Jose "Mantequilla" Napoles dead at 79

there was a serious shortage of boring fighters in that era.
That era is overlooked especially for the lower weights nowadays outside of the biggest stars. But there were some seriously talented guys with some great fights in that era.

That era is overlooked especially for the lower weights nowadays outside of the biggest stars. But there were some seriously talented guys with some great fights in that era.
even some of the "lesser' fighter looked pretty solid by todays standards. the are some brilliant fighters that are basically unheard of these days. you don't hear lionel rose mentioned much but he was one of the most stylish boxers i have ever see.

even some of the "lesser' fighter looked pretty solid by todays standards. the are some brilliant fighters that are basically unheard of these days. you don't hear lionel rose mentioned much but he was one of the most stylish boxers i have ever see.
For sure although I can’t say he was a lesser fighter. Dude was a stud his battle with Harada should be legendary.
The lesser guys imo would have been guys like Chucho Castillo who are damn fine boxers but pretty much nobody remembers them outside of being the on the other side of famous champs that we see on YouTube highlights.

For sure although I can’t say he was a lesser fighter. Dude was a stud his battle with Harada should be legendary.
The lesser guys imo would have been guys like Chucho Castillo who are damn fine boxers but pretty much nobody remembers them outside of being the on the other side of famous champs that we see on YouTube highlights.
i wasn't really referring to rose as a lesser fighter, he still won a title and people have heard of him. i was actually thinking of hector thompson, a really good fighter that had the misfortune of being a lightweight in duran's era. legend has it that he broke durans rips. he possessed one of the strongest punches i have ever seen, his right uppercut counter. on a side note have you seen the way cervantes would counter with a lead uppercut moving backwards?
it's not a punch i have seen anybody else throw.

i wasn't really referring to rose as a lesser fighter, he still won a title and people have heard of him. i was actually thinking of hector thompson, a really good fighter that had the misfortune of being a lightweight in duran's era. legend has it that he broke durans rips. he possessed one of the strongest punches i have ever seen, his right uppercut counter. on a side note have you seen the way cervantes would counter with a lead uppercut moving backwards?
it's not a punch i have seen anybody else throw.
I feel like I have but I always want to rewatch footage on these types of things I always stress over the small details.
Although I am not well schooled on the Duran era lightweights. I am still getting acquainted with all the others . But you have-interested me. Uppercuts are something I have really been working on. I would love to see this. Currently I fall back on McCallum and gavilan for uppercut ideas. For example I saw gavilan hit a right uppercut off a lean against a southpaw pawing with the jab. (Going back to the pull counter thread in stand up forum)

Damn RIP to the champ. Definitely one of the greatest WWs of all time. Beautiful to watch box at times.

Back