Joanna got one more fight in her UFC contract, wants BIG money to re-sign

Khabib didn't use the threat of free agency to get his new deal. He was under the champion's clause still. He hadn't even gotten to the point where a champion's clause would kick in, unless the Iaquinta fight was the last fight on his contract (which seems doubtful for several reasons). Khabib got his pay so high mostly because of the Mcgregor fight and the UFC's Middle East expansion. I don't have any hard info, but if I was spitballing, I would guess that it was just the UFC and Khabib negotiating, and that negotiations between Khabib, Ali, the UFC/WME and Abu Dhabi/Middle East broadcast partners were all connected and that Khabib was supposed to be the face of the UFC's expansion into the ME.

I'm not making stuff up Ali Abdelaziz said thats how he did it

Here is a timestapped video at 8:53 where Ali Abdelaziz tells the story of how he was able to get Khabib such a huge deal. He says he was able to leverage the UFC because Khabib only had 2 fights left on his deal. Unless you think he is lying, he used the threat of free agency to get Khabib a big payday

Here is a timestapped video at 8:53 where Ali Abdelaziz tells the story of how he was able to get Khabib such a huge deal. He says he was able to leverage the UFC because Khabib only had 2 fights left on his deal. Unless you think he is lying, he used the threat of free agency to get Khabib a big payday

Well, it's Ali, I wouldn't exactly take everything he says as gospel truth. Case in point, he starts by saying everyone who fights Conor makes 10 million...which is just not accurate. I believe that Khabib had 2 fights on his deal, but it's pretty much guaranteed that Khabib hadn't tripped the champion's clause yet. Also, maybe I missed it, but Ali doesn't mention free agency at all.

Ali's narrative (which, I mean this with no shade, makes him look like a genius agent and gives him reason to shade the truth) would mean that the UFC wasn't going to exercise the champion's clause. That seems extremely out of character given how the UFC operates. Like I said, I think it was more a matter of all parties wanting Khabib to lead the UFC's ME expansion that gave Khabib more leverage. I doubt the UFC gets the same site fees they got if they didn't promise Abu Dhabi that Khabib would headline a Fight Island card or two.

There is no threat of free agency for a champion. The UFC contracts let the promotion indefinitely extend the contract so long as the champ holds the title, and we saw that they spent six months refusing to strip Khabib of the title after he said he was done with the sport.

Go check out Randy Couture's legal battle against Zuffa when he tried to jump ship and fight Fedor.

Ali's narrative (which, I mean this with no shade, makes him look like a genius agent and gives him reason to shade the truth) would mean that the UFC wasn't going to exercise the champion's clause. That seems extremely out of character given how the UFC operates. Like I said, I think it was more a matter of all parties wanting Khabib to lead the UFC's ME expansion that gave Khabib more leverage. I doubt the UFC gets the same site fees they got if they didn't promise Abu Dhabi that Khabib would headline a Fight Island card or two.

I believe Ali deserves the benefit of the doubt. He seems to go above and beyond for his fighters. A lot of his guys treat him like family--got to be reason for that.

SPECULATION--I would imagine that the Championship clause is something that UFC may not want to use unless it's an absolute last resort. They have never invoked it before in the history of the company.

There is no threat of free agency for a champion. The UFC contracts let the promotion indefinitely extend the contract so long as the champ holds the title, and we saw that they spent six months refusing to strip Khabib of the title after he said he was done with the sport.

Go check out Randy Couture's legal battle against Zuffa when he tried to jump ship and fight Fedor.

Championship Clause doesn't extend the contract indefinitely. It has a 12 month or 3 fight limit. And it has never been invoked before in the history of the company.

Randy's lawsuit had nothing to do with the championship clause. He had 11 breaches of contract and 2 fights left on his deal that he didn't complete.

I believe Ali deserves the benefit of the doubt.
He lied immediately in the clip you posted when he says fighting Conor gets fighter 10 million, which is laughably non-truthful. So not off to a great start. And like I said, I won't knock him for it, but he has an interest in telling the story the way he tells it.
He seems to go above and beyond for his fighters. A lot of his guys treat him like family--got to be reason for that.
I do agree he takes care of some is fighters, likely through non-UFC revenue (Kadyrov, etc). But there is no way he isn't screwing over some of his fighters. You can't be the UFC's favorite agent and also fulfill your fiduciary obligations to fighters. Not to mention he testified in the UFC lawsuit that keeping pay private helps fighters negotiate...which is absolute bullshit. Public payouts helps athlete pay in sports, that's why athlete pay is often public in U.S. sports. Bottom line, he's in the UFC's pocket far more than an agent should be.
SPECULATION--I would imagine that the Championship clause is something that UFC may not want to use unless it's an absolute last resort. They have never invoked it before in the history of the company.
I imagine it's possible that it's been invoked (Epstein said it hadn't been used in 2013), but I agree no champion has likely gotten to that point. Having said that, the champion's clause doesn't need to be invoked to hurt fighters. It works just by existing: if I'm a champion, I got to weigh whether I can fight rack up 3 more title defenses before maybe getting to free agency or just take whatever I can get right away. That's the champion clause already working.

