Josh Taylor vs José Ramírez May 22nd ESPN TOP RANK

This seems to be sneaking up without any noticeable buzz building up.

I don’t get why Taylor isn’t a bigger star in the UK - great fighter, great attitude and a straight talker who has plenty to say.

IMO this fight has been under promoted by everyone involved here. TR took the bag and is holding this fight at the old Hard Rock so the crowd is going to be small.
Should be a really good fight.

Hoping Taylor wins but I got a feeling Ramirez grinds it out.

Hoping Taylor wins but I got a feeling Ramirez grinds it out.

I'm really on the fence with this one. I didn't think Taylor would beat Prograis but here we are so i can't rule the possibility he outboxes Ramirez all night, but then again i can see Ramirez making it a war and draining Taylor.

I'd like to see Prograis vs Ramirez at some point too.

I'm really on the fence with this one. I didn't think Taylor would beat Prograis but here we are so i can't rule the possibility he outboxes Ramirez all night, but then again i can see Ramirez making it a war and draining Taylor.

I'd like to see Prograis vs Ramirez at some point too.
Exactly, I remember the decision could have gone either way

This will be the 1st of 4 top rank shows at the formerly (Joint) venue at the Virgin Hotel (Hard Rock) in Las Vegas between May and June
This one is sold out but only a limited time of fans allowed

Very excited for this one. These guys will fight hard.

I feel like this fight will go mostly unnoticed but i bet if Josh was mexican we'd be hearing about it a lot more. This could quite easily turn into one of those mexican classics... even though Josh is scottish.

Exactly, I remember the decision could have gone either way

It was a close ish fight but i think Taylor clearly won. It would have been controversial if it went the other way imo. I think prograis is a better fighter than Ramirez, and a tougher fight stylistically. I’m more confident in josh for this fight and I picked him to beat prograis as well

It was a close ish fight but i think Taylor clearly won. It would have been controversial if it went the other way imo. I think prograis is a better fighter than Ramirez, and a tougher fight stylistically. I’m more confident in josh for this fight and I picked him to beat prograis as well

I for one wouldn't mind a Prograis rematch if Taylor beats Ramirez. They're a good matchup indeed.

Last edited:
FWIW I had Taylor 7-5 in the Prograis fight but thought Prog "looked better" even though I thought he lost the fight, if you know what I mean.

As in, I kinda came out of that going "Unless Prog is mentally ruined I'd back him to beat Taylor in a rematch after that", that fight just seemed to my eyes to take so much out of Taylor, some of those shots he stood up to were atrocious.

Now, you'd think that'd mean that I'd think that a hard boy like Ramirez might beat him but I think Taylor's too good a boxer to fight Ramirez's fight & I don't think JR is talented enough to impose himself. Not gonna be a cakewalk but I think Taylor's got this.

Wouldn't miss it for the fucking world, though!

Part 1 is earlier in the thread for anyone interested.

Taylor amazingly took Regis' best punches, lets see how he deals with Ramirez' volume and activity.

Taylor amazingly took Regis' best punches, lets see how he deals with Ramirez' volume and activity.

Personally I think prograis speed and power poses bigger problems for Taylor than Ramirez’s style.

I never thought highly of Ramirez, sloppy and hittable, if Taylor doesn't engage and buckle under Ramirez' pressure and volume he can outbox him with ease, my problem with Taylor is he showed too much machismo against Prograis and almost cost him, Ramirez may not be as skilled but does have a dog in him, point is, I hope Taylor doesn't underestimate Ramirez

Back