Is bench press the best indicator of upper body strength?

I really don't get the hate some people have for curls. Or this idea that there is a mass of shallow, obnoxious guys who do curls while a hardcore elite does squats. It seems like the inverse.

Kirk-Blender-768x574.png

Bench
Overhead press
Weighted pull ups

You would have to use all three probably.

I think a standing overhead press is not a better indicator of upper body power because it depends of a strong low body too

Last edited:
I think a standing overhead press is not a better indicator of upper body power because it depends of a strong low body too

If you push press yes. Upper body is from the hip to your neck. What goes up will depend on how strong you are from core to traps. Bench is more dependent on lats/triceps/chest and some tightness in the core which is nowhere near what ypu need for the overhead strict press.

Bench is more dependent on lats/triceps/chest and some tightness in the core which is nowhere near what ypu need for the overhead strict press.

Some tightness in the core? Lol, I bet I'd lose over 20kgs on bench if I couldn't engage my core properly. Are you speaking from experience on this topic? As a trainer/coach and or participant?

Aren't you on the frail side now too? I can vaguely recall a hip issue

Yeah, I have a grumpy hip. Not sure if I have a torn labrum, or what. I've never had it checked out because it's not really bothersome for daily life and I wouldn't get surgery.

All deadlift and bench now bb.

Some tightness in the core? Lol, I bet I'd lose over 20kgs on bench if I couldn't engage my core properly. Are you speaking from experience on this topic? As a trainer/coach and or participant?

Still not as much as when you have to press that sucker up to the sky. After I've set up and dug my shoulders into the pad and lowered my ass down...It doesn't nearly require as much core as pressing overhead.

If you push press yes. Upper body is from the hip to your neck. What goes up will depend on how strong you are from core to traps. Bench is more dependent on lats/triceps/chest and some tightness in the core which is nowhere near what ypu need for the overhead strict press.
Some tightness in the core? You're not benching correctly then. My core, lower back, and sometimes legs cramp up when i attempt a 1rm.

Some tightness in the core? You're not benching correctly then. My core, lower back, and sometimes legs cramp up when i attempt a 1rm.

Same, I had to pass on a 3rd bench attempt in a meet due to lower back and lower ab cramping. Never had a problem with a jerk, meet or training, due to my core.

@WARinsertname you're definitely not training bench properly if this is your experience. Once you get a handle on engaging properly you will find some nice improvement, I am certain.

It's definitely a close call between press and bench press.

Bench press might be the winner because it's a bit less technically demanding and doesn't engage the lower body as much, even if you're using leg drive. But a strict press is less easy to cheat on the ROM, plus I would think traps, abs, erectors, serratus are more engaged than in the bench, but it might be a bit trickier to teach in a standardized test.

I would say no to muscle ups because they are too technique dependent. I like the idea of pull ups, although it's a bit tricky to figure out how much weight you're really lifting between people of different builds/bodyweights. Wonder how many pull ups Maddox can do, I saw Bibby and Brian Shaw doing them and it was impressive considering they're 400lbs+.

But overall I'd say bench/press/pull up (if you can determine max weight, not reps) would give you a good average.

If we are defining upper body as just the muscles above the waist, then I think barbell rows need honorable mention. There's guys out there that can row a ton of weight.

If we are defining upper body as just the muscles above the waist, then I think barbell rows need honorable mention. There's guys out there that can row a ton of weight.

Have you ever performed a barbell row?

Brah......your glutes and hamstrings are big time synergists/stabilizers during barbell rows in order to keep proper form. If one of those are a weak link in your row you aren't pulling shit for weight. Even DB rows require some assistance from your legs and core.

I don't do regular barbell rows, but I sometimes do pendlay rows after deadlifts. I can feel it in my hamstrings, but it's primarily a back movement.

I've never done seal rows. I've done a lot of t-bar rows though.

Whichever one I'm strongest at is the best indicator.

Back