Is this the true birth of rap?

DoctorDeelon

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
DO Joe Strummer and Debbie Harry get enough credit for inventing rap?

Rapture is often credited with being the 1st mainstream song that had rapping in it. This fact will blow the minds of black youth that thought rap started with NWA or even 2Pac.

First rap in a song?

There is an old blues tune by Butterbean and Suzy, wihere Butterbean takes off on a.....rap....see if I can find it. This is way back when.

While I love those artists, Sugarhill Records had already released Greatest Rap Hits Volumes 1 & 2 and both were heavily influenced by those records. Blondie mentions Fab Five Freddy among others in Rapture and Grandmaster Flash opened for The Clash at Bonds in NYC.

Very cool cross pollination going on at that time. I don’t discount any of it.

Folks will always discuss the origins of rap & hip hop. I’m of the view that most have validity except for claims that it started at one specific place or time.

Last edited:
Blondie was a huge inspiration for a lot of rappers

NINTCHDBPICT000003085476-e1586941915268.jpg

sisqo-hosts-at-the-radio-music-awards-show-in-the-aladdin-theatre-for-the-performing-arts-november-4-2000-in-las-vegas-sisqo-won-hip-hoprythmic-song-of-the-year-and-radio-party-song-of-the-year-both-for-his-hit-thong-song-the-show-was-broadcast-live-on-the-abc-network-2D4ETTE.jpg

I loved Blondie but hated Rapture. First for me was Rapper's Delight, but I had to hide the record in my room because my dad swore he'd smash it to bits if he ever found it.

I recently read this book on the history of rap, one of the best books I ever read about the music business, so well researched and in depth, amazing amount of details
Starts out in the New York ghetto street parties of the 70's, where DJs would do quick little boast rhymes in between records and takes you through the entire journey of how that evolved into the multi billion dollar industry that we know today
Been listening to rap since the early 80's and this book brought back so many memories of names, songs and events that I hadnt thought about for 35 years
Such a great book, highly recommend

0451234782.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SX500_.jpg

Rapture is often credited with being the 1st mainstream song that had rapping in it. This fact will blow the minds of black youth that thought rap started with NWA or even 2Pac.
Every artist commits at least one musical crime in their career; this was Blondie's.

Back