Is it counter productive to switch routines every other week?

Because I enjoy lifting, as it says in the first part of the sentence.
You never get antsy on rest days? Today's rest for me and I wanna lift even tho I did squat bench and accessories yesterday. I'm gonna rest though. Time to stop being a dumb fuck and wrecking my recovery with junk volume.

Why?

I enjoy lifting, but I live for my rest days.
Excessively high energy levels. Use it for sleep therapy. Recovery is fine. Even if day 6-7 is just heavy bag and drills. Rest days are usually getting stuck late at work and having no time.

I'm having trouble following what you're asking. Are you looking for a training program where you can get in/out in no more than an hour? That shouldn't be a problem. Are you looking for a program where you can lift 6 days per week without grinding yourself into dust because you just like working out or are you specifically looking to get stronger? Are you looking to mix things up because you get bored easy?

I'm a solo parent, but my son is older (8). I try to lift at lunch time when I can, but if my workday is too busy I'll lift after we've had some quality time and he's playing video games or something. He still opens the garage door a couple times per training session. My current program is lifting 4 days/week with two conditioning/recovery days and one full rest day. I'm done in 45-60 minutes depending n the day, running a Push A, Pull A, Legs A, Push B, Pull B, Legs B schedule, so I'm not doing the same 4 training sessions every week and one of the groups gets doubled up each week. So if you get bored, something like that could be helpful. I don't, so I'd be perfectly happy doing the same 4-day split each week for 8-12 weeks or whatever.

I'm having trouble following what you're asking. Are you looking for a training program where you can get in/out in no more than an hour? That shouldn't be a problem. Are you looking for a program where you can lift 6 days per week without grinding yourself into dust because you just like working out or are you specifically looking to get stronger? Are you looking to mix things up because you get bored easy?
To answer them all. Yes . :D

More of a brain storming trial n error trying to cram a favorable session in limited time. All good for now. Just kept logging thoughts incase anyone else lurking was in same boat.

Too much exercise variety is counter productive in my opinion. Most people can't push themselves hard past 2 heavy/hard compound exercises. So they half ass the whole workout.

Back