Is Billy Corgan the worst lead singer of all time?

Fedorgasm

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Dude can't sing. Has a shit voice. I'd wager that every single band member would have sang better than him.

Yet somehow Smashing Pumpkins still had a ton of success. I even like that rat in a cage song, but it's just a good song despite his shit voice. Would probably be better with a real singer.

It's a very distinctive voice. I like the whole of Siamese Dream, and we all thought "Rat in a cage" sucked. You needed a distinct sound to stand out in the 90's, and he provided it.

Sounds so unnerving if I get stuck in a cave

Not a Pumpkins fan at all, but I wouldn’t say he’s worst of all time. There’s some awful lead singers out there.

Very unique voice, although he does require some studio magic to make it work. When he's live, he sounds pretty awful.

I like the pumpkins but that’s only because of Jimmy. I always thought Corgan was an awful vocalist.

Ratts singer for the win.

horrible voice.

I think the guy from U2 can't sing. It's all kinda subjective

Dude can't sing. Has a shit voice. I'd wager that every single band member would have sang better than him.

Yet somehow Smashing Pumpkins still had a ton of success. I even like that rat in a cage song, but it's just a good song despite his shit voice. Would probably be better with a real singer.

Ive been a big pumpkins fan in my time and yeah, he sucks, big time. Live videos are especially cringeworthy, god knows what they went through in the studio recording the album vocal takes...like for a guy who has probably played a million rehearsals and thousands of shows, you gotta wonder how his singing never even got halfway decent

Maybe his singing is just part of the weirdo/awkward vibe their music has in general, maybe people relate to this loser-sounding guy on vox.

Its like @Only Here for Attachments said. His voice is perfect for them. Gish is one of my favorite debut albums and I thought Siamese Dream was a strong follow up. And they have so many good songs that really didn't show up on any albums until Pisces Iscariot came out.

I have a few bootleg cd's of some acoustic shows they played and there's one in particular where Billy's voice cracks as he's singing Mayonaise and he laughs. He knows he's not the greatest singer. But it really doesn't matter because he's a great songwriter.

(around 4:30)

Its like @Only Here for Attachments said. His voice is perfect for them. Gish is one of my favorite debut albums and I thought Siamese Dream was a strong follow up. And they have so many good songs that really didn't show up on any albums until Pisces Iscariot came out.

pumpkins have a strong b-side game, i get strong cravings for random pumpkin b-sides sometimes

Sounds so unnerving if I get stuck in a cave

David Byrne is not a good singer but I guess it worked for the talking heads because they made some great music.

David Byrne is not a good singer but I guess it worked for the talking heads because they made some great music.
yeah I agree and I love them to death. Same thing with the Violent Femmes having a bad singer

Technically speaking Corgan isn't great but a lot of average singers still make it work depending on their bands sound.

For example I love the strokes, one of my top five bands. But truth be told Julian Casablancas is awful singer. But his style works in the garage rock/post punk revival genre.

I'm a very big SP fan going back to the early 90s and they are in my top 3 favorite bands of all-time list and I can only reiterate what has been said that his voice is suited for the band.

It... fits.

Corgan is a phenomenal songwriter (as has already been mentioned) and least we forget he and Jimmy Chamberlin are incredible musicians as well.

Edit: clarity

Last edited:
Definitely a below average singer, but an amazing songwriter and fantastic lyricist.

Vocal 'ability' is overrated imo

Evoking emotion, power, atmosphere, energy, etc. is the importance of vocals

Back