Joe Bourbon’s Basement Pub – A Sanctuary for All Lifters

I just replaced my Macbook's battery and feel like straight hackerman now. I think I might be getting old...

Thanks bro.
I've missed this place. I had my reservations about coming back but I just don't get the same connection with you guys on social media.
I am not great at maintaining a social presence on social media.

I am not great at maintaining a presence here either, though.

I am not great at maintaining a social presence on social media.

I am not great at maintaining a presence here either, though.

Weird, you mean you're just invested in your real life?

Any of you folks find new hobbies or interests during COVID?

Last spring I had a lot of time to kill so I took a deep dive into Warhammer 40k-lore which is...entertaining at least.
Besides that I tried to improve my homemaking skills, especially making better coffee, taking better care of my cast iron cookware and trying to make tuna taste like it's not actually tuna.

I've been toying with the idea of getting into Warhammer
I bought a beginners guide for D&D so I can play with my 8 year old. He's getting into it, and I haven't played since 1989...

Get a kettlebell or plural bells. Struggle against age and fatness.
I actually have a set of Powerblocks that go from 10-50 lb each, just have nowhere to use them. I'm trying to get my spare bedroom cleaned up (currently full of crap from the basement because the basement was renovated in the Fall) but it has been slow with all the kids home.

Thankfully schools have reopened and my twins are now in daycare 3 days/week so today is my second day kid-free. Its glorious! I have time to work and time to do stuff around the house

I actually have a set of Powerblocks that go from 10-50 lb each, just have nowhere to use them. I'm trying to get my spare bedroom cleaned up (currently full of crap from the basement because the basement was renovated in the Fall) but it has been slow with all the kids home.

Thankfully schools have reopened and my twins are now in daycare 3 days/week so today is my second day kid-free. Its glorious! I have time to work and time to do stuff around the house

I have an interlocking mat in the middle of my living room that I have to protect the floors from the metal. Find ten minutes, you can do a lot with very little time and space. One of the worst things I did was let myself think I didn’t have time, or room, to do simple exercises.

I have an interlocking mat in the middle of my living room that I have to protect the floors from the metal. Find ten minutes, you can do a lot with very little time and space. One of the worst things I did was let myself think I didn’t have time, or room, to do simple exercises.

That is very true. I don't really have any excuse now that I have 3 days/week that all of the kids are out of the house so now is the time to get started. That's the hardest part, I'm typically a very routine guy so if I can start doing a few days/week it will just become part of my daily routine. I also can't wait for Spring so I can start running again. It will be a novel concept to run by myself instead of pushing a stroller.

My friend and I signed up for the Spartan Race last year when covid numbers were really low but then it was cancelled as numbers increased in the Fall. So we have codes for a free race this year which will be in October. Gotta get back in shape and fingers crossed that covid numbers stay down next Fall.

That is very true. I don't really have any excuse now that I have 3 days/week that all of the kids are out of the house so now is the time to get started. That's the hardest part, I'm typically a very routine guy so if I can start doing a few days/week it will just become part of my daily routine. I also can't wait for Spring so I can start running again. It will be a novel concept to run by myself instead of pushing a stroller.

My friend and I signed up for the Spartan Race last year when covid numbers were really low but then it was cancelled as numbers increased in the Fall. So we have codes for a free race this year which will be in October. Gotta get back in shape and fingers crossed that covid numbers stay down next Fall.
This is why I'm so glad I have weights at home - I know my children are older than yours, but they've been homeschooled (again) since the start of the year, so I can at least get out and lift while they are getting on with their schoolwork, and I'm still there to help as and when needed (which is often!)

Track has opened back up, so my life is pretty much back to normal. Teaching kids shit and I can lift in a great, warm, open space without freezing my hands to the bar.

Any of you folks find new hobbies or interests during COVID?
I get into new hobbies all the time, but the most recent are leatherworking and coffee roasting.

Roasting has become almost more of a chore, but one that's a labor of love. And you get good to excellent coffee for twice the price of garbage coffee, but at 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of high-end coffee. But, oddly, I've purchased more "artisanal" (locally roasted) coffee since I've started roasting beans myself. Besides wanting to support locals, I just like seeing (tasting) what others are doing.

I get into new hobbies all the time, but the most recent are leatherworking and coffee roasting.

Roasting has become almost more of a chore, but one that's a labor of love. And you get good to excellent coffee for twice the price of garbage coffee, but at 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of high-end coffee. But, oddly, I've purchased more "artisanal" (locally roasted) coffee since I've started roasting beans myself. Besides wanting to support locals, I just like seeing (tasting) what others are doing.
There's a sherdogger here who roasts coffee. He sells it under Second Breakfast Coffee...

This is why I'm so glad I have weights at home - I know my children are older than yours, but they've been homeschooled (again) since the start of the year, so I can at least get out and lift while they are getting on with their schoolwork, and I'm still there to help as and when needed (which is often!)

Here is an example of my life lately... on Friday I had a meeting from 11:00-12:30 and another at 2:30. That 11:00 meeting ended early at 11:45 so I thought, great I have lots of time to lift some weights, shower, and eat lunch before my next meeting. And then about 5 minutes later daycare messaged me to say that one of my daughters had a fever and had to be picked up. So there went the rest of my day lol

That said, I should be able to fit in 30-45 minutes a few days/week now that things are more organized. Yesterday I emptied out my storage locker and loaded everything into the garage so I considered that a workout session. I ended the day with over 18,000 steps so that's sometihng.

Anybody use an app for their training log and have a recommendation? I rarely come on Sherdog and figure there might be some good apps out there.

Anybody use an app for their training log and have a recommendation? I rarely come on Sherdog and figure there might be some good apps out there.
Fitnotes is / was good (not used it for a while) and is / was free. Does the job.

Last edited:
Back