Is it counter productive to switch routines every other week?

Fahcough

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Short version of a BS excuse. I have a new born and am very lucky she lets me escape to gym everyday. Trying to keep it at an hour and get back to dad duty... dooty.

Was on a heavier / fewer reps routine since Oct. Had it down to a 10 min warm up, 45 min workout , 5 min cool down.
Started new years changing things up with new routine. Less weight / higher reps to correct some shit forms and add more isolation in. It's taking closer to 80-90 min to get through the workouts, rushing them.

I can't even figure out what question was trying to get answered. Do you have to stick the same style program to get results or would switching it up still keep the muscle memory confused?

*Long term goal is to continuously gain strength while slowly cutting down 10-15 lbs*

Program hopping can be a real gains goblin. If you're strapped for time and one of your goals is more important than the others then maybe try focusing on that. Even if you're switching things up frequently it's true that progressive overload will yield some kind of result but when you pair that with some good consistency and programming you'll probably have a better outcome. Sounds like a case of too many irons in the fire.

Program hopping can be a real gains goblin. If you're strapped for time and one of your goals is more important than the others then maybe try focusing on that. Even if you're switching things up frequently it's true that progressive overload will yield some kind of result but when you pair that with some good consistency and programming you'll probably have a better outcome. Sounds like a case of too many irons in the fire.
More of a case of left the iron in the fire too long.
Needed to hear it, bottom line find a happy medium. Shoulders hate the high rep but legs really felt good doing 20,15,10,8,8,6,4

Short version of a BS excuse. I have a new born and am very lucky she lets me escape to gym everyday. Trying to keep it at an hour and get back to dad duty... dooty.

Was on a heavier / fewer reps routine since Oct. Had it down to a 10 min warm up, 45 min workout , 5 min cool down.
Started new years changing things up with new routine. Less weight / higher reps to correct some shit forms and add more isolation in. It's taking closer to 80-90 min to get through the workouts, rushing them.

I can't even figure out what question was trying to get answered. Do you have to stick the same style program to get results or would switching it up still keep the muscle memory confused?

*Long term goal is to continuously gain strength while slowly cutting down 10-15 lbs*

If you mean improving your maxes on the main lifts, then you'd need a program oriented towards that, and I would keep doing it till it stops working before changing it. Also, if by gaining strength you mean 1RM strength, then a bunch of high rep training is probably not ideal I would guess. You'd need at least some heavier work in the 1-6 rep range, not that you can't include some lighter stuff too. Of course you can also prioritize higher rep ranges if you prefer, it's just that it will have less transfer to a 1RM if you don't train in that range at all. It all depends on your personal goals, and on what you mean by "gaining strength".

Changing your program before you stall if you're making progress is kinda pointless, unless you're bored, or are feeling beat up or maybe your sport required a lot of variety, like crossfit. I think it's useful to stay on some program for a few weeks (5-8) so you can gather enough data about what worked and what didn't. At the same time, depending on your goals, experience and style, your program can have a lot of variety or not much. The more advanced you are at a certain lift, the more specifically you need to train it in order to keep progressing. Training for general S&C for sports might require more variety than trying to get strong at a particular set of lifts like a powerlifter.

Most of the programs I see for strength are organized in blocks or cycles that go from 6-12 weeks before you peak and then have to change things up, or before you need a light week and some exercise changes to allow accumulated fatigue to dissipate before you keep making gains. It kinda depends on where you're at with your training, because beginners can make gains on the same program for a longer period of time before they stall.

Last edited:
If you mean improving your maxes on the main lifts, then you'd need a program oriented towards that, and I would keep doing it till it stops working before changing it. Also, if by gaining strength you mean 1RM strength, then a bunch of high rep training is probably not ideal I would guess. You'd need at least some heavier work in the 1-6 rep range, not that you can't include some lighter stuff too. Of course you can also prioritize higher rep ranges if you prefer, it's just that it will have less transfer to a 1RM if you don't train in that range at all. It all depends on your personal goals, and on what you mean by "gaining strength".

Changing your program before you stall if you're making progress is kinda pointless, unless you're extremely bored or are feeling beat up. I don't know if I've heard of too many people changing things just to change (crossfit?). I think it's useful to stay on some program for a few weeks (5-8) so you can gather enough data about what worked and what didn't, unless you have a long training history and know that you always peak in, let's say, 6 weeks, before your performance goes down and you need a change.

Most of the programs I see for strength are organized in blocks or cycles that go from 6-12 weeks before you peak and then have to change things up in order to get a new stimulus, or before you need a light week to allow accumulated fatigue to dissipate before you keep making gains. It kinda depends on where you're at with your training, because beginners can make gains on the same program without changing things up for a longer period of time before they stall.

You guys are way more helpful than the heavies. Good points to focus on.
The last program was a 5 on 2 off full body style workout with 1 lift being heavy to failure each day. Whether DL, squat, bench, clean, mil press ... then a handful of moderate lifts to hit overall body 5 days. It worked, I enjoyed it and saw progress. Usually make it about 90 days before attention starts wanting to do other lifts.
Solid advice is to stick with what was working until it doesn't. Recovery was great too, always put a 6th day in mixing it up for fun.

