Is Foreman a better boxer than Ali since he destroyed fighters Ali had wars with (and lost to)

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I say yes, even though styles make fights. You could argue against if it was just one fight but he repeatedly destroyed guys Ali struggled with. Psychology aside, I would expect Foreman to beat Ali as well if he learns his lesson and they repeat it 10 times. I don't care how different they were style-wise ALi lost to far worse boxers than Foreman. It's by no means an impossible task to defeat him,

Frazier and Norton were cannon-fodder for Foreman. It wasn't even a fight. Both had wars with Ali. Neither one could go many rounds with big George. Ali said Norton in particular, he could never fully get passed even in the rematch, though Ali won. Norton got creamed by Foreman. Frazier got equally destroyed by George and did only marginally better in his rematch, still woefully inept and got stopped there as well.

Last edited:
Meh, Ali had a deeper resume than just those common opponents and and old Ali beat a younger, prime Foreman.

and old Ali beat a younger, prime Foreman.

I would argue that was peak Ali. He sunk into his punches better than ever before. He could stand and trade, his hand speed was as good as it ever gonna get etc.

Cassius Clay danced better but was an inferior puncher.

I would argue that was peak Ali. He sunk into his punches better than ever before. He could stand and trade, his hand speed was as good as it ever gonna get etc.

Cassius Clay danced better but was an inferior puncher.
He stood and traded more because he was getting old and couldn't move like he did. Ali wasn't really so slick as people remember in his later years. There's a reason he ended up like he did.

Foreman was never the same after the Ali loss. They had a comparable resume up until that point
That is true but not because of the beating he took. He essentially lost his mind for a while.

kinda off topic but is it true that in the third frazier fight ali told his corner to cut his gloves off and that he quits and the only reason he won was because ref went to fraziers corner first?

just remember reading something like this

kinda off topic but is it true that in the third frazier fight ali told his corner to cut his gloves off and that he quits and the only reason he won was because ref went to fraziers corner first?

Both corners pondered on giving up but the Frazier corner was faster..

He stood and traded more because he was getting old and couldn't move like he did..

And look how well he did. I have never seen him do pure boxing better than in that fight.

from what i heard it was a medical stoppage for frazier, ali just straight up wanted quit

Correct. It was very close to Ali throwing in the towel. I'm not sure if he was about to do it and then Frazier did it or if they convinced him not to.. We are talking about seconds here in which we might have end up with both fighters resigning simultaneously.

That would make Foreman a stronger puncher. Sonny Liston also had an easier time with Patterson than Ali.

Thats the story Ali told. Who knows?

Not really. Ali toyed with him pretty badly.

If that was the case, Ali probaby wouldn't have called him the most talented opponent he had.
Liston had a easier time with Patterson, no matter how you spin it.

If that was the case, Ali probaby wouldn't have called him the most talented opponent he had.
Liston had a easier time with Patterson, no matter how you spin it.

He didn't. Patterson was already beaten before the bell against Liston. He really tried against Ali, however, and got his head boxed off like an amateur. Ali beat him about as badly as someone can without having a real punch like Foreman, Liston, etc.

Thats the story Ali told. Who knows?

Ali was known to embellish a lot of things, i would take everything he said with a giant pinch of salt, he liked to tell tales to make him look better, and didnt care who he hurt in the process

Back