Is an outfighter like Lewis forced to brawl a taller outfighter like Vitali

Swepingright

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I always wondered how an outfighter adjusts to not being the taller guy For once, against another out fighter.

We got to see what happened in Lewis-Klitchko.

Isn't this the worst possible scenario for a fighter since they have to get out of their safety zone and brawl? They can't bob and weave since that's not their style, but they can't just stand there and eat jabs either...

Mike Tyson was almost always shorter so he had the same game plan every time.

Not always, as shorter fighters can outjab and outbox taller fighters

However guys who are used to having the height/reach adv almost always struggle when they meet someone taller. Lewis did run through Grant like a hot knife through butter, but Vitali was a lot better than Grant.

An in-shape Bowe is my fav HW for this reason - he was almost always the taller guy but also developed a ridiculous inside game, and would beat up shorter fighters there too

On a secondary note, I always wanted to see Tyson face a guy his height or shorter where he didn't have to close the distance.

Prime Tua vs prime Tyson :eek:

On a secondary note, I always wanted to see Tyson face a guy his height or shorter where he didn't have to close the distance.

Tyson did face one guy who was his height

Evander beat him.

I always wondered how an outfighter adjusts to not being the taller guy For once, against another out fighter.

Isn't this the worst possible scenario for a fighter since they have to get out of their safety zone and brawl? They can't bob and weave since that's not their style, but they can't just stand there and eat jabs either...

The perfect example of an out fighter going up against someone taller than them was Klitschko vs Fury. It ended up with Wlad just shutting down because he couldn't adjust to the size disadvantage.

Evander beat him.
Evander was taller and way longer though

Kept catching Tyson on the way in and beat him up inside too

Tyson and Tua would fight a lot in midrange, very different

Evander was taller and way longer though

Kept catching Tyson on the way in and beat him up inside too

Tyson and Tua would fight a lot in midrange, very different
True but compared to all the other HW's Tyson fought, Evander was the closest in size to Tyson.

I’d always thought Lennox was the taller guy in this one. You learn something every day.

Attachments

• 45ABAADC-DC3E-4E0C-834F-47D1E88B7696.jpeg
    45ABAADC-DC3E-4E0C-834F-47D1E88B7696.jpeg
    245.7 KB · Views: 21
Herbie Hide was even shorter than Lennox, and in the first round he pretty much laid out the blueprint for outboxing Vitali Klitschko.
Odlanier Solis was doing the same until the injury, and this is also how prime Muhammad Ali and Larry Holmes would approach Vitali Klitschko.

Handspeed and mobility required.

The other way to beat Klitschko is to attack him force to force and get him backing up... Lennox beat him that way, and Corrie Sanders had some success in spots too... This is how prime George Foreman and Mike Tyson would approach Vitali Klitschko.

Not all fighters have the ability to adapt to different styles. You have the Leonard-Hearns fight where the taller man was outboxing the guy everyone thought was a boxer, so, Ray became the stalker. Each man had effectively traded styles. Had hearns not been able to box, the fight probably would have ended sooner because he was badly hurt and gamely started to stick and move, he may have been able to take out Ray, who knows, but it was smart for him to dance. Ray was a killer in those years, a stone cold killer but if he hadn't been able to be aggressive and stalk his man like that, the decision would have went to tommy.

In short, adaptability is the mark of a great fighter.

Herbie Hide was even shorter than Lennox, and in the first round he pretty much laid out the blueprint for outboxing Vitali Klitschko.
Odlanier Solis was doing the same until the injury, and this is also how prime Muhammad Ali and Larry Holmes would approach Vitali Klitschko.

Handspeed and mobility required.

The other way to beat Klitschko is to attack him force to force and get him backing up... Lennox beat him that way, and Corrie Sanders had some success in spots too... This is how prime George Foreman and Mike Tyson would approach Vitali Klitschko.
I'm just glad Fury dominated him so we wouldn't have to hear how great the K bros were. I never thought much of them outside of them both being good men.

I'm just glad Fury dominated him so we wouldn't have to hear how great the K bros were. I never thought much of them outside of them both being good men.

I was talking Vitali, not Wladimir.
Good job pretending that you can't distinguish them... Or maybe you just drank too much vodka today.

I was talking Vitali, not Wladimir.
Good job pretending that you can't distinguish them... Or maybe you just drank too much vodka today.
I don't drink, i really can't tell much difference though so I may as well be drunk, it's a case of I don't care for either.

Lewis walked down pretty much all of his taller opponents (and many shorter ones, too, actually). He was much more comfortable on the inside than most guys his size in the sport's history (Bowe and to a lesser extent Fury would be two exceptions).

Not all fighters have the ability to adapt to different styles. You have the Leonard-Hearns fight where the taller man was outboxing the guy everyone thought was a boxer, so, Ray became the stalker. Each man had effectively traded styles. Had hearns not been able to box, the fight probably would have ended sooner because he was badly hurt and gamely started to stick and move, he may have been able to take out Ray, who knows, but it was smart for him to dance. Ray was a killer in those years, a stone cold killer but if he hadn't been able to be aggressive and stalk his man like that, the decision would have went to tommy.

In short, adaptability is the mark of a great fighter.

Boxers had great reverence for Hearns's jab and overall boxing abilities. He wasn't viewed as a Wilder.

Lewis walked down pretty much all of his taller opponents (and many shorter ones, too, actually). He was much more comfortable on the inside than most guys his size in the sport's history (Bowe and to a lesser extent Fury would be two exceptions).

Yes, Lewis was amazingly versatile. Most talented HW for my money.

I believe Lewis still had a longer reach than Vitali.
Lewis had the reach the equivelant of a 7 footer even though he was 6'4 or 6'5.

Back