Social Is there any body of fresh water in Australia that is safe to swim in?

MicroBrew

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
Been watching a lot of croc videos, videos on the infamous Aussi Cahill crossing in Australia's Nothern Territory. Videos on Aussia salties, the largest and most aggressive crocodile species..

It seems to me no body of fresh water is safe for swimming, in Australia??

INB4 swimming pool

No way in hell would I be driving through Cahill crossing in that little pickup when the water is like that

Damn, Aussies need to learn about these bridge things. Like, it could be some logs!!!

Damn, Aussies need to learn about these bridge things. Like, it could be some logs!!!

I don't know how true this is, @Ruprecht may know : I've read that the reason the crossing does not have a traditional bridge is because it is Aboriginal territory and they don't want a bridge messing up the enviroment.

As an Aussie I can tell you it's the opposite.

Our wildlife isn't that dangerous. Honey Bees are the most deadly animal we have killing around 10 people per year.

Crocs and Sharks are 1-2 per year. Of the "deadly" animals snakes are the worst and even that's under two.

Want a country with deadly Animals? India has around 46,000 people killed by snakes every year!

I don't know how true this is, @Ruprecht may know : I've read that the reason the crossing does not have a traditional bridge is because it is Aboriginal territory and they don't want a bridge messing up the enviroment.

Just call it a Spirit Bridge, from a spirit who wants safe crossings. Animists satisfied, bingo bango you're done.

Our wildlife isn't that dangerous. Honey Bees are the most deadly animal we have killing around 10 people per year.

Crocs and Sharks are 1-2 per year. Of the "deadly" animals snakes are the worst and even that's under two.

Want a country with deadly Animals? India has around 46,000 people killed by snakes every year!
India is densely populated with lots of extremely poor people though. Poor countries always have high death counts.

India is densely populated with lots of extremely poor people though. Poor countries always have high death counts.

Adjusted for population their snakes kill over 350x times as many people.

The stats don't really back up our animals killing people. We have a lot that CAN kill you... but they don't.

Aside from honeybees our next deadliest is the Eastern Brown Snake, which probably kills as many Australians as pet dogs kill Americans when adjusted for population.

We really are city dwellers.

Aussies are about as worried about crocs as Americans are about polar bears.

I think the best thing foreigners fail to realise is that we don’t really have things that will chase you.

Been watching a lot of croc videos, videos on the infamous Aussi Cahill crossing in Australia's Nothern Territory. Videos on Aussia salties, the largest and most aggressive crocodile species..

INB4 swimming pool

No way in hell would I be driving through Cahill crossing in that little pickup when the water is like that

Most bodies of water are fine. Northern Australia has a lot of crocodiles, but they are in fresh water and saltwater. Biggest danger in most fresh water is Snakes having a swim and occasionally a fresh water eel.

Adjusted for population their snakes kill over 350x times as many people.

The stats don't really back up our animals killing people. We have a lot that CAN kill you... but they don't.

Aside from honeybees our next deadliest is the Eastern Brown Snake, which probably kills as many Australians as pet dogs kill Americans when adjusted for population.
India has extreme poverty though and hundreds of millions of people living in rural areas in close proximity to venomous snakes, with little or no medical care available.

We really are city dwellers.

Aussies are about as worried about crocs as Americans are about polar bears.

I think the best thing foreigners fail to realise is that we don’t really have things that will chase you.
That's reasonable. But if Rachel Hunter decides she is willing to hunt can you pass my name on?

EDIT: she's from NZ? I've been crushing for all these years and I got her POB wrong? I wrote her a love letter in 4th grade.

India has extreme poverty though and hundreds of millions of people living in rural areas in close proximity to venomous snakes, with little or no medical care available.

Yeah and in Australia we don't.

Horses kill around twice as many people as snakes here.

So jump in the water then

What about drop bears?

INB4 swimming pool

The fuck...? You do realise that crocs are only found up north of Australia right?

Most fresh water in Australia is perfectly safe to swim in. Just watch the trees overhead for dropbears and you'll be fine.

Back