Is Tony's BJJ Way Overratted?

Phoney got dominated on the ground by a can who got his skull caved in by Felder from his guard, lol. He's a shitty bluebelt at best. Cope.
fighters dont improve lmao, back to 4chan you weird shitposting manchild, literally just saying dumb shit for a rise or to be edgy hahahahahaha jesus christ.

i think Khabib would've beat the fuck out of him.
Absolutely and a lot of us were saying this when he was on that 12 fight win streak. Kept hearing Tony would cut him up from underneath with elbows lol. Yeah..what a great place to be against a mauler like Khabib. I wanted to see that fight bad just to watch all that Sherdog hype go down the shitter. I'm not a Tony hater either, just a fight realist. Tried telling Sherdog Jake Paul was going to ruin Askren because I know boxing and what Ben was going to bring to the table(nothing) but the majority didn't listen.

Last edited:
Tony is one of the most overrated fighters in my time watching this sport. If not for an iron jaw, he’d already be in Bellator. That’s the way I see it. Screw his db fans, while we’re at it. They are a joke.

Do you remember them calling him the LW GOAT?

what is the abbreviation of "db", I didn't get what you said by db fans

Huh? My post clearly says he’s closer to 40 than he is to 30. He’s also got a style of getting hit every fight while we’re at it. There was also a knee thing and a cable. None of this sounds good for longevity.
Read your own post before trying to correct mine. You may have meant 30 but typed 35.

He's well past his prime and got outgrappled (but not submitted) by the best BJJ fighter at LW. And before someone tells me another fighter has better BJJ credentials than Oliveira, I'll simply say look at the number and wins by submission he's had in the UFC. MMA submissions and pure BJJ competition submissions are different. Also, fighters age and aren't as mobile and dynamic as they used to be. Look what just happened to Jacare, and to BJ Penn near the end of his career.

Just curious to hear some opinions

I think we've all seen him look less than stellar on the ground and this legendary guard game is elusive to say the least. He sometimes has this way of looking like a flopping fish at times

What say you sherdog?
Tony has excellent killer instincts and will usually finish a fight if he goes to the ground in an advantageous position, but above basic defense, not world class defense.

Tony has excellent killer instincts and will usually finish a fight if he goes to the ground in an advantageous position, but above basic defense, not world class defense.
I think Tony is a prime example of physical strength going a long way

this imo is his big weakness

Only been subbed once and has pulled out crazy submissions.

From a pure grappling POV, yes.

He wouldn't fair well against any top level BJJ fighter.

For MMA it ain't bad I guess, but Oliveira's was better

Ok, so after 1.5 rounds against a competent BJJ guy, I think we have an answer to TS’s question.

fighters dont improve lmao, back to 4chan you weird shitposting manchild, literally just saying dumb shit for a rise or to be edgy hahahahahaha jesus christ.
Phoney Ferguson: no TDD, no groundgame. Dariush made him look like a shitty bluebelt, which he is. Fake Mexican. Fake elite fighter whose only wins of note against RDA and Barboza were achieved by cheating. Cope.

Subbed Oliveira too.
Oh yeah. And Chiesa too.
thats what i was talking about, some impressive subs that fooled people into thinking he was a sub ace. but his actual positional control and attacks are suspect
Wait.. who has Tony subbed that was impressive? Kevin Lee? LOL. Last minute Vanatta? Edson Barboza after cheating with an illegal kick and the ref rushing Edson to come back while clearly hurt?

Back