Is Billy Corgan the worst lead singer of all time?

He's no smooth voiced guy, but I never had complaints about the many Smashing Pumpkins songs.

I wouldn't mind hearing other famous singers cover them.

I like Gish and a lot of Siamese Dream. I lost interest real quick when he started airing the band’s dirty laundry and pop psychologizing about his personal issues in public.

the guy from Maroon 5 is, nevertheless, far more tedious.

There are megastars like Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young and bob Dylan. Billy Corgan isn't even notably bad.

There are megastars like Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young and bob Dylan. Billy Corgan isn't even notably bad.
This.

Billy Corgan isn't a good technical singer but he's a good singer for what SP is. In the same vein, James Hetfield can be described similarly although I would consider Billy a better singer.

Vince Neil and Chino Moreno are really bad live from what I see from their performances.

He’s pretty shitty but it worked early on because it was unique and the music was so damn good anyone could have sang the lyrics. But in later albums where the instrumentals became less powerful, his voice started to become annoying. Still my favorite band of all time, so many songs that weren’t hits that were good. I listened to gish, Siamese Dream and melon collie beginning to end numerous times and that’s really saying something for melon collie which was 28 tracks

How is he the worst? He's actually pleasant to the ears. He may not have the crazy range of a Freddy Mercury, but he has very unique and empathetic voice.

Hella underrated guitar player too.
Yeah, definitely agree with you. He wrote some pretty iconic riffs back in the day. The opening for Cherub Rock has always been a stand out in my mind.

Yeah, definitely agree with you. He wrote some pretty iconic riffs back in the day. The opening for Cherub Rock has always been a stand out in my mind.

That entire song is my jam. Opening drum intro, then the main riff with the clean guitars, then boom; Big Muff gets kicked on. The solo and the solo during the last chorus. He was definitely the riff king.

Thru The Eyes Of Ruby
Porcelina Of The Vast Oceans
Soma
Geek USA
Hummer
Here Is No Why
Drown
Mouths Of Babes
Hello Kitty Kat

I could just keep going on, lol.

Bob Dylan is the worst. Sounds like a teenager hitting puberty.

I’m not really into them.. but I disagree that he’s a bad singer or that any of his band members would be better. Billy is the sound of that band as he sings and writes just about everything. I don’t think their music would work as well without him singing it.

Same goes for Cobain with Nirvana. Their music just wouldn’t work the same without his shrieks and voice cracks.

Bob Dylan is the worst. Sounds like a teenager hitting puberty.

Dylan absolutely sucks imo. Without question the most overrated musician there is. He does have some cool songs tho, and I’ll give him credit for damn near non stop touring.

The correct answer to the thread is Tom Delonge.

Controversial (but others here are saying it) but Dylan for me. Just can't stand his voice. I certainly can understand why people don't like Corgan's voice but it works for me and his songs. Just like Dylan's voice works for the majority of people.

I can't say Corgan is the worst cause Cherub Rock makes up for his all his shit songs and shit personality.
I want to say Bruce Springsteen is the worst, but Glory Days makes up for HIS shit

Worst ratio of absolute shit we have to deal with vs quality music output? ....Amy Lee from Evanescence.

His voice is nasally and grating on SOME songs but Corgan is a good singer and has a distinctive voice. Songs like 1979, Stumbleine and Mayonaisse are just some good songs sung by Corgan.

With artists like Leonard Cohen and Lou Reed (who are great songwriters but shit singers) out there you can't say Corgan is the worst.

I think the worst singer is that chick who did Friday Friday gonna get down on Friday....
I wonder if she's still alive

Crash Test Dummies, Hootie and the Blowjobs and similar are horrible.

Back