Joint mobility imbalances

deadshot138

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Been paying more attention to how things feel when I lift lately and have noticed a discrepancy in mobility in the joints on my left and right side. For instance, when racking the bar for a back squat, my left shoulder has better mobility than my right, which leads to the bar being slightly lower on my back on that side and throws off the mechanics of the lift. Also noticed my left hip is more mobile than my right, leading to hip shift if I am not paying enough attention while lifting. I know the simple answer is probably "just stretch them both the same and eventually the lagging side will catch up" but my question is how? What are some mobility routines you guys use? Too many to choose on YT and being a noob, I'd like some tutelage on the matter from experienced people if you're willing to share. Thanks.

Not sure I would just say "find Stretches" as it could be many things causing those imbalances. One thing to consider is more unilateral movements. You should be able to see which side is weak or be able to pinpoint areas a bit more and doing more unilateral should isolate those weak areas. My sense is you would really need someone who is sharp on movement patters to break you down.

Also - for him/glute strengthening and activation, I utilize a lot of small hoop banded movements...every day before I lift and this has helped me a lot. Banded clamshells, glute bridges (can go with one leg at a time), side steps, in and outs, banded RDLs (need longer band), banded psoas march,etc...

Follow Squat University on any number of platforms or buy the book the The Squat Bible, he breaks down how to test and correct joints for mobility issues as they are generally more complicated then needing to just stretch them out. I found warmups are very valuable if you have any imbalances or mobility issues.

For some reason I thought Kelly Starrett was maligned as a hack. Is he reputable?

A lot of fair critiques of his work are out there. When he appeared on JRE a few years back I found him to somehow be more annoying than Joe. Constantly reframing parts of the discussion to make himself look right even when he and Joe totally agreed on something.

This article is interesting:

https://www.jtsstrength.com/supple-leopard-vs-world/

Last edited:
How's the powerlifting/engineering/cage fighting life going? Haven't heard from ya in awhile.

Powerlifting is going poorly. I severely tore my right internal oblique last week and was in the hospital. I've been in recovery. I thought it might be a hernia or something, so I'm fortunate that I don't need surgery.

Engineering is going great. Still making money. Working on a few certification courses (specifically state Power engineering Chief engineer certification) and have applied for a higher position in corporate.

Haven't fought in a cage in a while because COVID.

How's being a total cocksucker been for you buddy?

Powerlifting is going poorly. I severely tore my right internal oblique last week and was in the hospital. I've been in recovery. I thought it might be a hernia or something, so I'm fortunate that I don't need surgery.

Engineering is going great. Still making money. Working on a few certification courses (specifically state Power engineering Chief engineer certification) and have applied for a higher position in corporate.

Haven't fought in a cage in a while because COVID.

How's being a total cocksucker been for you buddy?
Tore your mangina huh? Sorry to hear that, hope it heals up fast!

So wait. All the shit talking between you guys was just taking the piss? Sherdog is quite the wholesome place after all.

So wait. All the shit talking between you guys was just taking the piss? Sherdog is quite the wholesome place after all.

Do you think that I genuinely harbor ill will and anger towards anonymous internet people?

I'm an asshole, but I'm not that big of an asshole.

Idk man poker wished death on someone lmao

I don't wish death on any of them. At worst maybe a mild inconvenience. Like they ordered a sandwich with no pickles, but got pickles and have to deal with the pickle juice left on the bun after they remove it. Fucking gross, but not serious.

I certainly don't wish any actual health problems. You have to be a real sociopath to feel that way.

I don't wish death on any of them. At worst maybe a mild inconvenience. Like they ordered a sandwich with no pickles, but got pickles and have to deal with the pickle juice left on the bun after they remove it. Fucking gross, but not serious.

I certainly don't wish any actual health problems. You have to be a real sociopath to feel that way.

That's a win for me. I like the pickle juice taste. I just don't like the texture of pickles on a hamburger.

That's a win for me. I like the pickle juice taste. I just don't like the texture of pickles on a hamburger.

giphy.gif

Pickles are fucking disgusting. I consider a sandwich ruined when they are found on one errantly.

If the bun is thick enough I'll cut the infected bread away, but generally I'll just throw it out.

Then how do you stop the night troll who cast charley horses upon calf muscles?

That sounds like fat person problems. Try losing a few pounds and letting them poor calves catch a break every now and then.

Pickles landed me in the hospital once.

Back