Shoop (ISL) International Shoop League Season 9 Sign Up and Trash Talking Thread! UFC 259 and 260!

one theory of mine is He could be reliving His past, it must've involved Blunt Trauma to His brain, altering His behavior. It could explain the scarred face, The car, etc. the black and white photography must've represented His past days as a professional stuntman. This could also explain His character around the end, how He went from chasing those girls to ended up being scared and apologizing because It's the sickest thoughts that are controlling Him and not His true self in the past. It could also be the reason for His fetish.

Also if you haven't give a read to Tarentino's thoughts on his "Extended Universe(s)" from a few years back and various characters. It's something heavily considered given his constant use of the same actors (and oft similar characters).

I want to sign up :D @bigwaverider

Sweetness!! You are #29 sir. Welcome to the show brah.

200w.gif

I can upload the audio for you if you like? I managed to find a copy and converted it to MP3

Only 100mb, I'll upload it to mediafire unless you'd prefer somewhere else

Also play a drinking game and take a shot every time he says 'alright', you'll be cunted after 10 minutes

Lmao, great idea. I'll be sure to have cases of beer with me.

Also if you haven't give a read to Tarentino's thoughts on his "Extended Universe(s)" from a few years back and various characters. It's something heavily considered given his constant use of the same actors (and oft similar characters).

I'm aware of His extended Universe but I'm not big on it, I believe them to be their own universes. in my opinion.

But i'm interested in His universe, how movies are movies that characters see in the theater like dusk til dawn in the movie theater. it's an interesting concept but it kinda ruins the enjoyment to me.

Watch the Tarantino commentary on True Romance, will put the creative control thing to bed
Great call!

https://filmschoolrejects.com/32-things-we-learned-from-the-true-romance-commentary-1ca00b935d48/

If anyone got actual videos of the commentary, I would love that but for now, found this. Very interesting to read.

"Terrence Malick’s Badlands was one of Scott’s top five movies, and the film about a young couple who go on a killing spree was a big influence on Scott for True Romance. He asked the film’s composer Hans Zimmer to use the theme in Badlands as a reference to his theme for Clarence and Alabama here. “I didn’t have any qualms for wanting to pay homage to that film,” says Scott. He notes it reflects Alabama’s child-like innocence extremely well.

<WellThere>

I'm still not 100% convinced that there wasn't a convo about it between Scott & Tarantino about the couple's theme music & I'm not just talking out my ass because the whole film's "general structure"... is basically modeled after Badlands & so it very well could've been a suggestion from Taranino man to man. (not in the script)

That said... at 34:00 or so of Quenton's "in movie commentary"... he says that only that one song playing at that time was the only one of his music cues that he offered in his script that made it to the final movie & he declares that Scott picked his own music. So I'm putting it to rest that Quenton might of suggested that Badlands track even though I see a hair of possibility otherwise.

I just did a Badlands & True Romance marathon today. Very similar "general" structure. The commentary by the girl in both movies is not only common, but has a similar tone & feel. Scott obviously understood the connection & purposefully emulated the iconic film. The obvious main similarity is that they're a couple in love who go on a killing spree.

Though the general plot is the same... they do have their own unique stories to tell... & obviously the more modern of the 2 is much faster paced with much more going on... but still the template was followed in so many ways that it could legit be named Badlands 2, especially with them sharing the same theme music for the chaotic couple in both. So I didn't think it was a stretch that Quenton might had mentioned the music track... but it appears he didn't.
<Fedor23>

I'm definitely loving the title True Romance... but for sure it's practically a sequel. Might of even been fun to make one or the other the grandkid of the Badlands couple. Except that they supposedly didn't hook up... but whatevz. :rolleyes:

Here'z a fun dig into those 2 "main character themes"... & spoiler alert... there's a surprise there you might not expect!
<DCWhoa>

If you want to hear how similar the tracks from Badlands & True Romance are... check out the following 2 videos.

Carl Orff - Gassnhauer (From the Badlands movie)

"Your So Cool" by Hans Zimmer (True Romance)

The plot thickenz :eek:... & this has been quite the topic of discussion across social media that Hanz Zimmer ripped off Carl Orff. However, it's actually credited to Orff's long time collaborator Gunlid Keetman.

The plot thickens further
:eek::eek: because Keetman ripped off the composition "Gassenhauer Nach Hans" by Hans Neusidler composed in the year 1536 for the Lute. Originally transposed for his music education system called Orff Schulwerk... Keetman's colleague Orff took the liberty of using his transcription to make Badlands.

So anyone saying that Zimmerman ripped off either Orff or Keetman, don't know what they're talking about. (& there's a lot of people out there saying that) They all ripped off my man Neusidler. o_O (that's the unexpected surprise I told you about.)

