Is a lifting belt cheating?

deadshot138

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I’ve always been of the mind that a lifting belt is cheating since you can brace against it and keep yourself upright against weights that might otherwise fold you over.

However, it seems counterintuitive to your lower half to let the weights you lift be dictated by your core strength if a belt is available. How many of you train with a belt and when do you usually throw it on?

I’ve always been of the mind that a lifting belt is cheating since you can brace against it and keep yourself upright against weights that might otherwise fold you over.

However, it seems counterintuitive to your lower half to let the weights you lift be dictated by your core strength if a belt is available. How many of you train with a belt and when do you usually throw it on?

I think waloo hacked your account bro.

A lifting belt helps with bracing and for most people allows them to lift more weight. I can lift more with a belt therefor it is essential to my training. If I am using a belt I will add it at some point during my warmup sets, usually later on.

I think waloo hacked your account bro.

A lifting belt helps with bracing and for most people allows them to lift more weight. I can lift more with a belt therefor it is essential to my training. If I am using a belt I will add it at some point during my warmup sets, usually later on.
Right on. I’ll start throwing a belt on for my heavy sets.

I currently only put it on for my top sets really, but they are not that heavy anyway.

I strongly feel people that train both beltless and with a belt will end up with stronger beltless lifts than those who only train beltless.

I “train” beltless. I should throw one though. Maybe then I’ll be able to lift respectable weight.

I stopped using my belt for deadlifts about six months ago.
For various reasons* it got to a point where I didn't feel comfortable using it, and I could lift more without it than with it.
"Cool story bro" I know, but I figured I might mention this apropos the thread topic. There is no absolute thruth when it comes to belts.

Also, I'm a 240 kg puller, so what I say carries weight. I'm kind of a big deal around here.

*I'm just speculating, but I think the main reasons are I got real fat, plus I changed my stance to a more bent over starting position. The belt just got in the way in that position, no matter how I tightened or loosened it.

Last edited:
Greg Knuckols piece on belts seems good to me:

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/the-belt-bible/

Key Points
1) Wearing a belt improves your performance in the gym

2) These performance increases likely mean increased size and strength in the long run

3) There are still instances that it’s better to train beltless, but you should probably use a belt for the bulk of your training

Also from later in the article:

Finally, who should almost certainly train with a belt.

Powerlifters and bodybuilders.

All those benefits we talked about at the beginning of the article – moving more weight for the same number of reps, moving the same weight for more reps, or moving the same weight for the same reps while incurring less fatigue per set (allowing for more total volume) – you’d be a fool not to take advantage of them. Unless you have a problem with exploiting the two most potent factors for long-term strength gains (volume and intensity)… and if so, that’s your issue.

I just started getting back into training earlier this year after a very long layoff. For the first 2-3 months I went beltless and then more recently just started incorporating a belt. My training has been all over the place since lifting is so unpredictible, but plan to start a program soon and it will indeed include both belt and beltless squats/deadlifts.

if the female world champion uses a belt, then you are no pro unless you can outbench her without one. makes sense? ask your geneticist.

It is "cheating" in the sense that, you are equipping yourself with a tool that enables you to lift weight you couldn't lift raw. No different than knee wraps, bench suit, etc.

That said, form what I've seen, the research seems to indicate there isn't a significant difference in the activation of core muscles when lifting belted. Thus, it is(in theory) not creating weak points in your lifts, but also enables you load your larger groups more, possibly resulilting in greater gains.

What it really comes down to is a matter of personal preference. You're going to get stringer either way.

I avoid gear. My logic is if I cant handle a squat without the belt I am not ready to lift that heavy.
Same with the wraps and deadlifts. If I have no grip strength to pull that heavy, what makes me think my body is ready for heavy DL? Nothing really.

Anecdote but yet ... I have a friend who gained some improvements on his squat and DL via belt and wraps. But ended with ...hemorrhoids

I avoid gear. My logic is if I cant handle a squat without the belt I am not ready to lift that heavy.
Same with the wraps and deadlifts. If I have no grip strength to pull that heavy, what makes me think my body is ready for heavy DL? Nothing really.

Anecdote but yet ... I have a friend who gained some improvements on his squat and DL via belt and wraps. But ended with ...hemorrhoids
What about chalk?

... I have a friend who gained some improvements on his squat and DL via belt and wraps. But ended with ...hemorrhoids

I think you mean lifting straps, not wraps. Legend says that the straps and belts combo causes hemorrhoids in 97% of the users. The wraps and belt combo are not known to be ass successful in the causing of the rhoids, rumor says it is only 63%. My protein coach once told me that hemorrhoids have nothing to do with genetics, diet or bathroom habits, just lifting equipment.

I think you mean lifting straps, not wraps. Legend says that the straps and belts combo causes hemorrhoids in 97% of the users. The wraps and belt combo are not known to be ass successful in the causing of the rhoids, rumor says it is only 63%. My protein coach once told me that hemorrhoids have nothing to do with genetics, diet or bathroom habits, just lifting equipment.
My point was if the body is not ready to lift heavier than you can actually lift, it may react. But good humour indeed.

My point was if the body is not ready to lift heavier than you can actually lift, it may react. But good humour indeed.

But the point is- maybe your hands and wrists aren't ready, but your legs and back are ready. And if you stop increasing the weight because your hands and wrists aren't ready, you won't train your back and legs as much as you could.

And the point is, deadlift isn't primarily a grip exercise. It's about leg extension, hip extension and stabilising the torso. You want a strong grip, you do grip exercises.

On this topic, one of the legendary old members said something like "Why fuck up your deadlift training because you have a pussy grip?". Or something like that.

I always use a belt so the internal pressure stabalizes the core and you can lift heavier squats and focus more on the quads.

But I also take it off sometimes and go lighter. That way the core stays strong too.

Back