John McCarthy is a terrible commentator and judge

TJ Dillashank

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I was rewatching Douglas Lima vs MVP because who doesn't like to see that guy get KTFO but at the end of round one, John Mcarthy said he scored it for MVP who spent 2/3 of the round on bottom fighting for wrist control. In the opening minute of round 2, he when on and on about how MVP staggered Lima but I rewatched it and his leg was behind Limas which tripped him. Never got wobbled.

After MVP got KTFO John went on rambling about how Douglas turned the tables and had a comeback after a low output round which he spent most of it in top control

He gives his score at 7:29

Terrible commentator no doubt, but I don't think that's too bad of a score to be honest. Lima had top control, whilst doing basically no damage, which under the modern unified rules doesn't count for anything unless nothing else happened in the round.

He's not the best ref or commentator I've seen.

But in fairness he sound alot like the other mvp fans around here.

John's voice isn't the easiest to listen to. His analysis is usually very well done. I will say most of the time he is pretty good with judgement of fights overall. No one is going to be 100% correct all the time, not too mention he isn't exactly a pro in the commentary booth so he is also concentrating on that side of things with this words.

I was rewatching Douglas Lima vs MVP because who doesn't like to see that guy get KTFO but at the end of round one, John Mcarthy said he scored it for MVP who spent 2/3 of the round on bottom fighting for wrist control. In the opening minute of round 2, he when on and on about how MVP staggered Lima but I rewatched it and his leg was behind Limas which tripped him. Never got wobbled.

After MVP got KTFO John went on rambling about how Douglas turned the tables and had a comeback after a low output round which he spent most of it in top control

He's a terrible ref and obviously zero fighting experience.

The game has passed these folks (Jhon, Herb) by, the same way it did with the glorious fighters and coaches of yore.

He isnt a great commentator but Big John is possibly the most knowledgeable MMA personality out there. The guy is a walking MMA encyclopedia with tons of inside info about the sport since the early days.

I agree- sometimes John all over the place. I've noticed he sometimes gets sidetracked with punk or whomever hes doing bcast- with and is not paying attention to fight as it deserves.
He had mousasi machida 1-1 after 2 without giving any explanation to Josh after asked. Josh doesn't say a word.

Mousasi ,clearly , won all 3 rounds ( 2 judges got it right).The 2nd round was the easiest to score as the gap in strikes/ sig strikes had the largest gap.

There have been other fights where I find myself scratching my head on his comments after a round.

Big John was right giving that round to MVP. MVP landed more shots in that round compared to Lima. Then when it went to the ground Lima only landed 2 glancing shots then MVP shut Lima down by holding his arms and not allowing Lima to throw any punches whatsoever. MVP won that round. If someone is in top position for more than 2 minutes and is only able to throw 2 punches because the guy on the bottom is holding and controlling his arms the guy on the bottom won the battle.

OP makes it seem like round 1 MVP was destroyed on the ground. Lima just barely did enough to edge it. Not going argue MVP won that round, but it was mostly a warm up round with nothing happening.

When you have to re-watch a fight - probably a few times, and in slow mo - to conclusively determine a guy may have got something wrong in real time...that doesn't exactly strengthen your argument that the judge sucks.

Back