In 1970 Keetman's transcription & subsiquent recording was the theme for the radio show "Gassenhauer. Once Orff used it in Badlands (1973), an entire string of cinematic uses followed which include True Romance (1993) (cover version by Hans Zimmer), Ratcatcher (1999), Finding Forrester (2000), Monster (2003), Michael Moore's Capitalism: A Love Story (2009) and The Simpsons′ 22nd-season episode "The Scorpion's Tale" (2011).
<escalate99>

Who knew your question about the movies theme ran so deep!!! :D

1. the music used in the opening, yea, that's fine. however, it doesn't help the fact that I've heard that same music eight times and I couldn't help either it's serious or it's supposed to be light-hearted. I've literally laughed my butt off because of how it's used.
It sounded like a circus and I'm not sure if it's used ironically but I had two drinks. I've also questioned if it was a christmas movie.

So the repetition is because it's the couple's theme music. They literally copied that repetition straight out of the Badlands movie. It's meant to come across pure & playful to contrast them getting extremely violent. I'll give you they might of overdun it a bit by playing it so much in True Romance... but I've seen it many times & it never stuck out to me until you mentioned it.

Last edited:
Great call!

"Terrence Malick’s Badlands was one of Scott’s top five movies, and the film about a young couple who go on a killing spree was a big influence on Scott for True Romance. He asked the film’s composer Hans Zimmer to use the theme in Badlands as a reference to his theme for Clarence and Alabama here. “I didn’t have any qualms for wanting to pay homage to that film,” says Scott. He notes it reflects Alabama’s child-like innocence extremely well.

<WellThere>

I'm still not 100% convinced that there wasn't a convo about it between Scott & Tarantino about the couple's theme music & I'm not just talking out my ass because the whole film's "general structure"... is basically modeled after Badlands & so it very well could've been a suggestion from Taranino man to man. (not in the script)

That said... at 34:00 or so of Quenton's "in movie commentary"... he says that only that one song playing at that time was the only one of his music cues that he offered in his script that made it to the final movie & he declares that Scott picked his own music. So I'm putting it to rest that Quenton might of suggested that Badlands track even though I see a hair of possibility otherwise.

I just did a Badlands & True Romance marathon today. Very similar "general" structure. The commentary by the girl in both movies is not only common, but has a similar tone & feel. Scott obviously understood the connection & purposefully emulated the iconic film. The obvious main similarity is that they're a couple in love who go on a killing spree.

Though the general plot is the same... they do have their own unique stories to tell... & obviously the more modern of the 2 is much faster paced with much more going on... but still the template was followed in so many ways that it could legit be named Badlands 2, especially with them sharing the same theme music for the chaotic couple in both. So I didn't think it was a stretch that Quenton might had mentioned the music track... but it appears he didn't.
<Fedor23>

I'm definitely loving the title True Romance... but for sure it's practically a sequel. Might of even been fun to make one or the other the grandkid of the Badlands couple. Except that they supposedly didn't hook up... but whatevz. :rolleyes:

Here'z a fun dig into those 2 "main character themes"... & spoiler alert... there's a surprise there you might not expect!
<DCWhoa>

If you want to hear how similar the tracks from Badlands & True Romance are... check out the following 2 videos.

Carl Orff - Gassnhauer (From the Badlands movie)

"Your So Cool" by Hans Zimmer (True Romance)

The plot thickenz :eek:... & this has been quite the topic of discussion across social media that Hanz Zimmer ripped off Carl Orff. However, it's actually credited to Orff's long time collaborator Gunlid Keetman.

The plot thickens further
:eek::eek: because Keetman ripped off the composition "Gassenhauer Nach Hans" by Hans Neusidler composed in the year 1536 for the Lute. Originally transposed for his music education system called Orff Schulwerk... Keetman's colleague Orff took the liberty of using his transcription to make Badlands.

So anyone saying that Zimmerman ripped off either Orff or Keetman, don't know what they're talking about. (& there's a lot of people out there saying that) They all ripped off my man Neusidler. o_O (that's the unexpected surprise I told you about.)

In 1970 Keetman's transcription & subsiquent recording was the theme for the radio show "Gassenhauer. Once Orff used it in Badlands (1973), an entire string of cinematic uses followed which include True Romance (1993) (cover version by Hans Zimmer), Ratcatcher (1999), Finding Forrester (2000), Monster (2003), Michael Moore's Capitalism: A Love Story (2009) and The Simpsons′ 22nd-season episode "The Scorpion's Tale" (2011).
<escalate99>

Who knew your question about the movies theme ran so deep!!! :D

So the repetition is because it's the couple's theme music. They literally copied that repetition straight out of the Badlands movie. It's meant to come across pure & playful to contrast them getting extremely violent. I'll give you they might of overdun it a bit by playing it so much in True Romance... but I've seen it many times & it never stuck out to me until you mentioned it.

