Is it to late to attempt to go pro?

maddog0798

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I am 24 years old . I have some past experience, trained for almost a year when I was 17, but stopped ever since when I went to college. Am I too old?

Not too late to try, not a local pro. Maybe more. Depends on how good you are and how much effort you wanna give.

You've only trained for a year at the most when you were 17 and haven't trained in 7 years yet you want to go pro? I don't want to be harsh but you shouldn't even be thinking about going pro right now. My advice to you as someone who has quite a lot of Ammy experience is You should be getting your ass in a gym, training your ass off, take a couple of amateur fights, see how you like it and how you do then go from there. Fight training isn't easy, it's fucking hard. Training to compete also takes away your social life, so you must be prepared for that as well. You're not too old to start training to go pro but you're pretty old at 24 to have next to no experience. Unless you're a physical specimen or are naturally talented you're going to have a hard time playing catch up and competing with guys that have years of experience on you.

TLDR: Find a gym, put a lot of time into the gym, get some ammy fights, see how you like it and if you like it, then consider thinking about going pro.

No it’s not, you could definitely fight in the regional professional scene. You will never be the ufc champion, it is possible to get a ufc contract though

Don't even think about "going pro" just train, fight....enjoy. If you enjoy that routine first then later you can consider if you are good/dedicated enough to go pro. Right now you are not ready to even think about going pro and you have the wrong mindset as a beginner. People who usually think about "going pro" before they even start usually last a week. You need to first see if you enjoy actually fighting and the hard training routine that goes along with it. Your short term goal can just be winning a single fight or even just getting in the cage for an official ammy bout for now.

I am 24 years old . I have some past experience, trained for almost a year when I was 17, but stopped ever since when I went to college. Am I too old?
You asked is it too late to attempt. The answer is of course no, it's about the journey not just the destination.
A bit late if you want to reach the upper echelon with limited experience, but too late? Not at all.

So virtually no training and just about enough effort to post a two sentence question on a forum? I would say don't even bother, just do it as a hobby.

Agree with the others that you are not old for doing what you really like. It is also possible that you'll quit that again because you may understand that fighting is not for you. So you have to try to make sure do yu need this in your life or not

no, if u have the right genes then do it, but always remember, discipline is key, for without it, be prepared to get beat up to learn your lesson of not having discipline in the first place. the harder you train, the less painful during the fight, cardio, heart, and pain wise.

people are so dumb.....this section is about tuf, it just happens to be called "so you wanna be a fighter", this is not where you ask about being a fighter lol

You asked is it too late to attempt. The answer is of course no, it's about the journey not just the destination.
A bit late if you want to reach the upper echelon with limited experience, but too late? Not at all.

Kerouac....good quote sir.

Literally anyone can fight professionally. You apply for a license, contact a promoter and then walk to the cage. So long as they’ll license you it’s never too late.

Its never too late if you just want to fight to test your skills or spirit. Also I recommend that you do not make being a fighter your identity. Find the love for martial arts and let that be your passion.

No idea, but take your training seriously in a different way. I started boxing as 35 years for fun of it, but made really fast progress because I was studying it every night. Check Jack Slack and his analysis of different fights, try them out. They usually worked every single time. Coaches have the solid foundation, but they can be also very limited because they believe in the same things they have always been doing.

Lol no.

Plenty of time.
When you are 40 then ask that question. There are guys who fight their first pro fight at 40+, but they are doing it because they want to, not because they are expecting to be world champ soon. Fred Ettish fought his second pro fight in his early 50s to redeem his lone embarrassing loss at UFC 2 in 1994 when he was like 30.

Unless you are asking if you are too old to "make it" as a pro. Then ask when you are 30.

As a Sherdogger you should be struggling to make 265 but your muscular build combined with Sherdogger fight IQ should fast track you.

I had my first fight at 32.
Just keep in mind the window is short but it’s been done at your age.
You can have a pro fight at 40 but don’t count on achieving much.
You have time to grow, 24 is ok.

Lol no.

Plenty of time.
When you are 40 then ask that question. There are guys who fight their first pro fight at 40+, but they are doing it because they want to, not because they are expecting to be world champ soon. Fred Ettish fought his second pro fight in his early 50s to redeem his lone embarrassing loss at UFC 2 in 1994 when he was like 30.

Unless you are asking if you are too old to "make it" as a pro. Then ask when you are 30.

100%, I was 32.
Only had 4 then I stopped.
Trained 44 years but due to circumstances never wanted it until 34, I wasn’t expecting anything more then to have a few and test my abilities.

Any update on TS. Just follow ur dreams bro and always know your sherdog brothers are cheering you on.

Back