Is There Any Use of the Backfists?

Yes, it working as we have seen, but isn't dangerous for the knuckles. As far as I know big part of knuckle breakages are happening when knuckles connect with temples.

Never heard of this being an issue before. The temple is a soft region to strike.

Never heard of this being an issue before. The temple is a soft region to strike.
As far as I know- it is bad to connect there without gloves. I don't much experience with hard shots there. In a local self defense system we were taught to strike with the big knuckles the rear part of the jaw (where it is connected with the skull). And if I go for the temples, I might try the bottom of the fist, vertical hammer fist.

First- I mean the regular back fist, not spinning back fist. Is there any use in real fights for this strikes? When we spar light I use it from time to time, but when the spars are harder I forget to use it. I have never met someone who have used it in a hard sparring. This is a technique which is not very common, but still exists, why? As far as I know it is used in JKD, but is some kind of feint or is a real weapon?
Def a real weapon I use it regularly it very underutilized and has many variations
It can come from the side or over the top smashing the nose or clearing you opponent guard leaving an open line to inflict damage especially if you use the push shuffle footwork will make it very violent and ballistic when lands

Def a real weapon I use it regularly it very underutilized and has many variations
It can come from the side or over the top smashing the nose or clearing you opponent guard leaving an open line to inflict damage especially if you use the push shuffle footwork will make it very violent and ballistic when lands
In the Shaolin style of Wushu we were taught to use it over the top. I've trained a local self defense system and were were taught ot use it from top, too. THe difference is that in Wushu the punch comes from low level, goes from the outside of your body and lands in center line, while in the second case we were just using it from the guard.

Isn't every flick jab / jab from Philly position in boxing a "backhand" aka backfist?

In boxing it is never used as a power punch but a speed punch to annoy and provoke.

Ofc a slapping style backfist would be another matter.

Isn't every flick jab / jab from Philly position in boxing a "backhand" aka backfist?

In boxing it is never used as a power punch but a speed punch to annoy and provoke.

Ofc a slapping style backfist would be another matter.
Yes, there is truth in that statement. The things could go a little different if we talk about bare hand fighting.

Arlovski throws them on occasion.

A great technique for when they slip to the outside of your jab or cross. More than likely wont cause a KO, but it always catches them off guard and sets up follow up shots.

A great technique for when they slip to the outside of your jab or cross. More than likely wont cause a KO, but it always catches them off guard and sets up follow up shots.
Yes, it works, but I've tried it only in sparrings, not in a real fight or in a competetion.

Back