Is Pico A Bust?

26 years old with 14 professional fights, and he's gone 10-4 in the B leagues.

Yes, he's a "bust" in comparison with the hype at this point. He's halfway through his career. All 4 of his losses are against marginal talent.

He just got dominated and manhandled by a guy Volk casually knocked out in under two rounds back in 2019.

There is absolutely no reason to believe Pico could compete with elite fighters. He looks good against regional level talent, and has mixed results against B league opponents with winning records. Its possible he improves by leaps and bounds, sure. More likely he's just not as good as people thought he may turn out.

You bring up Kennedy's Volk loss but forgot to say he actually went 3-1 in the UFC and is 18-3 overall. He's not a bum.

And Adam Borics is a good fighter. Is 18-2 and was 12-0 when he fought Pico. And passes the eye test. No shame in losing to Borics.

I just think you're being too harsh on the guy. He had an unlucky night but it looked like fully healthy he would have handled Kennedy.

Give him time just like eric silva, both young men who has still room to grow.

The decision to pick Jackson's was questionable, it feels like that gym hasn't had much success in almost a decade.

Agreed. Everyone of note sans Jones has left, and it’s been a loooooong time since anyone has mentioned the once vaunted Jackson game planning. A very bizarre choice for a young fighter, but one that ultimately speaks to the perception of crowded contender gyms like ATT or AKA being too noisy to refine and distill talent on an individual level.

I havent been watching Bellator for a while, but he almost had Corrales when they fought and Borics is really good too.

I honestly dont remember Kennedy in the UFC but i checked wiki and he was 3-1 with the loss to Volk.

He iant losing to bums. How bad are the guys he has fighting in his streak? Are they straight jobbers or have they been even somewhat successful in Bellator?

Last edited:
I havent been watching Bellator for a while, but he almost had Corrales when they fought and Borics is really good too.

I honestly dont remember Kennedy in the UFC but i checked wiki and he was 3-1 with the loss to Volk.

He iant losing to bums. How bad are the guys he has fighting in his streak? Are they straight jobbers or have they been even somewhat successful in Bellator?

Justin Gonzales was a legit 12-0 prospect when Pico beat him. Leandro Higo was also a good win.

People forget Kennedy got choked out by Pineda in PFL, but it doesn't matter since it got overturned to a no contest.

not a bust.. just not as good as a lot of people thought he'd be at this point.

Still way too early to say anything. Freak injuries happen. Hope he heals up soon.

Prime GOATS
Is this the only thing some of you think about when discussing fights? Every Sherdog thread has to delve into the same tiresome GOAT nonsense. Give it a rest or keep it in the that one GOAT thread.

Last edited:
Pico’s still got a great skill set. I don’t think of yesterdays loss as anything to be honest.

Hope he heals up. Pulling on a broken clavicle seems brutal.

He almost strictly fights cans..
That's fair criticism. He's only a bust because he was over hyped at the start though. His MMA career hasn't been the best, but certainly far from the worst. Not everyone makes us capable of fighting at the upper echelon and that is completely acceptable since many of us will still enjoy watching those fights. He's certainly not a bust due to an injury loss though. And that is the event that spawned this thread.

Thompson made a fool of himself saying it should have continued

Last edited:
Felder made a fool of himself saying it should have continued
Thompson you mean. But my god, replace Big John and Thompson with Brian Campbell and Luke Thomas on the desk and bring in Dan Hardy or anyone to do color for the broadcast. Instant improvement.

Campbell and Thomas are literally under the Showtime label and getting paid by them

Amanda is my girl and probably the best thing to happen to the Bellator broadcast in years

Last edited:
He has 1 win against a guy with a wikipedia page

and 3 loses to guys with wikipedia pages

There was a period of several years when he was being hyped to the moon. He was still a kid at this point and there would be several sports articles on Bleacher Report written about him being the future of the sport due to the numerous wrestling and boxing accolades he was winning during his youth. He even had a Nike sponsorship at one point. So far it's been a bust when you consider the level of hype that surrounded him, but he does have time on his side. Maybe another gym switch is in order? Something like AKA or ATT.

10-4 is a 71% winning rate
A 9% difference is big. Also factor in that 20 fights is more than 14 fights. A difference of 6 fights is like 2 years worth of bouts for pros, and that's if they're fairly active. 16-4 is much more impressive than 10-4, it's not comparable.

Back