Omni-man himself is very well played by Simmons, reminds me more than a little of Whiplash in that he manages to create that same uncertainly of intention and even a mass murdering monster isnt totally unlikeble. I think a lot of the effectiveness of the first season really rests on that although again I think other characters seem like they will need to pick up the slack going forward.

Last edited:
Not read the comics but maybe the implication is that that his very presense weakens earth? its dependance on him means that it doesnt advance its defence in other ways?

Possibly.

Or, they could have pulled a 'Godzilla VS King Kong' and developed a counter to Omni-Man in case he 'Broke Bad' and unknowingly made a weapon that could be used against his entire race when they invaded.

When his son develops powers he see's its a time were he could expand that dependence even more so he kills the Guardians.

It just seems kinda odd how he didn't even know if his son would get powers (supposedly), and when he does THAT'S the moment he's like 'I must kill every member of the Guardians.'

Not even when his son is fully trained and he could have planted the seeds of indoctrination into his son over the course of YEARS and it would have had a much higher chance of success than... his son watching him murder the Immortal, and having 'the talk' while being covered in blood, and giving the ultimatum of joining him or beating him to death.

For being THOUSANDS of years old both his planning and reasoning skills are VERY flawed.

"Your mother, in the grand scheme of things she's nothing. To me she's like a pet."

Oh sure, THAT was supposed to convince your own son. Brilliant.

After 20 years on Earth he should have at least learned our ways of communication and reasoning in cases its a more viable means of achieving a goal when brute force isn't an option.

The ultimate intention wouldn't be to have earth in ruins surely, it would be to have it prosperous BUT dependent on his race and willing to accept them as rulers.

And he could have done that single-handedly by just killing all the superheroes, a few world leaders, and declaring himself the conqueror of Earth.

Anyway, I'm going to keep in mind most of this will be explained in Season 2 & 3, and flaws in Omni-Man's planning and logic is just because he's of a race that massacred half its population so the most brutal would rule... so they don't exactly plan things out.

Back