Social Is there any body of fresh water in Australia that is safe to swim in?

Been watching a lot of croc videos, videos on the infamous Aussi Cahill crossing in Australia's Nothern Territory. Videos on Aussia salties, the largest and most aggressive crocodile species..

It seems to me no body of fresh water is safe for swimming, in Australia??

INB4 swimming pool

No way in hell would I be driving through Cahill crossing in that little pickup when the water is like that

Do you want to hire an Indian guide for 15 dollars and a box of bullets or do you want to caulk the wagon .....

I don't know how true this is, @Ruprecht may know : I've read that the reason the crossing does not have a traditional bridge is because it is Aboriginal territory and they don't want a bridge messing up the enviroment.

I don't know about that, but it's the middle of Arnhem land. There's few sealed roads, let alone bridges. 25 and half million people in 7 and a half million square kilometres, with most of the population urbanised. It's not like we can afford to just build and maintain infrastructure in the middle of nowhere when most of the tiny population that lives there is perfectly capable in a 4wd.

I don't know about that, but it's the middle of Arnhem land. There's few sealed roads, let alone bridges. 25 and half million people in 7 and a half million square kilometres, with most of the population urbanised. It's not like we can afford to just build and maintain infrastructure in the middle of nowhere when most of the tiny population that lives there is perfectly capable in a 4wd.

...except the chronically stupid that attempt to drive across obviously flooded roads.

The stats don't really back up our animals killing people. We have a lot that CAN kill you... but they don't.

Would you agree that a big part of that may be that you know what not to do and where not to go? I mean, I live in Northern California. The only thing we have around here that could kill you is rattlesnakes. And I know not to go picking up large rocks, or otherwise fucking with clusters of large rocks, especially near a river or wildlife habitat.

Would you agree that a big part of that may be that you know what not to do and where not to go? I mean, I live in Northern California. The only thing we have around here that could kill you is rattlesnakes. And I know not to go picking up large rocks, or otherwise fucking with clusters of large rocks, especially near a river or wildlife habitat.

If I went up north (especially Northern Territory) I'm going to be wary about salties, they're an apex predator, they're in pretty high numbers after culling was banned and despite the name they will inhabit fresh water.

Other than that not really.

I am probably going to take a bandage on walks on holiday as GF nearly stepped on snakes on two separate occasions last time. Before then I had only seen snakes in a zoo.

Just looked up the stats... 3000 snake bites per year. Two of which are fatal.

The most dangerous animals are bloody magpies. Getting swooped by them when riding down the street is terrifying.

America has it's fair share of dangerous animals too, especially bears, snakes, and mountain lions.

If I went up north (especially Northern Territory) I'm going to be wary about salties, they're an apex predator, they're in pretty high numbers after culling was banned and despite the name they will inhabit fresh water.

Other than that not really.

I am probably going to take a bandage on walks on holiday as GF nearly stepped on snakes on two separate occasions last time. Before then I had only seen snakes in a zoo.

Just looked up the stats... 3000 snake bites per year. Two of which are fatal.
What are salties? And also, I understand that a smaller percentage of the population are killed by wild animals than other places. My question was more “Is that because the local population knows what to watch out for?” In other words, if you just took a bunch of people from America and put them in Australia, would that death rate be higher?

Most bodies of water are fine. Northern Australia has a lot of crocodiles, but they are in fresh water and saltwater. Biggest danger in most fresh water is Snakes having a swim and occasionally a fresh water eel.
No, the biggest danger is good ole Mark Hunto roaming around Western Sydney.

I wish @Slobodan would go swim
Hey lsa, unlike you I am a good swimmer and nothing bad will happen. You suck.

My friend Alison has a nice big bathtub.

The most dangerous animals are bloody magpies. Getting swooped by them when riding down the street is terrifying.
My school had a long footpath at the entrance, every damn summer the magpies would constantly be swooping you. It was so annoying.

What are salties? And also, I understand that a smaller percentage of the population are killed by wild animals than other places. My question was more “Is that because the local population knows what to watch out for?” In other words, if you just took a bunch of people from America and put them in Australia, would that death rate be higher?

Crocodiles can't survive in colder weather, their habitat is tropical. It is only the northern most parts of Australia where crocodiles live. It's common knowledge, plus a shitload of warning signs.

It depends where you put them I guess. As 90% of our population live in cities, in most cases, they'd be fine.

if you go outside chances are a wild animal will kill you in australia, statistically speaking its guaranteed you will die from kangaroo attack most of the time

Lol , I remember being with my kids and this very hot office worker was tottering along on high heels all dressed to impress . Very much look at me , I'm hot . However the picture was ruined by the seagulls that decided they wanted the croissant she was carrying. After being divebombed for 30 seconds she gave up, threw the croissant away whilst screaming and staggered off clutching her coffee...she looked daggers at me when she heard me laughing.

Mind you , about 2 minutes later a bird shat onto my shoulder and hair. Karma.

Back