Joe Bourbon’s Basement Pub – A Sanctuary for All Lifters

Any specific notes you're going for in your own roasts?
No, I'm trying a lot of different beans from different parts of the world just to experience what they have to offer and see what I prefer. But it's pretty interesting to see what different flavors develop at different levels of roasting with the same beans.

No, I'm trying a lot of different beans from different parts of the world just to experience what they have to offer and see what I prefer. But it's pretty interesting to see what different flavors develop at different levels of roasting with the same beans.
For sure. I got a roasting course-voucher for one of the fancy third wave roasters in town for Christmas a year ago, but couldn't go in 2020. Looking forward to that one.

Yeah, that should be neat. I hope they have you do a cupping so you can really pick up on the subtle nuances. Cupping is interesting, but weird to do as a casual roaster, IMO.

But, if you're interested in roasting, it's really as simple as buying beans. People do them in cast iron skillets on their stovetops. I've never gone that simple, but I started with an air popcorn popper. However, I didn't like that you can only do about 4 oz (110g) max at a time, so I switched to a bread machine and a heat gun. Now, I do a pound (.45 kg) at a time. Plus, I think I get better flavor development because the popcorn popper was just too hot/fast.

Not to take business from the guy here (I forget his name), but it's incredibly simple to do. Not simple to get perfect consistency with, but simple to make very good quality coffee. And, if you're not personally working with bean producers, you're just a middleman anyway.

Next time I'm in need of a hobby I'll consider it!
We went from a foot of snow to sunny weather and mild temperatures in a few days, I was actually able to do a short sprinting session outside tonight without what I'd consider winter clothing. Sprinting feels a lot better when you're a good ten kilograms lighter...

Any good resources on how to do well in the corporate world out there? Preferably something that doesn't feel like it's written by a Wolf of Wall Street-superfan. I'm fucking clueless and don't want that to ruin my career path.

Any good resources on how to do well in the corporate world out there? Preferably something that doesn't feel like it's written by a Wolf of Wall Street-superfan. I'm fucking clueless and don't want that to ruin my career path.
These may sound a little leftfield in terms of answering the question but I'm being 100% genuine, read:
Influence: Robert B. Cialdini
Thinking, Fast and Slow: Daniel Kahneman
The Black Swan: Nassim Nicholas Taleb

The corporate world is like sales (whether it is or isn't a "sales" environment per se) i.e.
Set expectations and always meet or exceed those expectations.
Look to add value where you can.
Be nice.
And fundamentally, try to make the lives easier of the people you interact with, whilst ensuring you're able to meet whatever deliverables you need to meet.

Any of you folks find new hobbies or interests during COVID?
No but my life went unchanged. Both my jobs are essential, been home gyming since 2017. Biggest change for me is having to wear a mask when out.

Cancel Culture? Fo realz? Or are both sides just bitches?

Dr. Seuss

There's a book called "The McKinsey Way" and a follow-up called "The McKinsey Mind" (I think). McKinsey rightly has received a lot of criticism over the years for some of its clients and some of the advice it has given, but they have spent decades and many millions of dollars developing ways of problem solving and communicating that work really well in a corporate context. They are all about practical ways to solve problems that work under pressure of time and when you don't have enough information, and how to communicate with senior people like CEOs who are very stressed and don't have enough time so that you can get your message across. I haven't read these books but I can tell you that the McKinsey methods are definitely really effective- they are one of the reasons that McKinsey sells 10 billion dollars of advice a year and it is the #1 preference for Harvard MBAs every year for ever. From what I gather, the books do a decent job of explaining their techniques.

That would probably be my starting point.

Other than that, I would watch some videos or take some courses on how to give a good presentation, and depending on the job, make sure you are up to intermediate level Excel. Make sure you are comfortable with stuff like VLOOKUPs, SUMIF, COUNTIF and you know what putting the $ sign in a cell reference does. Being really comfortable with Excel and being able to work quickly on big spreadsheets can turn a 10 hour task into a 1 hour task (or less) and can make you a star in your office.