Yes

Get a pull up bar for your door and stick to calisthenics and cardio until the little one is a toddler. If you can afford to, get a kettlebell set too, there are plenty of good workouts online, but my favourite are by Pavel Tsatsouline or Dan John. This is your life for the next two years, it sucks, but being a parent is more important than benching 140kg.

Yes

Get a pull up bar for your door and stick to calisthenics and cardio until the little one is a toddler. If you can afford to, get a kettlebell set too, there are plenty of good workouts online, but my favourite are by Pavel Tsatsouline or Dan John. This is your life for the next two years, it sucks, but being a parent is more important than benching 140kg.
ignoring kids will give them independence.
lol, kidding. The equipment isn't the issue, have a multi-purpose gym inside the house. It was more of not wanting to push her generosity every day. An hour +/- minutes seems fair enough, but 90 min a day is eventually gonna cause an explosion.
Will go back to the basics and lift heavier for shorter periods.

I got a home gym for this exact reason. Of course it ended up paying dividends during the pandemic but between driving and working out I couldn't fit trips to the gym in once my first was born.

Just glad none of you said get up at 4am and get it done while they sleep. Terrible advice.

Just glad none of you said get up at 4am and get it done while they sleep. Terrible advice.

I'm assuming you have a career outside of the fitness industry, in which case fitness is just a luxury after a certain point.

Keeping your child healthy and keeping a roof over their head takes priority. As long as you keep you BF% and resting heart reasonable, so you don't end up giving yourself a heart attack, then everything else has to mould around the points in the first two points.

I'm assuming you have a career outside of the fitness industry, in which case fitness is just a luxury after a certain point.

Keeping your child healthy and keeping a roof over their head takes priority. As long as you keep you BF% and resting heart reasonable, so you don't end up giving yourself a heart attack, then everything else has to mould around the points in the first two points.
You're right, but everyone needs a moment to self to unwind. People bitch about going to gym that it's a chore and they hate it. 2 decades and I still look forward to it and rest days usually happen when something comes up there's no avoiding. Obsession is the best moderation.

Still going to look up your kettlebell mention. Them little bastards are exhausting.

Pencil whipped day 1. Much prefer this style over high reps
Trying to keep DL, squats, bench, military press, & cleans in the mix at least 2 days each.

Finished in 45 min today, back on track and in good graces
Bench 5x5
Mil press 5x5
Incline DB 5x5
Side flies 5x10
Dips 5x10
Heavy Slam ball -> push up - to overhead press 3x5
6 sets of abs

If you're switching something every other week, it's not a routine in any sense. You should give something at least a month to see if you like it.

If you're switching something every other week, it's not a routine in any sense. You should give something at least a month to see if you like it.
It wasn't a brand new one every week. It was more of an A & B rotation. Wasn't feasible so never even tried it.

A ... could finish in an hour
B ...was taking 90 minutes or longer

Was going to switch A one week and B the next, A B A B up down left right start. Infinite Power.

It wasn't a brand new one every week. It was more of an A & B rotation. Wasn't feasible so never even tried it.

A ... could finish in an hour
B ...was taking 90 minutes or longer

Was going to switch A one week and B the next, A B A B up down left right start. Infinite Power.

Sorry bruh, that code will get you a whole lot of nothing. If you want the power up it's up up down down left right left right B A start.

Settled in to finding a mix of routine that feels great and can get in and out gym 50-70 minutes. Not perfect but it works for time crunch.

6 on - 1 rest day, put it where ever you feel needs the break.
Goal was to hit these lifts 2x per week Bench, Squat, DL, Cleans, Mil Press
Most are 5x5

1) Bench / MP (Chest / Shoulder )
2) Squat / Clean (Lower)
3) DL (Back )
4) MP (Arms)
5) Bench / Clean (Chest / Shoulder)
6) Squat / DL (Lower / Back)

Keeping it to 6-8 lifts per day @ 3-5 sets

Settled in to finding a mix of routine that feels great and can get in and out gym 50-70 minutes. Not perfect but it works for time crunch.

6 on - 1 rest day, put it where ever you feel needs the break.
Goal was to hit these lifts 2x per week Bench, Squat, DL, Cleans, Mil Press
Most are 5x5

1) Bench / MP (Chest / Shoulder )
2) Squat / Clean (Lower)
3) DL (Back )
4) MP (Arms)
5) Bench / Clean (Chest / Shoulder)
6) Squat / DL (Lower / Back)

Keeping it to 6-8 lifts per day @ 3-5 sets
imo 6 days of lifting is too much
Cleans before squats or bench
Deadlift once per week
You need rows

imo 6 days of lifting is too much
Cleans before squats or bench
Deadlift once per week
You need rows
I can't skip gym twice a week. Have to be in there doing something, anything. Even if just low cardio and stretching.
There are mixed lifts scattered through the days. I do rows on one of the back days.

It does catch up by the DL/ Squat day. Start feeling fatigued by set 2 or 3. Usually rest around day 4 or 5.

Back