Joe Bourbon’s Basement Pub – A Sanctuary for All Lifters

I'm enjoying life currently. Work is going well but not overly stressful, training is going great, the dog has kind of taken my relationship to a slightly different level and I'm testing the waters with a coffee-centered IG-account for clout and free beans in 2028 or something like that.

How are we all doing pub?

I've let training this week hit the shits as I shift house. It's hard enough fitting it in around fulltime work + training others, but this week with extra packing, unpacking, cleaning, and procuring new furniture it's become bloody impossible.
I hear ya kiwi!

I have a really good balance going on at the moment - plenty of work but nothing too strenuous, money coming in, lots of time to train, plenty of time with my wife, and am still around enough to take my boys to their various activities.

I hear ya kiwi!

I have a really good balance going on at the moment - plenty of work but nothing too strenuous, money coming in, lots of time to train, plenty of time with my wife, and am still around enough to take my boys to their various activities.

That sounds like a pretty ideal balance. Hoping to get things aligned a bit better soon as I'm done with shifting places!

I'm enjoying life currently. Work is going well but not overly stressful, training is going great, the dog has kind of taken my relationship to a slightly different level and I'm testing the waters with a coffee-centered IG-account for clout and free beans in 2028 or something like that.

Coffee gram? Sounds ideal. Every now and then I consider trying to be more active on social media, but then I remember, I just don't care about posting. It can be a lot of work. Got a favourite way to have your coffee at home?

Coffee gram? Sounds ideal. Every now and then I consider trying to be more active on social media, but then I remember, I just don't care about posting. It can be a lot of work. Got a favourite way to have your coffee at home?
It's odd how serious one needs to take social media in order to, theoretically, make it work. I'll give it a shot for some time, maybe I lose interest, maybe I'll get to be an influencer and act like a VIP whenever I enter a café.
My current favorite coffee at home comes through my Kalita Wave, the most reliable hand filter for me. I recently got my hands on a high-end hand grinder and the improved grind conformity really makes a big difference.

I recently got my hands on a high-end hand grinder and the improved grind conformity really makes a big difference.

Nice. This is something I'd be interested in experimenting with - seeing what difference it makes grinding my own beans, especially as one of my favourites only comes as whole beans.
I mainly just make my coffee with a moka pot on the stovetop in the mornings. Works well, and great for taking away with us when we go on holidays as well.

I got a moka pot for my birthday yesterday and have been playing around with it a few times now. It's crazy how much better the brews can be.
A moka pot was my first ever coffeemaker at home and was used a lot, but oh boy, was the coffee terrible. Now, with better beans freshly ground and after binge-watching the James Hoffmann-videos on the moka pot the coffee is quite nice and aromatic.

My current favorite coffee at home comes through my Kalita Wave, the most reliable hand filter for me. I recently got my hands on a high-end hand grinder and the improved grind conformity really makes a big difference.
Nice. I'm a V60 man. Just bought a Clever Dripper too, but haven't tried it out yet.

Are you roasting your own beans?

I got a moka pot for my birthday yesterday and have been playing around with it a few times now.
after binge-watching the James Hoffmann-videos on the moka pot the coffee is quite nice and aromatic.
Good timing since he just did those Moka Pot videos a couple weeks ago!

Nice. I'm a V60 man. Just bought a Clever Dripper too, but haven't tried it out yet.

Are you roasting your own beans?
I don't roast my own beans currently, but I'd love to try it out at some point.
I started out with the V60 but prefer the Kalita Wave as the brews are just a little more stable. And the last pack of V60-filters is from the Dutch factory they have and they drain awfully slow. I hate it.
Let me know how you like the Clever Brew once you tried it!

I don't roast my own beans currently, but I'd love to try it out at some point.
I started out with the V60 but prefer the Kalita Wave as the brews are just a little more stable. And the last pack of V60-filters is from the Dutch factory they have and they drain awfully slow. I hate it.
Let me know how you like the Clever Brew once you tried it!
It takes next to nothing to start roasting. But, if you're anything like me, you'll want to upgrade immediately. I currently use a bread maker and a heat gun and do 1 lb batches (so I net about 12oz), but I'm working on upgrading to a better setup. Batch size is fine, but all of the chaff requires me to do it outside, which sucks during Wisconsin winters. So, I'm going to have a suction system and really good lighting so I can do it in the garage. The lack of cold winds will help speed things up as well.

Yeah, that's what I've read. But, realistically, I find that a lot of the very subtle differences a person can perceive aren't necessarily better or worse. They're just very slightly different.

I like the Clever Dripper enough, I guess. The idea of a filtered immersion brew appealed to me, as did the ease of cleanup (compared to a French press) and less hands-on time when brewing. But I'll probably still do pour-over more often than not. The Clever Dripper's primary use will likely be brewing while I cook breakfast on the weekends.

Do we have any Ukrainian Sherdoggers we're worried about?

'ello, pub. How's it all swinging?

Thought I'd post in here to say how chuffed I am for the two fighters I cornered on Friday night. Rosie had her first fight and absolutely crushed it- beautiful Wai Kru, good heart, and left her opponent's leg a couple shades of purple. Jackie got put through his paces properly for the first time, his opponent was tough as nails, always coming forward. Jackie used what he has well though, kept him out, and kicked him enough to win. Poor boy was in tears afterwards, just saying over and over that he wants to make us proud. Love that little space cadet.

Now you're a cunt when you heelhook white belts. Congrats
A friend of mine who trains at a different gym joined the training on the weekend and one of the blackbelts showed a straight ankle lock in the gi at some point, my friend then was like "at my gym whitebelts aren't taught leglocks"
An hour later the same blackbelt showed a lovely heelhook during the no gi-parts of the training and my friend's mind was blown. Life will never be the same.

A friend of mine who trains at a different gym joined the training on the weekend and one of the blackbelts showed a straight ankle lock in the gi at some point, my friend then was like "at my gym whitebelts aren't taught leglocks"
An hour later the same blackbelt showed a lovely heelhook during the no gi-parts of the training and my friend's mind was blown. Life will never be the same.

Like a kickboxer showing up to a Muay Thai gym that spars with elbows.

Back