There's a book called "The McKinsey Way" and a follow-up called "The McKinsey Mind" (I think). McKinsey rightly has received a lot of criticism over the years for some of its clients and some of the advice it has given, but they have spent decades and many millions of dollars developing ways of problem solving and communicating that work really well in a corporate context. They are all about practical ways to solve problems that work under pressure of time and when you don't have enough information, and how to communicate with senior people like CEOs who are very stressed and don't have enough time so that you can get your message across. I haven't read these books but I can tell you that the McKinsey methods are definitely really effective- they are one of the reasons that McKinsey sells 10 billion dollars of advice a year and it is the #1 preference for Harvard MBAs every year for ever. From what I gather, the books do a decent job of explaining their techniques.

That would probably be my starting point.

Other than that, I would watch some videos or take some courses on how to give a good presentation, and depending on the job, make sure you are up to intermediate level Excel. Make sure you are comfortable with stuff like VLOOKUPs, SUMIF, COUNTIF and you know what putting the $ sign in a cell reference does. Being really comfortable with Excel and being able to work quickly on big spreadsheets can turn a 10 hour task into a 1 hour task (or less) and can make you a star in your office.
I should probably read the McKinsey books too; in fact, I'm not even sure why I've given advice as I've had a pretty terrible week, mainly due to disconnects/fallouts with the other CxO's at my company.
Anyway, Excel skills are a great shout, although get too good and you risk becoming the go-to complex spreadsheet guy which can get annoying at times.

Also @xPINKx I've read "Your Next Five Moves: Master the Art of Business Strategy" by Patrick Bet-David since my last post which I'd recommend.

Thanks for the input guys, I'll get my hands on those books the following weeks. And amen to the Excel-skills. I'm not great with Excel, but was lucky enough to have a math teacher show us a bunch of it when I was still in school. Helps me every day.
Feels a little weird to say this, but the whole pandemic mess really helped me kickstart something that might at some point resemble a successful career. Fascinating what basic social skills, good English as 2nd language and somewhat quick comprehension can do for you.

Anybody use an app for their training log and have a recommendation? I rarely come on Sherdog and figure there might be some good apps out there.
I like fitnotes a lot. Its very customizable, can back up your logs, show graphs of a bunch of different metrics, makes note of prs, can set goals, etc.

Its just about everything I wanted in a exercise log.

Thanks Urban, I'll take a look.

So... any of y'all ever rehabbed a thumb tendon before? I severed mine a week and a half ago. Made for a dramatic finish to my career as a bar manager.

What was your treatment? Are you in a splint?

Cast comes off tomorrow, then will have a plastic splint. Treatment was just surgery, stitched it back together under local anaesthetic, which was fun to watch. Will see what they advise then, but I'm just itching to move it and start strengthening it again.

If you haven't already, you'll likely get a rehab schedule. I'd follow that.

So... any of y'all ever rehabbed a thumb tendon before? I severed mine a week and a half ago. Made for a dramatic finish to my career as a bar manager.
I have no real experience with rehabbing an injury like that, however, one often overlooked exercise for the hands are dexterity balls. They're low impact, build coordination, and are toted as being good for rehabbing and preventing lower arm injuries (though usually things like carpal tunnel). I like large ballbearings instead of the jingly ones from a mall kiosk. In my experience 2" balls are pretty manageable for most people with healthy hands, your injury may set you back a bit, but 1.5" ballbearings are a totally reasonable place to start in that case. I have 2", 3", and 4" (which are just 8lb shotputs), and I mostly use 3 3" balls or 2 4" balls while watching TV, while i only wear a size large glove and I think most men can handle the size of them, definitely think they're too heavy for your purposes right now.

1.5" and/or 2" ballbearings. Go forwards and backwards, try it with two balls or three balls, do it sitting, standing, lying down, try it with the balls touching each other constantly or not touching at all. There's a lot of variations.

Eta: get a real rehab schedule first

Cast comes off tomorrow, then will have a plastic splint. Treatment was just surgery, stitched it back together under local anaesthetic, which was fun to watch. Will see what they advise then, but I'm just itching to move it and start strengthening it again.

I did something similar as a kid. I had to get surgery twice because somehow it got refucked. My advice? Don't rush it and follow whatever they give you.

Back