Is Gordon really an asshole or is it just a character?

GoatArtemLobov

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Does someone have insights from training in the blue basement/attending seminars etc.?
Why does he even have beef with Galvao in the first place?

Gordon wants a grappling match with Galvao and Galvao doesn't.

Basically what it came down to.

Last edited:
I think both. Like the best pro wrestling characters, it's an extension of his personality.

Of course, he's not nearly as interesting.

I think both as well.

Gordon seems to be a asshole and according to a interview with Garry Tonon some years back, he said Gordon was always cocky.

However I had a couple of friends train with him in a week long camp. And he was apparently very easy to talk to and kind. And he did not seems like an asshole. They asked him questions for 2 hours after the seminar.

Danaher also said in a ADCC 2019 interview that Gordon Ryan is not an asshole in real life. But he plays one in front of a camera.

I am pretty sure he takes it to another level to bring more attention to grappling and it does work. He probably brought more attention to jiu jitsu than any other jiu jitsu fighter over the last 6 years.

Well, to become the best you have to believe you're the best. And Gordon believes he's the best. Cocky is part of his DNA.

I don't have a problem with it, as long as he doesn't act like a douche to those around him. Which it seems he doesn't. Always great with his fans and the people he interacts with.

Well, to become the best you have to believe you're the best. And Gordon believes he's the best. Cocky is part of his DNA.

I don't have a problem with it, as long as he doesn't act like a douche to those around him. Which it seems he doesn't. Always great with his fans and the people he interacts with.
but every champion has that mentality about being the best.

not every champion acts like an insufferable douche. we've had plenty of very likable characters in the sport who were absolute monsters on the mat.

not every champion acts like an insufferable douche. we've had plenty of very likable characters in the sport who were absolute monsters on the mat.

Nah, not every champion has a mentality of being the best. Many don't. Many question their own abilities often. Many prefer to stay humble. Many get anxiety.

Gordon believes he's the best of all time, and he believed he'll be the best of all time since he started training.

A good example is tom brady, he does not seem like a asshole.

Barry Sanders is another great example one of the best and or the best running back of all time and very humble.

A good example is tom brady, he does not seem like a asshole.

Barry Sanders is another great example one of the best and or the best running back of all time and very humble.
even in jiu jitsu... marcelo garcia is by all accounts one of the best to ever compete, and he's the nicest, most down to earth person imaginable. bernardo faria is also a champion who seems very kind and soft spoken. rodolfo was a beast but always struck me like a really cool dude.

there are plenty of really great characters in the sport.

Nah, not every champion has a mentality of being the best. Many don't. Many question their own abilities often. Many prefer to stay humble. Many get anxiety.

Gordon believes he's the best of all time, and he believed he'll be the best of all time since he started training.

yeah, i'm sure all the champions who don't act like cunts have crippling anxiety.

believing you're the best has nothing to do with being a douchebag. it's just something douchebags use as an excuse, and it's completely nonsensical.

Ishaq making no sense, most athletes think they are the best, even when they are not, thats how you get better, believing you are one step up than you actually are

even in jiu jitsu... marcelo garcia is by all accounts one of the best to ever compete, and he's the nicest, most down to earth person imaginable. bernardo faria is also a champion who seems very kind and soft spoken. rodolfo was a beast but always struck me like a really cool dude.

yeah, i'm sure all the champions who don't act like cunts have crippling anxiety.

believing you're the best has nothing to do with being a douchebag. it's just something douchebags use as an excuse, and it's completely nonsensical.

Which of Gordon's actions make him a douchebag? Telling his competitors how shit they in comparison to him? Where's the lie?

Or showing ultimate loyalty to his team, his girlfriend, his coaches and his fans?

Which of Gordon's actions make him a douchebag? Telling his competitors how shit they in comparison to him? Where's the lie?
if i you haven't noticed obnoxious behavior from ryan so far, you're not going to notice it going forward, even if i point it out.

but yes, telling his competitors they are shit is a douche move. i don't recall marcelo ever getting into pablo popovitch's face and telling him he has no business being on the mat with him. funny how that went.

Or showing ultimate loyalty to his team, his girlfriend, his coaches and his fans?
for fuck's sake, get a grip.

if i you haven't noticed obnoxious behavior from ryan so far, you're not going to notice it going forward, even if i point it out.

but yes, telling his competitors they are shit is a douche move. i don't recall marcelo ever getting into pablo popovitch's face and telling him he has no business being on the mat with him. funny how that went.

So what if you don't recall Marcelo saying that? Marcelo is not the litmus test for douchebaggery.

Telling your opponents they are nowhere near your level is not a douche move if its the plain truth. And he's proven his statements true time and again. Speaking truth is a virtuous trait, not a douchey trait.

Unfortunately, they get (most of the time) over looked and don't make as much money.

He was talking shit about some that homeless guy who froze a few years back - going on about how he "worked for everything". Forgetting to mention that his parents let him live off of them (supported his dream till he could afford to support his dream on his own, or that he received helping hands from tonon as well).

And danaher would never say anything bad about his prize pupil - so him saying that he's not an asshole should be taken with heaping grains of salt (danaher loves to hold others to standards he doesn't hold himself or his pupils up to).

Is he evil - probably not but the persona seems to be part of who he is.

Does someone have insights from training in the blue basement/attending seminars etc.?

Never done one of his seminars, but I’ve dropped in at Renzo’s blue basement & taken Danaher’s classes a few times, & interacted with Gordon. It’s night & day from the instagram persona, he gave off no ego or asshole vibes face to face, or on the mats. Actually quite the opposite, he was a very nice guy in the dojo environment. It’s entirely just a schtick.

interacted with Gordon. It’s night & day from the instagram persona, he gave off no ego or asshole vibes face to face, or on the mats

Unless you're a comedian or literally an actor, "I'm not an asshole, I just act like one on the internet (and sometimes in person)" makes you... an asshole. Character is measured by what you do when you are least accountable.

Last edited:

Roger Gracie is a also a good example of quiet confidence. Roger always believed he was the best and if you ever saw him in pvt you could tell he thought he was the best and unbeatable. But he was never brash.

But I go back to what I was saying, I think Gordon Ryan acts that way to bring more attention. I dunno if he is a millionare from just his videos, however it does seem his approach to jiu jitsu brings a lot of attention. Even yesterday during training we are joking around that we can do Gordon Ryan rules and start sparring with a slap.

I trained with him before. Him and his brother were both nice to me. It might be hard to believe but he comes off as shy in person. Doesn't say much but not in a rude way, more like an introvert. He also rolls very light, could have crushed me (obviously) but let's you work.

Got to meet Taza and Garry too, both super nice and friendly.

The problem isn't that he's cocky.

He's extremely opinionated and all of his opinions resemble that of an ass hole.

He's extremely immature, and stupid, but believes himself to be the complete opposite.

Last edited:
So what if you don't recall Marcelo saying that? Marcelo is not the litmus test for douchebaggery.
no, he isn't the litmus test for douchebaggery, but he was the best in the world. so this theory that gordon is only behaving the way he is because it's the mentality required to get to his level is complete and utter bullshit.

or did marcelo not believe he was the best? how about rodolfo? roger?

Telling your opponents they are nowhere near your level is not a douche move if its the plain truth. And he's proven his statements true time and again. Speaking truth is a virtuous trait, not a douchey trait.

shocker, you don't think obnoxious behavior is douchey. who could've seen that coming?

Back