Is Prince one of the GOAT guitar players? In your opinion

Timestamped @ Prince's solo:

What do you guys think about that?

I’d think so.
Maybe not the best but Top 10 for sure.
And when you consider all his other talents, songwriting, composing, beating the Murphy brothers in basketball etc etc it wouldn’t be far to put him Top 5 Solo Artists ever.

And not a scandal to boot (just some undercover drug abuse) and along with being an overall nice guy.
I don’t think I’ve ever read of someone talking shit about him and that’s including his exes.
That’s amazing.

RIP you Purple Prince.

PS- thanks for help putting my lil baby boy to sleep for 4 months now. (He loves Prince ! Instant relax and nap time).

He kicked Kim Kardashian out of the stage so yeah.

Last edited:
I’d think so.
Maybe not the best but Top 10 for sure.
And when you consider all his other talents, songwriting, composing, beating the Murphy brothers in basketball etc etc it wouldn’t be far to put him Top 5 Solo Artists ever.

And not a scandal to boot (just some undercover drug abuse) and along with being an overall nice guy.
I don’t think I’ve ever read of someone talking shit about him and that’s including his exes.
That’s amazing.

RIP you Purple Prince.

PS- thanks for help putting my lil baby boy to sleep for 4 months now. (He loves Prince ! Instant relax and nap time).
https://www.spin.com/2013/03/prince-smashed-someone-elses-guitar-fallon/

I think he had the ability to be. If he had focused on guitar and played extended guitar solos on more of his great songs everyone would laud his playing. I've posted the video above before and it's amazing.

The reason why I'd maybe not put him at the top of the list of guitarists is that he had so many other talents that kind of pushed his guitar talents to the side a bit. And that's not even a shame because he did so much in his career. Just a supremely gifted human being.

He's definitely one of the GOAT musicians. There's only a handful I could think of that could hang with him in the overall musicianship/entertainment aspect. Pure genius. Greatest musician in the past 40 years Imo.
Definitely a genius musician. Here he is getting funky on the bass

Another one of my faves

I think he had the ability to be. If he had focused on guitar and played extended guitar solos on more of his great songs everyone would laud his playing. I've posted the video above before and it's amazing.

The reason why I'd maybe not put him at the top of the list of guitarists is that he had so many other talents that kind of pushed his guitar talents to the side a bit. And that's not even a shame because he did so much in his career. Just a supremely gifted human being.

I should have said GOAT musician, not guitarist

dont know about goat but he was a GREAT player- I think it was his strongest musical talent- wish he wouldve focused more on it throughout his career and leaned more towards band of gypsies style writing/playing

I knew that was the video before i clicked.. and yeah.. he is..

As far as mainstream pop / r&b stuff, yeah. But there are so many guys out there like Steve Vai and Van Halen that I would put above him.

Not just guitar. He was a good musician overall. He was a very good bass player too.

Back