Championship Clause doesn't extend the contract indefinitely. It has a 12 month or 3 fight limit.
Do you think that it extends indefinitely? As in, long as you keep winning you keep extending the clause automatically? Because while one would assume it's a one-time extension, it also is ambiguous and doesn't say it's a one-time extension, and given we are talking about the UFC/Bellator here.

I’m all for JJ a getting big paydays but it only makes sense if she is willing to be fight girls ranked below her. Can’t demand non-stop titles
I think they can come to a deal

She wants big money to re-sign?

Well I want a Ferrari and a Lamborghini and harem of super-models to fuck every day.
Doesn't mean I'm gonna get it.

Hey....Joanna....last 4 title-fights : YOU HAVE LOST THEM ALL!
so remember that!

I hope UFC kicks her to the curb. Became an entitled arrogant fighter, please fuck off.
Hahahahahaha

What a pathetic loser you are.

Delusional. Stay retired. She doesn't deserve more money for getting her ass kicked in 4 out of her last 6 fights. Look at who her wins are, Waterson and Torres? She can't even hang in the UFC. She should fight a can and run to Bellator.

And to be clear, she doesn't deserve a rematch with Rose or Weili.

Yeah she has lost a lot of bargaining ability with the 4 losses in 6. She is a long way from the once dominant champ.

The UFC won't break the bank to sign her. I am sure they will make her an offer but will be happy to move on if she doesn't accept.

He lied immediately in the clip you posted when he says fighting Conor gets fighter 10 million, which is laughably non-truthful. So not off to a great start. And like I said, I won't knock him for it, but he has an interest in telling the story the way he tells it.

Sounded like a bit hyperbole of to me rather than a lie intended to deceive.

I do agree he takes care of some is fighters, likely through non-UFC revenue (Kadyrov, etc). But there is no way he isn't screwing over some of his fighters. You can't be the UFC's favorite agent and also fulfill your fiduciary obligations to fighters. Not to mention he testified in the UFC lawsuit that keeping pay private helps fighters negotiate...which is absolute bullshit. Public payouts helps athlete pay in sports, that's why athlete pay is often public in U.S. sports. Bottom line, he's in the UFC's pocket far more than an agent should be

This seems like a case of you treating your cynicism as fact.

Do you think that it extends indefinitely? As in, long as you keep winning you keep extending the clause automatically? Because while one would assume it's a one-time extension, it also is ambiguous and doesn't say it's a one-time extension, and given we are talking about the UFC/Bellator here.

If it ever got to the point where the clause would have to be legally interpreted. I 100% guarantee you that no court in America would uphold a indefinitely extending clause.

Joanna is still top tier and the UFC should do everything possible to resign her. She always puts on entertaining fights. However, she needs to pick up at least a pair of top wins before she is given another title shot. I'm a Joanna J fan, and I think this is fair.

Jarl

Makes sense to me. She's been a great champion, put on great fights and has proven herself to be a very great fighter. She's earned and enjoyed her glory.

There isn't much more for Joanna to gain through her MMA journey.

If she can live comfortably without MMA, its time to move on and not get punched in the face.

If UFC needs her to test some young talent, she would have no other motivation besides good money.

I think she can.
After the Weili fight she signed a sponsor deal with Puma.
And with the money she have made over the years, if she been smart.
What ever she chooses I wish her luck.

Sounded like a bit hyperbole of to me rather than a lie intended to deceive.
Like I said, he's telling a story that makes him look like a genius businessman. I'd take it with a grain a salt.
This seems like a case of you treating your cynicism as fact.
It's not my cynicism. Only one agent/manager testified in the UFC's defense for the lawsuit, and that was Ali. If an agent is effectively arguing in court that their clients are paid enough, then that agent is fucking over their clients. Period.
If it ever got to the point where the clause would have to be legally interpreted. I 100% guarantee you that no court in America would uphold a indefinitely extending clause.
Yeah I agree. Unfortunately, not a lot of fighters with the resources for that kind of litigation, and even fewer who are wiling to risk their careers like that.

Back