Is this MMA guy really throwing decent muay thai kicks on the bag?

His kicking is top notch IMO.
But that is just one way of kicking and there are many variations of the Thai style mid-kick.

What I noticed in his kick that would be atypical for MT kickers (not saying it's wrong, just that it is atypical):
- his kicks are very horizontal while typical Thai kicks are more vertical
- his hand motions are sort of robotic
- his left kick is VERY atypical. A Thai would do a switch kick and not that weird kung fu step.

he is a pro currently signed with One FC....I think he's a blue belt with like 25ish MT fights.

I think he's a brown belt, pretty good wrestler too from what I've seen (with leg attacks at least).

He's a legitimate MMA prospect, as far as his youtube content goes, I would say it's not bad as he's a decent fighter but he's not really putting much time into the video's and the stuff I've seen has an obvious spammy/clickbait feel to it. Like the clips here, some were incredibly obvious just to pad the video out.

Last edited:
Well, there are stuff that not anyone will put videos on YT for observation.
I may personally include examples like some guys from boxing TOP50, former world champs in KB, a gentleman that had been paid to help serve 3 Olympic teams, etc like stuff.
-------------

I have no experience in Muay Thai and I've seen worse but it looks to me that he is not timing the hip thrust optimally. There's something really OFF in his contortion that negates a lot of the power.

What are some of the things to look for here from a muay thai lens`?

Looks good to me

Nitpicking and not watching his whole video n tips.......he’s leaning backwards n sideways too much. It would be faster n stronger if he kept his core straight.

Too big of a step too imo. It’s fine on bags n pads but not so much with a live opponent.

That huge counter rotation he does prior to kicking is shit too. Too big of a tell and one other minus, aside from the obvious, is that a teep will seriously unbalance him and make him look bad to the judges etc.

His reset is a bit slow too and he doesn’t sit his weight back to be ready to check, skip or punch after. He just kind of stays front-mid weight biased.
At least expect a comeback, if nothing else.

He’s ok. Nobody anyone with a few months in should be listening too but that’s imo.

What does half way teaching mean?
Hey you should help me out and show how a tkd kid throws a low kick. I'm shit with technology, it took me long enough to figure out how to post it on YouTube. It is called lowkick and my name is Joe Gatti.

Technique is fine, and as it is the most fundamental thing in muay Thai it would be pretty embarrassing if it wasn't.

A pure MT fighter with 100+ fights in thailand however, usually has some minor variations / finesse. Which go beyond maximal loading and smashing the bag , they are concerned more about balance, getting "inside" of potential checks etc . But those things are kinda irrelevant are too difficult for a beginner to grasp. MMA shredded guy may well have all that finesse but didn't want to show it here for those reasons.

He's so slow, he makes my brother look like Usain bolt.
How do we know he isn't being slow for educational purposes?
Also even if he was slow because he cant go any faster, would have the same effect. Being great for beginners to view and learn.

i dislike that guy hes a jack of trades he tried to make khabib vids when he isnt even blue belt grappling level hes the modern day expert village type vid

a lot of his videos are very clickbaity, how to kick like "muay thai thai star" how to punch like "boxing star" so on and so forth. He also had quite a few videos of him kind of showboating while sparring beginners, or demonstrating how to do fancy moves in sparring on beginners......but its all good/smart marketing for youtube as thats what gets views...all that being said he is a good fighter, and made it to ONEFC so you cant knock the guy. I mean thats pretty much how youtube works. No one wants to watch your video unless your doing a double flying spinning elbow on someone, and the general public is so ignorant to the sport, that most are unable to even recognize whether its being done a beginner or not.

@spacetime

His muay thai kicks are correct technique and all the advice given in the video is solid.

My only issue is his weight is too far back on the kick, when he recovers he has to take an extra step to re-balance himself

But he's a MMA fighter not a MT/KB striker, so his striking is adjusted for MMA; So it's gonna look different from pure striking. Seen a few of his other videos before, and its okay I guess, but I wouldn't rely in it 100% for material to use when you have a MT/KB fight.

I hear you....but I think some people lean back more than others, maybe its a flexibility issue, im dunno, but I do know leaning back will increase the power a bit. Take a look at how Sam A kicks, he leans back a lot.

That a very good kick. And its from a legit fighter.

There is no single textbook answer to the perfect roundkick. There are some basic things that need to be in place. Balance and moment. But other then that. You take your feet or shin from A to B. With enough power to hurt the Target, without getting hit by a counter. And you get back to your stance knowing what or where you are att..

Other then that, how much you pivot, turn, keep your hands, if you use english, thai, Japan, or Norwegian name for the kick....? Who the fuck cares.

How many different left hooks have you seen? The kick is no different.

Back