Its official! Sambo is now an Olympic sport!

What is difference between Sambo and Freestyle Wrestling?

As the title says, today IOC fully accepted Sambo as an Olympic sport!
A big THANK YOU to everyone who worked for this to become a reality!
https://sambo.sport/en/news/mezhdun...Gw62YpIe1ZZWE6KWE6xqyEBKlrB0EsVGVwAuhhyFDuo9o
I hope it improves sambo and doesn’t make it like judo where aspects of it are lost or watered down due to other countries doing well because of their wrestling background. I’m sure judo has improved in terms of upper body throws but their newaza and single and double legs have been affected.

I hope it improves sambo and doesn’t make it like judo where aspects of it are lost or watered down due to other countries doing well because of their wrestling background. I’m sure judo has improved in terms of upper body throws but their newaza and single and double legs have been affected.

Sambo will be watered down a bit me thinks. Even wrestling rules have changed to become "tv" friendly.

I hope they bring back pankration. That’s kind of close to combat sambo and mma. The good thing about pankrationnos that bjj, mma and other arts can compete in it

Pankration (like nogi grappling) is recognised by UWW the international wrestling federation so... nothing is impossible.

Kickboxing and other 5 sports are accepted but this doesn’t guarantee they will become a part of the next Olympic editions....

Pankration (like nogi grappling) is recognised by UWW the international wrestling federation so... nothing is impossible.

Kickboxing and other 5 sports are accepted but this doesn’t guarantee they will become a part of the next Olympic editions....
That’s true. I meant bring it back to the olympics. I would for sure watch it

So both Sport and Combat Sambo, I know they made changes to Karate's clinch to stop it from looking too much like Judo. Sport Sambo is very similar to Judo hopefully they don't water it down to something totally different. Wonder how long of a process it is from being an IOC sport to actually being in the Olympics. Either way good news really like Sambo especially Sport Sambo.

Sambo will be watered down a bit me thinks. Even wrestling rules have changed to become "tv" friendly.
FIAS has modelled current Sambo rule set on spectators POV.
This is the optimum TV friendly version of the sport.

Sambo will be in Paris 2024

Oh so it's not just theory anymore. Good stuff.
I wonder if one other grappling art will leave at some point, between judo/freestyle/greco, because it is starting to be a lot of grappling for the viewers.
I can't imagine judo ever leaving because it is the most common international combat sport. Freestyle is not leaving either. Not sure about the future of Greco though.

FIAS has modelled current Sambo rule set on spectators POV.
This is the optimum TV friendly version of the sport.

I agree that the combat sambo on that FIAS feed on YT is super viewer friendly, fast paced, spectacular and importantly, easy to understand.

Very good. With Sambo, Judo, Freestyle & Greco-Roman Wrestling we now at least have some proper sports in the olympics.

Oh so it's not just theory anymore. Good stuff.
I wonder if one other grappling art will leave at some point, between judo/freestyle/greco, because it is starting to be a lot of grappling for the viewers.
I can't imagine judo ever leaving because it is the most common international combat sport. Freestyle is not leaving either. Not sure about the future of Greco though.
It has never been a theory, but a goal, set and followed through step by step.

Greco most probably will be replaced by UWW Grappling at some point.

The rest will stay as it is.

I hope they bring back pankration. That’s kind of close to combat sambo and mma. The good thing about pankrationnos that bjj, mma and other arts can compete in it
MMA and any mixed fight styles have proven low viewership ratings, so its highly unlikely Pankration, MMA or anything similar, to make it into IOC.

Back