Thank you for this, I would've listened to the commentary (which I still will) but this solves the creative situation we've been discussing with our opinions although I have to say that I am surprised about the main theme being similar to badlands but at the same time it's similar to how Reservoir dogs was made. even though I haven't seen City on fire yet, I do see how it's similar but I like to think of it as more influenced or heavily inspired from that plot to create something original. Not everything is original but I can see how it's been done through their own creativity. even if it is a rip-off, It's obvious Tarantino steals from other movies. He even said it himself, that's the whole ideal to His movies. He uses a technique to take multiple movies to make one movie, the greatest example of that is Pulp Fiction, you had no idea how many scenes were stolen from the flick. You had a scene from Psycho, you had a scene from The Warriors. but He used them in a way that's beautiful, that's more a homage than stealing because that's how much He loves movies. The kind of stuff you see questions originality.

Thank you for this, I would've listened to the commentary (which I still will) but this solves the creative situation we've been discussing with our opinions although I have to say that I am surprised about the main theme being similar to badlands but at the same time it's similar to how Reservoir dogs was made. even though I haven't seen City on fire yet, I do see how it's similar but I like to think of it as more influenced or heavily inspired from that plot to create something original. Not everything is original but I can see how it's been done through their own creativity. even if it is a rip-off, It's obvious Tarantino steals from other movies. He even said it himself, that's the whole ideal to His movies. He uses a technique to take multiple movies to make one movie, the greatest example of that is Pulp Fiction, you had no idea how many scenes were stolen from the flick. You had a scene from Psycho, you had a scene from The Warriors. but He used them in a way that's beautiful, that's more a homage than stealing because that's how much He loves movies. The kind of stuff you see questions originality.

Well said... there's a fine line there & on the real.... as long as I'm not too distracted by it as a viewer... that's more of an issue for the courts & any unhappy artists who feel they've been wronged to hash out, & meanwhile I get a bunch of cool shit to watch. It's tricky business. The black eyed peas "borrow" from a lot of sources. (some of which I'm sure they'd have to buy since it's straight up exact...) but I still enjoy a lot of their music & a lot of it does have some originality.

contrast that by some of the court cases that have been won. Credance Clearwater Revival sued once front man John Fogerty for "The Old Man Lives Down the Road." It was too much like "Run through the Jungle" & so the band won & Fogerty had to pony up a cut to the fellaz.

Now that said... no fooking way Orff or Keetman is going to sue Zimmerman for swiping a track that they swiped to begin with. Obviously that's public domain at this point. Anywhooo... it was fun getting into it & learning all this stuff, & also taking in both movies & even listening to Quentin's commentary throughout True Romance. Spoiler, he's mostly talking about how his career went at the start... which is really cool. Then he breaks off every now & then & gives tidbits about a certain part of the movie... & then gets back to speaking about his career.

It's fun that he didn't have a pot to piss in (his tax refund check was his biggest sum of money he'd gotten prior... lol) but he turned down money for someone else to direct Resevoir dogs. he said after his True Romance money came in, that would give him 20k to make Resevoir Dogs. Both movies flopped at the US box-office while he was in pre-production for pulp fiction... & he just thought "well, that's my nitch.... I'll be the rogue cult classics guy that never makes any money." Then those 2 movies did 3X the value over seas & Pulp fiction was a huge success. Great success story.

Well said... there's a fine line there & on the real.... as long as I'm not too distracted by it as a viewer... that's more of an issue for the courts & any unhappy artists who feel they've been wronged to hash out, & meanwhile I get a bunch of cool shit to watch. It's tricky business. The black eyed peas "borrow" from a lot of sources. (some of which I'm sure they'd have to buy since it's straight up exact...) but I still enjoy a lot of their music & a lot of it does have some originality.

contrast that by some of the court cases that have been won. Credance Clearwater Revival sued once front man John Fogerty for "The Old Man Lives Down the Road." It was too much like "Run through the Jungle" & so the band won & Fogerty had to pony up a cut to the fellaz.

Now that said... no fooking way Orff or Keetman is going to sue Zimmerman for swiping a track that they swiped to begin with. Obviously that's public domain at this point. Anywhooo... it was fun getting into it & learning all this stuff, & also taking in both movies & even listening to Quentin's commentary throughout True Romance. Spoiler, he's mostly talking about how his career went at the start... which is really cool. Then he breaks off every now & then & gives tidbits about a certain part of the movie... & then gets back to speaking about his career.

It's fun that he didn't have a pot to piss in (his tax refund check was his biggest sum of money he'd gotten prior... lol) but he turned down money for someone else to direct Resevoir dogs. he said after his True Romance money came in, that would give him 20k to make Resevoir Dogs. Both movies flopped at the US box-office while he was in pre-production for pulp fiction... & he just thought "well, that's my nitch.... I'll be the rogue cult classics guy that never makes any money." Then those 2 movies did 3X the value over seas & Pulp fiction was a huge success. Great success story.

Well, I'm glad to be talking this stuff with ya, it's been fun having this kind of conversation.

Back