Jose "Mantequilla" Napoles dead at 79

sweetviolenturg

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Napoles was a tremendous world welterweight champion back in the '60s - '70s during two reigns in which he successfully defended his title 13 titles against the like of Curtis Cokes, Emile Griffith, Ernie "Red" Lopez, Hedgemon Lewis & Armando Muniz. He earned the ring moniker of "Mantequilla" by being as slick as butter but he was also a deadly finisher.

IMG_20170927_150806.jpg
Napoles & me back in June of 1990 when he was inducted into the IBHOF in Canastota, NY. Interestingly enough Canastota is the home of Billy Backus the man to whom Napoles lost his title during his first reign as champion. But he regained it from Backus in their rematch.

I honestly thought Napoles died a few years ago.

One of those guys that gets overlooked in the historical picture sometimes.

RIP

Never watched any of his fights. Watched some highlights. Heard he was good but he doesn't get mentioned much

RIP none the less.

I honestly thought Napoles died a few years ago.

One of those guys that gets overlooked in the historical picture sometimes.

RIP
nope, we would have heard he died if that was the case, i'm constantly checking who's alive and who's not though, because many of the guys in the 70's and 80's won't make the national news when they die, billy costello is one i heard nothing about passing, not a great fighter but a champion. as far as napoles, the 80's boxing mags had sad stories saying he was dancing on countertops for money after he retired.

One of my favs. Great, great offensive boxer.

RIP

vaya con dios.
What a loss.
He was one of my favorite fighters. His fights with Lewis were some of my favorites watching those two work is a treat. Of course his battles with cokes were amazing and his uppercut against Lopez is one of my favorites.
What a warrior.
Where do y’all rank him among the Cubans all time?

vaya con dios.
What a loss.
He was one of my favorite fighters. His fights with Lewis were some of my favorites watching those two work is a treat. Of course his battles with cokes were amazing and his uppercut against Lopez is one of my favorites.
What a warrior.

As a pro, arguably the finest. In the discussion with Kid Chocolate and Kid Gavilan, I guess. Maybe Sugar Ramos, Feo Rodriguez, José Legra and JC Gomez belong in said discussion. I’d put Napoles above them all, but then again I’m a Napoles fan.

Last edited:
vaya con dios.
What a loss.
What a warrior.
Tough question let me counter with a slightly easier question where would you rank him in the all time welterweight rankings?

Tough question let me counter with a slightly easier question where would you rank him in the all time welterweight rankings?
How is that easier?
Ranking welterweight is basically impossible due to the consistent amount of killers that have campaigned at the weight from over 100 years ago to now.
If we are talking peeps we have a fair collection of watchable footage of that’s a good discussion. In that group I would put Napoles beneath the two big sugars and arguably beneath money but at the same level as Hearns.

How is that easier?
Ranking welterweight is basically impossible due to the consistent amount of killers that have campaigned at the weight from over 100 years ago to now.
If we are talking peeps we have a fair collection of watchable footage of that’s a good discussion. In that group I would put Napoles beneath the two big sugars and arguably beneath money but at the same level as Hearns.
For me it is little easier because my knowledge of Cubans outside of Jose Napoles and Kid Gavilan is lacking.

Could anyone recommend a fight or two of his to watch?

Damn, never heard of him before but just founds out that this cuban-mexican has avenged every loss he ever had in his 81-7 record except for the last one cause he retired, and the one against Monzon which I admire him for having the big cahonas to move up for that one. Monzon is a top 5 MW ATG by most(this was before super and junior classes existed).

Napoles was a tremendous world welterweight champion back in the '60s - '70s during two reigns in which he successfully defended his title 13 titles against the like of Curtis Cokes, Emile Griffith, Ernie "Red" Lopez, Hedgemon Lewis & Armando Muniz. He earned the ring moniker of "Mantequilla" by being as slick as butter but he was also a deadly finisher.

View attachment 631013
Napoles & me back in June of 1990 when he was inducted into the IBHOF in Canastota, NY. Interestingly enough Canastota is the home of Billy Backus the man to whom Napoles lost his title during his first reign as champion. But he regained it from Backus in their rematch.
Damn man, is there a famous boxer you don't have a picture with?

Could anyone recommend a fight or two of his to watch?
His fights with cokes, are intense..
him and Lewis put on a great show but is more of a chess match than a barn burner.
His ko of Lopez is fantastic it’s like a sniper shot. Those are my personal faves but his career is chock full of great fights

His fights with cokes, are intense..
him and Lewis put on a great show but is more of a chess match than a barn burner.
His ko of Lopez is fantastic it’s like a sniper shot. Those are my personal faves but his career is chock full of great fights

These are great picks. The statement he made in the Backus rematch is also worth a look.

These are great picks. The statement he made in the Backus rematch is also worth a look.
Well that first one was bs. :mad:

Seriously though Napoles was not a boring fighter you can pop on any of his fights and be entertained

Back