Is there any benefits to holding pads? Any negative effects?

Berzerk

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I joined a gym but we have to hold pads and I hate it and it makes me not want to train. I think also there might be some mild damage from it maybe even brain damage since it's so much repeated impact. Anyways I know most of you will just laugh it off but I was holding just leg kick pads 2 weeks ago and my leg is still bruised and hurts from it. Couldn't walk right for a few days. Are pads safe to hold? Is there ANY benefits from this? Hurts like hell

I joined a gym but we have to hold pads and I hate it and it makes me not want to train. I think also there might be some mild damage from it maybe even brain damage since it's so much repeated impact. Anyways I know most of you will just laugh it off but I was holding just leg kick pads 2 weeks ago and my leg is still bruised and hurts from it. Couldn't walk right for a few days. Are pads safe to hold? Is there ANY benefits from this? Hurts like hell

I’m thinking maybe everyone in the gym gets pad duty…

It's safe. The leg pads is different because people can generate a lot of force on a low kick. You need to hold the suitcase pads a little bit angled to the front of your thighs with knee slightly bent. You will brace for the kick.

Don't hold it flat to the side of your thigh; your knee will buckle or get injured. You can get away with it if someone is a lot smaller or the pad is new high quality pad. Not all pad brands are made equally and some will wear out faster. If your pad looks worn out or flimsy then change it to a newer one. Also partner up with someone close to your size. Some people have really bad aim too. Depending on your height they might totally miss the pad and kick you in the knee/calf.

It's safe. The leg pads is different because people can generate a lot of force on a low kick. You need to hold the suitcase pads a little bit angled to the front of your thighs with knee slightly bent. You will brace for the kick.

Don't hold it flat to the side of your thigh; your knee will buckle or get injured. You can get away with it if someone is a lot smaller or the pad is new high quality pad. Not all pad brands are made equally and some will wear out faster. If your pad looks worn out or flimsy then change it to a newer one. Also partner up with someone close to your size. Some people have really bad aim too. Depending on your height they might totally miss the pad and kick you in the knee/calf.

Thanks for the tips I never really held the pads for leg kicks and it was probably my fault.

Advantages for me:
- I get familiar with visual cues of specific strikes. Kinda helps in sparring.
- I get practice on timing the "bracing" part of defense; I brace with the pads at the last milisecond when my partner is throwing a body kick (for example) - similarly, in sparring I'd brace at the last millisecond for a Dutch block to a body kick. I'd imagine there's some skill transfer there.
- You get familiar with common strike sequences, which makes them easier to anticipate in sparring

Just a few things. I'm sure there are many others.

To answer your question TS: holding pads in class is fine in small doses. If you’re worried about head trauma from holding pads then this might not be the sport for you, even as a hobby.

you develop your eyes when you hold pads. You learn to be calm and relaxed when someone is hitting you and how to read what’s coming next. It will help your defense tremendously.

First with hand pads you don't just hold them. To do it properly you hit the punch or kick as it lands. With leg kicks this depends on the type of pads. Also you both don't just stand there you move like you are sparing. This helps with hand eye development for both. This also helps the impact to the pad holder. Good pad work is active not static.

First with hand pads you don't just hold them. To do it properly you hit the punch or kick as it lands. With leg kicks this depends on the type of pads. Also you both don't just stand there you move like you are sparing. This helps with hand eye development for both. This also helps the impact to the pad holder. Good pad work is active not static.

God help you.
When you are doing for example mittwork?
You are moving forvard vs punch coming in?

God help you.
When you are doing for example mittwork?
You are moving forvard vs punch coming in?

It depends on the combination. 1 I worked. Fight orthodox, my stance the same. We start from normal sparing distance. I move forward with a ( tip the top of the mit forward). He slips the the jab with lateral movement to his right and counters with a a straight right. I pivot to align he steps forward with a jab to close and throws a double left hook, body, head. I move laterally to disengage, he throw a punch or kick to disrupting my movement. Then we move to set again and work again. We keep moving like we are sparing. Depending on what we were working on would depend on the pads I used. If kicking I wore focuses mits. Forearm pads a light body pad and thick shin guards. I tended to block leg kicks with my legs. That get a little much for a beginner at first.

Different gyms do things differently and I don't judge how anyone else does it. I just know other coaches and fighters like the way I work the pads. However many like the way they did if different from me.

Pads is one thing but guys punching me on my gloves I have to hard pass, as I got finger issues.

Brain damage? OK you're banned and can't answer how. Lol he said brain damage.

This is a troll post right?
How are you holding pads that you’re worried about brain damage?

Do you tape the pads to your head?

That might explain why you don't like holding them.

Assuming you just had one of those square leg kick pads that you hold from a handle on the top, I agree they're the worst. That's the most painful pad holding in my experience. As another poster said you want to bend the knee and face your leg front toward the kick. Put weight on it. You will want to have that leg light, or at least that's a common reaction in my gym. Don't! Weight on the leg, bent, front of the leg facing the brunt of the kick (so that means turning out). Do you have as many problems just holding regular Thai pads or is it mainly the leg one?

Pros: LETS GO CHAMP WORK IT WORK IT YEAH THAT'S WHAT I LIKE TO SEE BEAUTIFUL CHAMP BEAUTIFUL NOW LETS SEE SOME HEAD MOVEMENT YEAH THAT'S IT CHAMP PUTTIN IN THAT WORK

Cons: the creeping void of existential dread weeping up through the cracks of this facile existence, a sub-cthonic ooze that dissolves all superficial meaning back into the chaos from which it sprang - how can these sheeple go on pretending any of this matters when they haven't even grappled with the possibility that nothing but nothingness itself awaits at the end. My hands hurt.

Last edited:
Pros: LETS GO CHAMP WORK IT WORK IT YEAH THAT'S WHAT I LIKE TO SEE BEAUTIFUL CHAMP BEAUTIFUL NOW LETS SEE SOME HEAD MOVEMENT YEAH THAT'S IT CHAMP PUTTIN IN THAT WORK

Cons: I am Jack's creeping void of existential dread weeping up through the cracks of facile existence, a sub-cthonic ooze that dissolves all superficial meaning back into the chaos from which it sprang - how can these sheeple go on pretending any of this matters when they haven't even grappled with the possibility that nothing but nothingness itself awaits at the end. My hands hurt.
mine do too.

It's a great skill to learn. You also get to see strikes coming at you at full speed which is what most people don't get to experience even in sparring.

never been a fan myself, heavy bag is better anyway, it just makes the class more interactive

Back