Media Jose Aldo soccer kicks a dude unconscious in his fourth pro fight

He's the best with them. Soccer kicks are kind of necessary to not give the grappling style every advantage. To balance out the Colby style.

It's why a lot of guys in Pride went for clinch trips. They make the sport more tactical and more realistic. Fail a shot and get the boot. Otherwise can just shoot 10 times without getting punished for them. Or butt scoot. Or play the knee to ground game. Soccer kicks/stomps change a lot of things, pretty much all for the better.

It's just...this is about TV optics. Imagining reception. That's not real.

Last edited:
Thats totally crap. Pride had them for all those years and no serious injuries. I think a broken socket was worst??? Which many guys have gotten from punches or elbows. Elbows should be out and soccer in imo cause they can end a fight on a cut when the guy is fine and willing to fight. It happens way too much. A cut where the guys blood makes Dr checks " for safety of the fighter" that end fight.
Wandy and Shogun threw many a soccer kick in the day. Guys know how to turtle. If a food ref is there a fighter will not get soccer kicked when unable to defend. It is a fight....thats relative in a real fight. Happens way more than someone elbowing a guy in a street fight. As real as it gets should have always allowed them.
Yes, Pride never had any serious injuries but all it takes is one shot, Romero stomping on Weidman after flying kneeing him would've probably killed him and we don't need to see something like that.

Of course it does. If you miss with a soccer kick,you can be taken down,so better be accurate with them

They shouldnt be banned either. The referee though should def learn to stop fights when they are over though.
I can't recall anyone being taken down after missing a potential soccer kick/stomp. I remember how fucked up Roger Huerta was after receiving one, that could've went horrible so easily.
roger-huerta-soccer-kick.gif

I can't recall anyone being taken down after missing a potential soccer kick/stomp. I remember how fucked up Roger Huerta was after receiving one, that could've went horrible so easily.
roger-huerta-soccer-kick.gif
Well ive seen it.

Yoshida almost submitted Wanderlei off a missed stomp. If you allow these moves to become commonplace,then fighters will learn how to avoid it. Its just how it goes. No move is really "unfair"

I would just say as a sport not to allow headbutts as it will just be too easy to cause cuts,even more easy than elbows.

Well ive seen it.

Yoshida almost submitted Wanderlei off a missed stomp. If you allow these moves to become commonplace,then fighters will learn how to avoid it. Its just how it goes. No move is really "unfair"

I would just say as a sport not to allow headbutts as it will just be too easy to cause cuts,even more easy than elbows.
I think headbutts could be bad as well but if I had to choose to see one of them allowed I'd probably go with the headbutts just so the inadvertent clash of heads wouldn't halt the action. That's just me though.

I think headbutts could be bad as well but if I had to choose to see one of them allowed I'd probably go with the headbutts just so the inadvertent clash of heads wouldn't halt the action. That's just me though.
Nah you get a coleman wrestler with top control,its just too much of a mess. Wrestlers already have advantage of being able to dictate the match. Headbutts is too much. Stomps can be avoided,soccer kicks can be ducked ala sakuraba. Just like people who whined about oblique kicks and calf kicks but those can also be countered or avoided. In Pride you can see it. Dont fall into the hysteria.

Nah you get a coleman wrestler with top control,its just too much of a mess. Wrestlers already have advantage of being able to dictate the match. Headbutts is too much. Stomps can be avoided,soccer kicks can be ducked ala sakuraba. Just like people who whined about oblique kicks and calf kicks but those can also be countered or avoided. In Pride you can see it. Dont fall into the hysteria.
I've never had a problem with kicks to the obliques or calf, that was always one thing I found funny that people would get up in arms over those being banned but then they want to see heads getting stomped in or necks potentially getting broke from soccer kicks. Luckily we haven't seen a wrestler like a prime Coleman in quite some time and I doubt we ever will again, the amount of extra vitamins he had pulsing in his body.

Reactions: HHJ
I've never had a problem with kicks to the obliques or calf, that was always one thing I found funny that people would get up in arms over those being banned but then they want to see heads getting stomped in or necks potentially getting broke from soccer kicks. Luckily we haven't seen a wrestler like a prime Coleman in quite some time and I doubt we ever will again, the amount of extra vitamins he had pulsing in his body.
Pride allowed these the whole time and we never saw some thing so serious as what your talking about

Pride allowed these the whole time and we never saw some thing so serious as what your talking about
I know, I've acknowledged that a few times already but all it would take is one serious injury for everything to go sideways. I could post gifs of street fights where a neck looks like it's made of taffy after taking a kick but I think I'd catch trouble, that's basically why I'm against them.

its MMA, só in my opinion any martial art move should be allowed (except fatal ones).
Soccer kicks, headbutts, etc. Theres a ref out there to stop them if it goes too far
Some pussies are scared of soccer kicks. I Will tell you what, its "better" for fighters health to eat one soccer kick and lose than eating 20 gnp hellbows to your face

Leghump and cage exploit needs to be removed at any cost. Its ruining the sport.

"This video is not sped up. Look at how fast an 18 year old Jose Aldo was."

What? Fucking cringe.

Why would anyone think the video was sped up, lmao. Guy tweeting that acting like we're witnessing some superhuman speed. He was, and is, fast, yes, but there was no exceptional speed on display there.

I agree it endangers the fighters even more, but there is still no valid reason for banning it when other just as devastating techniques are allowed.
You can flying knee a dude in the face and break their skull and it's all legal.

If you think there is no reason to ban soccer kick, why should you not allow..

-hair pulling
-eye gauging?
-groint shots?
-strike back of the head?

A good example why soccer kicks and stomps should remain banned. It doesn't take skill to nearly kill a man that way.
I don't see a difference taking damage for example like luke rockhold beatdown to chris weidman 1

"This video is not sped up. Look at how fast an 18 year old Jose Aldo was."

What? Fucking cringe.

Why would anyone think the video was sped up, lmao. Guy tweeting that acting like we're witnessing some superhuman speed. He was, and is, fast, yes, but there was no exceptional speed on display there.

Diaz fans are so hateful, lol.

no its not.

i want to agree but alot of the time the fight is already over or about over by the time the kick comes. its not just what, but when.

now some of these are just fine but the ones that arnt, are not worth putting on espn. like at 2:36

A lot of these look more fucked up than they should be. The first one is a terrible stoppage by the ref. That dude was done before the kick was thrown.

So follow it up with punches or a submission. No reason to nearly break a neck or skull. So many on here whine about the fighters receiving CTE but then they want soccer kicks and stomps? Which is it? You can't have both for fucks sake lol.
Yeah, "death" ends fights pretty quickly. Soccer kicks have no place in this sport. No stomps either. 12-6 elbows should probably be allowed. I'm kind of on the fence with "knees to a grounded opponent's head".

Jarl
why not pfl rules they have no elbows plus unified rules. Or do you want defunct RINGS where their were no grounded head shots in the ground.

Back