Media Israel Adesanya believes Jan Blachowicz is being underestimated

Cliffs

Hasn't changed in his training in anyway for his LHW bout
Thinks Jan is good fighting forwards but is bad going backyards
He says he noticed felt a difference in power when he has fought up at higher weight classes
Says higher weight classes are notably slower
Staying the same weight; Can make 185 next week if he had to
Still keeping the same routine; Eating healthily and going to sauna; Only difference is that he will drink water
Excited for his teammate being on the card
Doesn't believe that he has reached his peak
He reminds us that no one has seen his ground skills yet; Wants to choke someone out in a fight
Confirms that he would never fight Kamaru because of African bond; Mentions Ngannou as well
He believes follow fighters are overlooking Jan but says that he is taking Jan very seriously

I was looking at Eugene Bareman, explaining how all Izzy losses have been against fighters that were bigger. He said, when your use to being as tall or taller, then it all gets taken away, it can prove difficult. He said that is what they are up against with Jan. But most MMA fighters keep saying Izzy will win but with Jan having to press it on him to win. So if Izzy can stay on the outside with control its a win in their eyes. But Jan does have power.

I thought that about Jon Jones, when he fought Gus the first time. Gus was in his range of height. The thing is, like Dan Hooker said, since, Gustlum fight it seems a developed Izzy has occurred. I think Izzy is in
Anderson is a WW and MW champion. At MW he was often taking on bigger dudes than him on the juice. He also took on a LHW one fight removed from being champ and KOed him. And on LHW and HW champ Daniel Cormier in short notice.

Not enough to be called a fighter by this sherbro

I heard Anderson normal weight when not cutting weight was 220 something...I think 228

Izzy can fight fight both forward and backwards pretty well. We may see Izzy can coming forward more than usual
Not sure Izzy coming forward would be enough to force Jan backwards though

Reactions: 7th
Haters have to respect his willingness to fight and move up. Anderson, I thought should have moved up to make great fights. He could have. But Izzy is a fighter...good to watch him.

This is Sherdog. Nobody is respecting shit. If he just stayed at MW they'd say he was scared to challenge himself but now he moved up they'll just hope he gets knocked out so they can say he was never any good in the first place.

Thats how this place works.

What Glory fights are you talking about?

He was really effective at pressuring Thomas and Belgaroui when he chose to in that tournament that he won to fight for the title.
Thomas fight he was fighting off the backfoot till he got the kd. Izzy did pressure Belgaroui but he didnt look as comfortable and Yousri was fairly inexperienced when they fought. I still have yet to see him do it in the ufc effectively, and I dont buy hes as comfortable doing it.

Not sure Izzy coming forward would be enough to force Jan backwards though

Izzy never fights forward, he strikes when he sees an opening or slips/counters, and from what I've seen he never fights in the pocket. He is dam near impossible to hit going backward and his head movement is elite boxer tier, if Jan goes at him like he did Reyes Jan gets picked apart, the only success I could see Jan having are his body kicks.

Reading your cliffs instead of watching/listening to him say it makes it seem much more tolerable. His head seems to be in the right spot.
I thought the exact same thing. No way id watch him talk but I’ll read the cliffs.
Thanks OP

Izzy can fight fight both forward and backwards pretty well. We may see Izzy can coming forward more than usual
He’ll fight planted or on his heels this fight. Moving forward would give the bigger stronger man a better chance of clenching or taking him down, which is the only realistic way I see Izzy losing this fight

You can tell he has absolutely no respect for Jans game and is not taking him seriously if he is talking about grappling with him.

I don't believe Izzy would under any circumstance do anything but fight like hell to get back to his feet immediately if the fight hit the ground because if Jan passes guard Izzy is going to sleep.

I don't even think Jan would try ground and pound, his weight will be enough to keep Izzy on the ground, and from there it is a matter of how not if; given ample time on the clock remains.

Cliffs

Hasn't changed in his training in anyway for his LHW bout
Thinks Jan is good fighting forwards but is bad going backyards
He says he noticed felt a difference in power when he has fought up at higher weight classes
Says higher weight classes are notably slower
Staying the same weight; Can make 185 next week if he had to
Still keeping the same routine; Eating healthily and going to sauna; Only difference is that he will drink water
Excited for his teammate being on the card
Doesn't believe that he has reached his peak
He reminds us that no one has seen his ground skills yet; Wants to choke someone out in a fight
Confirms that he would never fight Kamaru because of African bond; Mentions Ngannou as well
He believes follow fighters are overlooking Jan but says that he is taking Jan very seriously

Reyes should take notes

I heard Anderson normal weight when not cutting weight was 220 something...I think 228

Normal weight - I guess you mean walk-around weight - doesn't mean much tbh

A guy that late in his 20s is able to make WW and never has a problem making 185 is not a big MW.
How much does he balloon up between fights eating burguer king or whatever does not tell much imo

What fight has he pressured someone in? I feel like we havent really seen it, unless he has someone hurt.

He pressured people frequently in his kickboxing fights

Still seems like a fair question. It’s also a two-way street. If Izzy likes to counter and Jan like to come forward, that means it’s a tricky matchup for Jan too.

I’m interested in a lot of aspects of this fight. Will Izzy really not gain any weight, and if so will he have a notable advantage in speed and/or deficiency in power? Will Jan execute a gameplan or will he get caught staring in the mirror like guys used to do against Anderson (and like PC did against Izzy)?

Fun fight. Not quite a super fight, with Jan essentially being a placeholder champ (at least right now) with no defenses. But it’s still a fun matchup, the likes I wish we saw more of. If Izzy gets overpowered we’ll all wonder if not gaining weight was a mistake, so maybe in a few years he’ll do it again. At the same time, this is an amazing opportunity for Jan to put himself on the map and become something of a big star.

I'd rather be underestimated like Jan than overestimated like Israel going up in class against a determined champ. I'm trying hard to really like Izzy the man, but I'm cool for now liking him as the fighter just not in this fight Polish Power!

Israel acts like hes this hardore anime fan but he always wears merch for the most entry level shit like naruto and DBZ lol
and? those are iconic. what you want him to wear a zoids hoodie or something?

Israel acts like hes this hardore anime fan but he always wears merch for the most entry level shit like naruto and DBZ lol

Izzy is like a female "gamer" who plays Candy Crush.

Last edited:
Why yikes? What is the issue?

Not my comment, but he’s probably referring to the casual expression of such a strong in-group preference.

Personally choose to view the comment as, “it would be good for the development of MMA in the continent if two fighters who represent an African country hold belts.”

As opposed to, “I automatically root for people with the same ethnic background as me,” which would be considered a bit cringe at best if it was said by most fighters.

For example, if Stipe said, “I’d never fight Jan, we may live on opposite sides of the world but both of our parents were born in Europe, so that’s a non-starter,” most people would find that very odd.

Given that there are very few UFC fighters repping African nations and practically none who are actually living and training there currently, I don’t have any problem with them making their background a bigger deal than most fighters do.

I’m guessing that’s the root of the comment though — the comment is at least in the neighborhood of the kind of comment that a lot of people would have a problem with.

Back