Isami double weave BJJ gi vs. Origin Axiom

ChickenBrother

JCPENNEY $3.98 BELT
@Black
Reaction score
My main rotation gi is an Origin Axiom which is a damn fine gi. I don't like the patches but can live with them. I need another gi for my rotation and am considering the Isami DW Sashiko.

Has anyone worn or handled both of these gis to speak to relative fit, thickness and comfort?

If Origin made a plain Axiom with no patches, I would get that and call it a day. What's steering me toward the Isami is having recently rolled in my old mid-grade Judo DW from the 90's - it's not even a premium gi but is softer, better made and more bulletproof than any BJJ gi I've ever seen including the Axiom. I used it for almost 5 years and it probably has another 5 in it. Unfortunately it fits like a tent (90's Judo gis were baggier than current).

Chokesports has a plain DW Sashiko with no patches for the same price Origin is charging for the 2018 Axiom. Alternatively, I could separately get the Isami jacket + Origin pants (which are great) for about the same price.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Isami A2 jacket should arrive in 2 weeks from Japan. I'm sure the Isami pants are great but I prefer ripstop, so separately ordered Atama ripstop pants (same as Mundial 9) in A1 which arrived yesterday. Initial impression is they fit well, are sturdy and light but are a little more plasticky than I prefer. I got them based on stellar reviews, but am concerned those were for the earlier version which appears to have been 57% cotton/43% poly. The ones I received are 50/50. I expect they will soften over time, similar to my Gameness Air pants which also started out plasticky, but I'm disappointed they're not soft off the bat as per earlier reviews.

Side note on the Origin pro pants (I already have one pair): if you like drill cotton pants, these are fantastic. They fit like a pair of khaki trousers but the double layer knee reinforcements, while durable, are thicker and hotter than I'd prefer and make it slightly harder to bring my knees toward my chest (I have thick legs relative to my waist size). After rolling in them for a year and a half, I've concluded that I prefer the lighter weight and (for me) slightly greater mobility of ripstop. I want my gi pants to fit and feel like pajama bottoms.

If Origin made their pro pants in ripstop, I'd favor them over any other.

Last edited:
UPDATE: I ordered the Isami jacket almost 2 weeks ago, and they sent me an email status with "estimated ship date" of "16 July at 3 pm." That date came and went so I followed up yesterday and was told by Lisa Anderson that "sometimes there can be delays," to "be patient" and "the order will ship anytime now."

OK that's pretty useless and more than a little frustrating for an item they 1) told me was in stock and 2) provided an estimated ship date which they have been unable to honor. As of now, online status shows it still hasn't shipped.

On another note, I'm surprised no one has responded or commented ITT. I'm just responding to myself, so unless someone confirms interest in a comparison between the two gis in the OP, I'll just /thread here.

Last edited:
Back