Is Prince one of the GOAT guitar players? In your opinion

Prince was a helluva guitar player. I'd definitely put him in my Top 10 GOAT list

You could argue he was more talented than MJ definitely as a musician

They focused their talent in different areas. Both GOAT tier though.

Every once in a while I go back and watch this and get blown away all over again... dude was superhuman.

Oh no doubt

Michael is my favorite artist of all time. He only released two albums in the 80s and was the biggest music star in the world

He was insanely well rounded. Not the single best singer/guitarist/songwriter but elite in every of those aspects.

While Prince is regarded as a fine musician, he wasn’t necessarily seen as being in the top echelon of world-class guitarists by his fellow axe men. Rolling Stone’s 2003 list of the “Top 100 Guitarists of All Time” completely omitted him (although he was came in at number 33 in a later version).
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/eric-clapton-quote-about-prince/

Younger people don't know really know a lot of good guitar players and a lot of them never played the instrument. It's an excellent cover though.

I’d think so.
Maybe not the best but Top 10 for sure.
And when you consider all his other talents, songwriting, composing, beating the Murphy brothers in basketball etc etc it wouldn’t be far to put him Top 5 Solo Artists ever.

And not a scandal to boot (just some undercover drug abuse) and along with being an overall nice guy.
I don’t think I’ve ever read of someone talking shit about him and that’s including his exes.
That’s amazing.

RIP you Purple Prince.

PS- thanks for help putting my lil baby boy to sleep for 4 months now. (He loves Prince ! Instant relax and nap time).

the running gag was that Prince was somewhat of an asshole(not in a malicious evil way) and a major eccentric but people excuse it because “well, it’s Prince...”

Kevin Smith told a funny story about a documentary project he did with Prince. One of the many things to go in the vault and not be seen. Smith talked about all the weird and pretty assholish things Prince did but always told himself at the end of each incident “BUT IT’S PRINCE”

The guitar player for The Roots loaned Prince his prized guitar for a performance on the late show and at the end of a face melting solo Prince chucked it in the air and destroyed it. Pretty asshole thing to do. The Roots guitar players first reaction was to ask Prince to sign the ruined guitar and Prince refused to sign it. Even after a double whammy of asshole behavior..the guy pretty much said “BUT IT’S PRINCE”

But yeah, Prince was definitely one of the better solo players. Impressive considering all the other things he did at a very high level.

Last edited:
I guess that depends how long of a GOAT list you're making. Purely as a guitarist: Top 10? Definitely not. Top 100? Possibly.

He was a very good guitarist and much more impressive as an overall musician than as a guitarist.

A lot of the hype comes from people not expecting him to play as well as he did. But let’s be real- a lot of his solos were fairly standard blues/based lead guitar player stuff. As others have said, what’s more impressive is his overall level of competence in just about any instrument you’d see in a rock setting and his ability to compose pop songs.

Goat level as in Page,Eddie, Jimi, Clapton ....NO

I would put him on the second tier with Slash though.

I’d say top 10-15 for sure.

Back